• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumors: Philip Rivers Considering Retirement

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Union-Tribune San Diego suggests Philip Rivers could retire after this season.

Rivers cut off extension talks with the Chargers in March due to relocation fears. It’s becoming increasingly clear that 2015 could be his last year in San Diego -- assuming he's a Charger this year at all. Rivers, 33, would reportedly consider retirement if confronted with playing in L.A. The Chargers are rumored to be interested in trading up for the No. 2 pick to draft Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.

I find this hard to believe, but that could shake up the draft a bit if true.
Also what is the deal with Rivers & LA? its not like he is far from there now.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been out there for a few weeks. Makes sense to me.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers worked out Mariota recently and I believe Winston too. Rivers says he wants to finish his career in the South. He's not going to retire. The Chargers won't be stupid enough to let him walk away for nothing. They'll trade him I think.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't LA less than 150 miles away from SD? What's the big deal Rivers?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have, it's speculated to be linked to any possible move to LA. Apparently, Phillip really doesn't want to move his family to LA or something along those lines. With the whole Brees/Rivers skit years ago, this seems like the most legit of the crazy trade rumors I have heard.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy these rumors. It's only a 90-120 minute drive from the area north of San Diego, where Rivers likely lives, to LA. If the team moved to LA, he wouldn't have to relocate if he really didn't want to.

Rivers likely has 3-4 seasons of close to pro bowl level production left in him. San Diego would be crazy to move on from him & Rivers would be crazy to retire with a likely $60 mil in salary still there to be earned in his next contract.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy these rumors. It's only a 90-120 minute drive from the area north of San Diego, where Rivers likely lives, to LA. If the team moved to LA, he wouldn't have to relocate if he really didn't want to.

Rivers likely has 3-4 seasons of close to pro bowl level production left in him. San Diego would be crazy to move on from him & Rivers would be crazy to retire with a likely $60 mil in salary still there to be earned in his next contract.
this is what I was thinking. He wouldn't have to relocate.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He lives in Athens, Alabama. Why he chooses to live there is beyond me.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't like LA Phil? How 'bout moving about 7 hours north of there? The weather's still fantastic. :nod:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers has 7 kids from what I heard yesterday. Football season is also school season so I can see why he might have some apprehension about moving to L.A.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why the fuck is there talk about him not wanting to relocate to LA?

A guy who chooses to live in Northern Alabama is obviously a little different than most of us.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers has 7 kids from what I heard yesterday. Football season is also school season so I can see why he might have some apprehension about moving to L.A.

Yep, this for sure. Rivers is a family man who doesn't really seem to like celebrity or need to spend a lot of money. If his kids go to school in San Diego, it seems quite normal for a 34-year-old QB who has made more money than he'll ever spend to call it quits. It's not like the guy is spending money like Mayweather or anything.

The question is where his kids go to school. If it is Alabama, this would make no sense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's your solution P.R.:

1. Tell your agent you want to be traded to the 49ers.
2. Hire a private teacher for all 7 of your kids.
3. Play in a home game for the Super Bowl this year.

:cool2:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everybody is about the money. At this point in his career he has already made $106 million and I am pretty sure that is just in football contracts. Throw in his endorsements and the guy has made more than enough to last the lifetime of him and his kids. So at this point he can choose to walk away if he thinks that is what is best for his family as LA is not exactly where most would pick to have their kids grow up. Throw in as others have pointed out he is not that big into being in the spotlight and being in LA well you just about can't avoid it. I would also say looking at what the Chargers have done they haven't exactly been the best at keeping all of his favorite teammates around. They have been one of the biggest tight wallet teams in the league letting many of his weapons just walk.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everybody is about the money. At this point in his career he has already made $106 million and I am pretty sure that is just in football contracts. Throw in his endorsements and the guy has made more than enough to last the lifetime of him and his kids. So at this point he can choose to walk away if he thinks that is what is best for his family as LA is not exactly where most would pick to have their kids grow up. Throw in as others have pointed out he is not that big into being in the spotlight and being in LA well you just about can't avoid it. I would also say looking at what the Chargers have done they haven't exactly been the best at keeping all of his favorite teammates around. They have been one of the biggest tight wallet teams in the league letting many of his weapons just walk.

I disagree about LA. There are so many stars in LA area that you can run into them everywhere. Californians tend to be less star-struck than other areas. There are plenty of great places to live in Southern California. I raised my kids there and they are exceptional and I'm quite proud of them. Trust me, you can raise an idiot in Alabama.
If it's time to quit, it's time. That more likely has to do with all the travel and injuries than anything to do with LA
If I get a chance to go back to SoCal, I'll be there quickly! No, it won't be Burbank.....