• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only significant injuries was a knee injury and hamstring, which are both pretty common. If the Marlins got desperate and wanted to trade him while he's hurting it would be a blessing in disguise, as his value would come down a bit, but I doubt they are that dumb, and will hold on to him until his trade value increases again. Not sure why you are down on Garza, he's been nothing but a solid #2 his whole career, consistently putting up good numbers, something we are not used to from our rotation of complete inconsistency outside of Darvish. If the Rangers trade for an OF bat over using Baker, I think Rios is the most realistic option, good all around player.

Stanton's had some sort of injury almost every year so far, doesn't bode well long term

Garza, I don't trust b/c he's an extreme flyball pitcher and I've just never cared for him, but as long as the price is right, which now is the time it would be most right, then I'd be ok with him as a rental, but I certainly would never sign him to a long term deal

And I would classify garza as a solid 3 not a 2

And Holland has been just as consistent as Darvish this year,

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Miguel Cabrera 6'4 240 stays healthy. You just compared a former tweaker to 6'4+ MLB population?

Yeah the sample was specifically 6'5 240+, maybe even 6'6+

I can't remember or find the article

Last edited by a moderator:

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the sample was specifically 6'5 240+, maybe even 6'6+

I can't remember or find the article
I'm sure the list couldn't be too long. How many MLB players have even been that size? Frank Thomas comes to mind, was around that exact size. But can't think of too many. I know in general people that large that are active are going to have more problems then someone of a smaller size, but I would think it would be less in baseball than say basketball.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the list couldn't be too long. How many MLB players have even been that size? Frank Thomas comes to mind, was around that exact size. But can't think of too many. I know in general people that large that are active are going to have more problems then someone of a smaller size, but I would think it would be less in baseball than say basketball.

All it says is that only Frank Howard and Adam Dunn are the only 2 to even collect as many AB's as Stanton has thus far

"Rather than one large injury robbing him of a chunk of time, Stanton keeps missing games because of various smaller problems."

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only significant injuries was a knee injury and hamstring, which are both pretty common. If the Marlins got desperate and wanted to trade him while he's hurting it would be a blessing in disguise, as his value would come down a bit, but I doubt they are that dumb, and will hold on to him until his trade value increases again. Not sure why you are down on Garza, he's been nothing but a solid #2 his whole career, consistently putting up good numbers, something we are not used to from our rotation of complete inconsistency outside of Darvish. If the Rangers trade for an OF bat over using Baker, I think Rios is the most realistic option, good all around player.

He's also had shoulder problems as well, all told, point is its a pretty extensive injury list for someone that hasn't been around all that long

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think Frank Thomas was "only" 6'5" but he himself had tons of injury issues after a relatively healthy start to his career

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok Miguel Cabrera 6'4 240 stays healthy. You just compared a former tweaker to 6'4+ MLB population?

Well I wonder if that might be reason for Miggy's success ... and in any case I'm betting he's not available at the deadline.

So ... who else out there who is available, not injury prone, isn't defensively challenged and hits LHP as effectively as Baker?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I wonder if that might be reason for Miggy's success ... and in any case I'm betting he's not available at the deadline.

So ... who else out there who is available, not injury prone, isn't defensively challenged and hits LHP as effectively as Baker?

Rios hits LHPs pretty well (294/.351/.456 this season and .284/.330/.452 career), isn't injury prone and solid defensively and certainly available

Wkbrdr2234

Ranger Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Rios has to be the most realistic option without giving up the farm, and with the latest report coming out confirming Braun along with 20 unnamed players (assuming cruz) we need some insurance and I'm hoping JD didn't go get Manny for that specific purpose. I wouldn't mind signing Garza long term if the price was market value for #2-#3. Who knows if Harrison's injury will be a lingering lower back issue that Harren has battled the past 3 seasons? Also, who is going to be available? Josh Johnson? I like his arm, but he hasn't been the same since his injury.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Rios has to be the most realistic option without giving up the farm, and with the latest report coming out confirming Braun along with 20 unnamed players (assuming cruz) we need some insurance and I'm hoping JD didn't go get Manny for that specific purpose. I wouldn't mind signing Garza long term if the price was market value for #2-#3. Who knows if Harrison's injury will be a lingering lower back issue that Harren has battled the past 3 seasons? Also, who is going to be available? Josh Johnson? I like his arm, but he hasn't been the same since his injury.

if we lose Cruz then we're going to need at least 2 bats. we also need a Starter

Wkbrdr2234

Ranger Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we lose cruz......dont bother, just wait until next year, imo
Thats fine too, I just think these young guys have enough talent that it wouldn't necessarily be a throw in the towel scenario. But yea, that would probably be the safer plan in regards to the future.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one thing that's been consistent about JD, its that he likes to make a splash at the break. I wouldn't be surprised to see a multi player deal, with the Rangers parting with some solid prospects for a bat and a pitcher that can help.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If there is one thing that's been consistent about JD, its that he likes to make a splash at the break. I wouldn't be surprised to see a multi player deal, with the Rangers parting with some solid prospects for a bat and a pitcher that can help.

Don't think any team is going to move until MLB acts on Biogenesis. Doesn't matter that the player's union will probably fight or delay any action ... but this is business and no business is going to spend its future capital on current capital without knowing where/how MLB actions may affect their business. IMO.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think any team is going to move until MLB acts on Biogenesis. Doesn't matter that the player's union will probably fight or delay any action ... but this is business and no business is going to spend its future capital on current capital without knowing where/how MLB actions may affect their business. IMO.

Of course mlb won't be handing down their suspensions until after the all star game so they can make that $$$$.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is rios in the last year of his deal?

No, he makes 13 million next year

Which I thought he was overpaid, but generally 1 WAR is valued at 4-5 million and he almost always gets to 3-4 WAR in a season, due to solid batting, baserunning and defensive numbers