• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Personally I've always thought Profar might end up at 3B long term

With Gallo being the only young 3B in the system, and he stinks defensively, then something creative needs to be done

No offense to Olt, but he's already 24 or so

I agree Gallo might wind up in the Of.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the every organization evaluates long-term needs and short-term needs....the A-Gon trade was a result of a young GM in a situation where he was trying to make a push for the playoffs and a name for himself. Pretty sure it was more of the Padres GM exploiting that than trading a guy just because he is blocked.....While I do agree you shouldnt include a guy in a trade just because he is blocked, trading guys to fill holes is part of building a championship team. The trade deadline is generally more about trading for the short term rather than the long term, but I think that is changing now with the new CBA rules and teams are trading guys with more than a year left on their contract. As for the Rangers prospect depth, we have so many middle infield specs that it is necessary for us to include a couple in trades to fill our wholes, its just inevitable. They need to evaluate which guys they see as future roster players. Right now Andrus, Kinsler, and Profar seem to be the guys in the middle infield for at lest the next couple years. Andrus just signed an extension so I dont think he will be going anywhere for the next 5+ years, Profar isnt even arb. eligible yet, but I could see Kinsler being the odd man out once his contract comes closer to the end. The wont be for another couple years though, so you got guys like Garcia, Sardinas, and Odor looking to be in the mix for a spot once that time comes around. So while we shouldnt trade guys just because they are blocked, there are at least 3 guys in the middle infield that will be blocked for the next 5+ years and it would be smarter to use them to fill holes rather than let them sit there and either rot on the bench or in the minors.....im not saying to trade them for the sake of making a trade, but it would be smart to include some of these guys when making a smart trade because of the depth we have at middle infield.

Totally agree about the MIF guys, to me young guys to keep are Odor & Profar; Andrus or Kinsler on this team or not

I for one do not think Kinsler is durable enough to be counted on, and Andrus' bat is certainly a crapshoot, I think this year is an outlier but certainly something worth noting and then there are always injuries... A couple guys can go, but don't get crazy here

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not, Stanton's health issues this year are kind of the last straw in any interest I had in him

Sure, but I ask again, why the hell are we showing any interest in Ruggiano?

skilledwolf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't we want to admit we're scouting Stanton? Will they be less likely to trade him to us if they know we're scouting him? Eventually they'll know we want him.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't we want to admit we're scouting Stanton? Will they be less likely to trade him to us if they know we're scouting him? Eventually they'll know we want him.

It's more about not letting other teams know we're interested in him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm certainly no Garza fan, but he's probably the best move for the Rangers at this point with Grimm continuing to stink and Tepesch getting DL'd,

With the lack of progress by DL'd starters and lack of continuing uncertainty with the young guys, we need another guy, 1 rookie starter pitching OK is fine but 1 pitching that way and one sucking it up is too much

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm certainly no Garza fan, but he's probably the best move for the Rangers at this point with Grimm continuing to stink and Tepesch getting DL'd,

With the lack of progress by DL'd starters and lack of continuing uncertainty with the young guys, we need another guy, 1 rookie starter pitching OK is fine but 1 pitching that way and one sucking it up is too much

The pimental/Ramirez discussion sure is an interesting one. Like you said, could be the start of a nice package.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it is an interesting discussion. Don't forget to add bonilla's name in their as well. The scout for the marlins is interesting. But as of now, I think I'd honestly rather have a pitcher. I mean if we were gonna get stanton, it would take a hell of a lot more than ramirez and bonilla.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it is an interesting discussion. Don't forget to add bonilla's name in their as well. The scout for the marlins is interesting. But as of now, I think I'd honestly rather have a pitcher. I mean if we were gonna get stanton, it would take a hell of a lot more than ramirez and bonilla.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they acquired Stanton. And I'm a little bit with jta in that I'm not sure I'd want to incur the risk given the cost.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have cooled off on stanton completely........he needs to stay healthy and crush the ball before i want him on my team

.....and i was very high on him this year(thought he was gonna break out)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have cooled off on stanton completely........he needs to stay healthy and crush the ball before i want him on my team

.....and i was very high on him this year(thought he was gonna break out)

I was very bearish on his injury history to begin with and then I read a story somewhere about the almost total lack of hitters having long productive careers when they are around Stanton's size (6'5"+ & 240lbs+), due to mostly knee and back injuries

Wkbrdr2234

Ranger Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very bearish on his injury history to begin with and then I read a story somewhere about the almost total lack of hitters having long productive careers when they are around Stanton's size (6'5"+ & 240lbs+), due to mostly knee and back injuries
Only significant injuries was a knee injury and hamstring, which are both pretty common. If the Marlins got desperate and wanted to trade him while he's hurting it would be a blessing in disguise, as his value would come down a bit, but I doubt they are that dumb, and will hold on to him until his trade value increases again. Not sure why you are down on Garza, he's been nothing but a solid #2 his whole career, consistently putting up good numbers, something we are not used to from our rotation of complete inconsistency outside of Darvish. If the Rangers trade for an OF bat over using Baker, I think Rios is the most realistic option, good all around player.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ruggiano, I mean im not sure if their interest is legit, but we do need a right handed bat and he would be cheap to get over a guy like Rios in which he would cost a lot more and might not even produce better than a Ruggiano.

Wkbrdr2234

Ranger Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ruggiano, I mean im not sure if their interest is legit, but we do need a right handed bat and he would be cheap to get over a guy like Rios in which he would cost a lot more and might not even produce better than a Ruggiano.
I would rather put Baker in LF than trade for a guy that isn't a significant upgrade at the position. I wouldn't be upset if Baker played LF anyway, but Rio's would be a good fit and you could switch Baker from DH to IF through the second half.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hmmm ... injury prevalence of guys that size ... e.g. Josh Hamilton (6'-4", 225#) case in point.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would rather put Baker in LF than trade for a guy that isn't a significant upgrade at the position. I wouldn't be upset if Baker played LF anyway, but Rio's would be a good fit and you could switch Baker from DH to IF through the second half.

Baker career vs/LHP 50pts higher and OF FPCT 10 pts higher than Ruggiano. Ruggiano has exactly 1 game at 3b and 1 game at 1b in the minors. All Ruggiano is would be another #4 to platoon with #4 Murphy.