• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone else think that we should make a compelling offer to the white sox to pry Sale from them?.....they are clearly going to be sellers and aside from Sale, they really dont have any chips that would net them top tier prospects. I really like Sale, I am a huge fan of power pitchers and he is locked up through at least 2017 and is already an ace pitching in the AL....I think a package starting with Profar and Perez might change their mind about trading him....anyone else have thoughts on this?

The bold blow my mind, and the underline tells me you are joking.

No way Profar "starts" any trade talks, and no way he is packaged with another young SP for Sale.

But it is better than the ESPN guy on trades he would like to see: Profar + Gallo for Stanton and Ramos. Gag

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone else think that we should make a compelling offer to the white sox to pry Sale from them?.....they are clearly going to be sellers and aside from Sale, they really dont have any chips that would net them top tier prospects. I really like Sale, I am a huge fan of power pitchers and he is locked up through at least 2017 and is already an ace pitching in the AL....I think a package starting with Profar and Perez might change their mind about trading him....anyone else have thoughts on this?

No not really, actually no, not at all

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold blow my mind, and the underline tells me you are joking.

No way Profar "starts" any trade talks, and no way he is packaged with another young SP for Sale.

But it is better than the ESPN guy on trades he would like to see: Profar + Gallo for Stanton and Ramos. Gag

I see his offer as WORSE b/c it includes a young starting pitcher

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aoki anyone?

Not at what it would cost to get him. He would represent an upgrade over Murphy and would slot in nicely in the lineup behind Kinsler as a solid contact hitter/base stealer. But as Romeo pointed out, his power potential is limited and his .366 OBP (while really high) isn't enough to justify trading a top prospect for him instead of just playing Beltre or even Murphy (ugh).

I read that the Rangers were interested in a package of Aoki and Gallardo, which I hope is entirely false. Gallardo's velocity and K/9 has declined for 3 years in a row and his current ERA is almost at 5.00. He'd be an upgrade over the likes of Lindblom and Grimm for sure, but like with Aoki, at what cost? Supposedly Milwaukee wants quality pitching prospects in return.

No thanks. I'd rather roll the dice with Garza or pay the cost to get Lee. If you're gonna part with prospects, you might as well get a significant piece in return instead of a 2nd/3rd tier guy. We all saw how effective Ryan Dempster was last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really want him on our payroll when his elbow explodes.

I am with you all the way on that. There is just something about his delivery and body stature that tells me this guy will have issues which has already happened. And I want to keep Perez. Just 21 and looks like he is getting it together.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you all the way on that. There is just something about his delivery and body stature that tells me this guy will have issues which has already happened. And I want to keep Perez. Just 21 and looks like he is getting it together.

Perez should be pretty close to untouchable.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at what it would cost to get him. He would represent an upgrade over Murphy and would slot in nicely in the lineup behind Kinsler as a solid contact hitter/base stealer. But as Romeo pointed out, his power potential is limited and his .366 OBP (while really high) isn't enough to justify trading a top prospect for him instead of just playing Beltre or even Murphy (ugh).

I read that the Rangers were interested in a package of Aoki and Gallardo, which I hope is entirely false. Gallardo's velocity and K/9 has declined for 3 years in a row and his current ERA is almost at 5.00. He'd be an upgrade over the likes of Lindblom and Grimm for sure, but like with Aoki, at what cost? Supposedly Milwaukee wants quality pitching prospects in return.

No thanks. I'd rather roll the dice with Garza or pay the cost to get Lee. If you're gonna part with prospects, you might as well get a significant piece in return instead of a 2nd/3rd tier guy. We all saw how effective Ryan Dempster was last season.

Dempster was a good acquisition that didn't work out. We really didn't give much to get him.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo and Aoki for me would depend on what they wanted in return, I'd be good with a top prospect but certainly not Profar, Perez or Martin. Nothing short of Stanton or Price for those fellas

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dempster was a good acquisition that didn't work out. We really didn't give much to get him.

Didn't mean to suggest he was awful.

It's true the Rangers didn't give up a ton to get him, but that's because he's a very average pitcher. You get what you pay for. Dempster is a lifetime 4.32 ERA pitcher and he didn't quite live up to that with Texas, allowing just over 5 runs per game. He was ok though and actually battled to win 7 games for the Rangers.

But that is my point here though. I don't want to see the Rangers trade some nobody prospect just to acquire another "ok" starter. I'd rather them up the offer and bring in a guy that can be a legit force in the playoffs. Cliff Lee, David Price, and even Matt Garza to a lesser extent fit that mold. I don't see Gallardo being anything other than another Dempster, just "ok" at best.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel gallardo is much better than some give him credit for. He's got fantastic stuff, and he actually pitches in a park thats more of a HR park than ours is. Dempster had average stuff, therefore had average numbers. Gallardo has plus stuff, and I feel he's ready for a breakthrough. He just needs a change in scenery. Also, he never gets hurt...and thats HUGE.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel gallardo is much better than some give him credit for. He's got fantastic stuff, and he actually pitches in a park thats more of a HR park than ours is. Dempster had average stuff, therefore had average numbers. Gallardo has plus stuff, and I feel he's ready for a breakthrough. He just needs a change in scenery. Also, he never gets hurt...and thats HUGE.

Gallardo's peripherals and velocity have been declining for three years. Breakout? I don't think so.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still consistently 92-94 with a fantastic breaking ball. Dont know much about anything else, but that's better than what we got and cheaper than garza

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still consistently 92-94 with a fantastic breaking ball. Dont know much about anything else, but that's better than what we got and cheaper than garza

Gallardo hasn't been consistently 92-94 with his fastball since the 2010 season. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but he's averaging 90.7 MPH this season. In 2011 he averaged right at 92 MPH. His velocity has dipped 3 straight seasons in a row as has his K/9. Meanwhile, both his ERA and WHIP have steadily increased since then. He's still dominant from time to time but nowhere near the TORP he was in 2010. In fact, he got absolutely shelled as recently as July 1, giving up 8 runs in just 3 innings.

While it's true he does pitch in a hitter's park, RBIA is also a hitter's haven, so it's not logical to assume his numbers would dramatically improve due to the park factor (especially when you factor in facing a DH every night). If this were 2010 I'd say yes. But in 2013, too many warning signs say no. We need to replace Grimm and Tepesch, just not with someone with red flags like Gallardo.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo hasn't been consistently 92-94 with his fastball since the 2010 season. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but he's averaging 90.7 MPH this season. In 2011 he averaged right at 92 MPH. His velocity has dipped 3 straight seasons in a row as has his K/9. Meanwhile, both his ERA and WHIP have steadily increased since then. He's still dominant from time to time but nowhere near the TORP he was in 2010. In fact, he got absolutely shelled as recently as July 1, giving up 8 runs in just 3 innings.

While it's true he does pitch in a hitter's park, RBIA is also a hitter's haven, so it's not logical to assume his numbers would dramatically improve due to the park factor (especially when you factor in facing a DH every night). If this were 2010 I'd say yes. But in 2013, too many warning signs say no. We need to replace Grimm and Tepesch, just not with someone with red flags like Gallardo.

:clap::nod::10:

For once I had no desire to look up the facts

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap::nod::10:

For once I had no desire to look up the facts

Simple assessment of Gallardo this season vs Dempster last season says his move to the AL this year wouldn't prove to be any better than the options we keep running out there. I have no interest in trading even a low level prospect for less than what we already have. I see no reason to make a significant move unless we get considerably better. Grab a guy that saves our BP,that eats innings and won't cost us much in prospects and makes us better for a playoff run this season. If you have to give up something for a rental so beit. We have one of the best seasons in Rangers history going and a couple moves could put us over the top. Grab a bat decent RH bat and pitcher and let's make a deep run in the playoffs, we have plenty of guys on the farm to contend for years

Wkbrdr2234

Ranger Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No interest. None.
I'll take Aoki, he's cheap, and very productive in every aspect of the game. Only three players managed to hit at least 10 home runs, steal 30 bases, and have an OBP of .350 or more last year: Braun, Mike Trout and Aoki. Not interested in Gallardo but depending on the cost of these two, he would be an upgrade over the rookies. Ogando is getting knocked around in his rehab starts, which makes a mediocre pitcher like Gallardo look more and more appealing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Aoki, he's cheap, and very productive in every aspect of the game. Only three players managed to hit at least 10 home runs, steal 30 bases, and have an OBP of .350 or more last year: Braun, Mike Trout and Aoki. Not interested in Gallardo but depending on the cost of these two, he would be an upgrade over the rookies. Ogando is getting knocked around in his rehab starts, which makes a mediocre pitcher like Gallardo look more and more appealing.

Ogando got knocked around all through spring training too because he was working on things. Then the season started and he had several good games. I'm not as worried about the results as long as the pitches, velocity, and health are there.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone on Danks? Pitching tonight, will pay attention.