• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree and wasnt profar projected for 3rd when he filled out????

that will be awhile down the road anyways.......but i will take your word on keeping odor

just looked him up says he can hit....not going to bring much pop though

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that will be awhile down the road anyways.......but i will take your word on keeping odor

Doubles guy, might fill out to hit around 10-15 HRs, getting that from your 2B is pretty good

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are a couple of thoughts after reading the posts above.

1. We're not getting Garza without including two top prospects. The cubs will want the moon because they know they can offer him arbitration and get two high picks because Garza will be in demand this offseason.
I don't want to make the kind of trade the Angels did to get Greinke just because we think we have too. I'd rather keep our young players and trade them for someone who will be more than a rental.

2. Nobody wants David Murphy. I've seen him included in some of the trades but why would anyone want him. He's playing like crap and he's a free agent after this year. If anything we could resign him on a make good deal so he can try to bring his value up.

3. Are we really a World Series contender or are we just a playoff contender? I think we have too many wholes to fill at the trade deadline and would have to blow up our system to fill them. I'd rather continue to let our guys develop and make some deal this winter to put us over the top next year. I'm not interested in stop gaps. We need to trade for guys who are either going to be here for 3 years or we need to develop what we have. We've got to continue to balance the win now and win 3 years from now plan that we've been following.

4. I think we can take care of some of our holes next year from within and by making one signing. We really need a corner OFer so we sign the Cuban defector, Dariel Alvarez . Play Alvarez, Martin, Kinsler/Profar in the outfield and resign Nellie to play DH. Heck, you could use Profar as the supersub to give guys time at DH. Say we let Nellie play 50 games in the OF and during those games Profar is playing the other positions. Adrian, Elvis, and Ian could split those games at DH.

Ok, I'm going to stop now. I've been gone too long and could type forever.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In number 4 I'd first see what it would take to get Stanton and if we could pull that off I'd do that over signing Alvarez. The only prospects I wouldn't give up for Stanton are Profar, Martin Perez, and Alfaro. Everyone else is on the table. I might trade Ross or Scheppers if they were the key pieces to the trade.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In number 4 I'd first see what it would take to get Stanton and if we could pull that off I'd do that over signing Alvarez. The only prospects I wouldn't give up for Stanton are Profar, Martin Perez, and Alfaro. Everyone else is on the table. I might trade Ross or Scheppers if they were the key pieces to the trade.

Then you're not getting Stanton, end of story

That's ok by me though, I'm not a big Stanton fan, mostly injury related

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Garza will be in demand this offseason, and you're right the Cubs would offer him arbitration and you have to recoup that, but he's not worth a Profar... we have plenty of valuable guys that could get this done due to redundancy in the system at certain positions.... We can afford a trade for Garza

2. Its not that people WANT Murphy, but he'll be included in a deal simply to clear out a logjam and another team can waive him if they want, part of his value is he DOESN'T have a contract for next year, so team looking to clear payroll like the ChiSox and Rockies, get a potential rest of the season replacement on the cheap, without having to start the service clock on a young guy, he's off the books completely after this season, so if included in a deal for lets say a Rios, they dump the rest of Rios' 18-20 million in exchange for Murphy's 3-4 million, thats a savings of around 15 million over the next 1.5 years

3. That's for JD to decide, once that's done I'm ok with either honestly, I always assumed this would a year of struggles with a hard fought division title or wild card berth or out all together, but certainly a team with holes

4. No guarantees that the Alvarez kid is anywhere close to ready, he could be a Cespedes or could be Martin (2-3 years away)... This scenario is overly optimistic at best and seems to create more problems then it solves

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jta nailed it.........

i would just like to add in regards to number 3.........yes they need to keep an eye on the future,but prospects are prospects and a lot of them fail. what is the point in having a bunch of good prospects blocked by mlb/better prospects....you are gonna have to pull the trigger on deals and thats where we trust jd

i would say with the injured players we have coming back and a bat(rios,??) or a arm we will definitely be a WS contender......we have the 3rd best record in the AL and we have been "struggling" lately

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes I wonder if there something about playing in Myrtle Beach and the Caroline league in general when it comes to HRs. The league leader has 21 and then you have 7 players with 10 or more. But Odor is 2nd in doubles 2 behind the leader with 26. To me that is a good sign. I have never seen him play so not sure how slick he is in the field but he is only 19 so I agree about he is a keeper.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I've always thought Profar might end up at 3B long term

With Gallo being the only young 3B in the system, and he stinks defensively, then something creative needs to be done

No offense to Olt, but he's already 24 or so

Not only that but Gallo is a strike out machine. He is big at 6'5" so if he could put it all together look out. But right now I am on the fence about this guy.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that but Gallo is a strike out machine. He is big at 6'5" so if he could put it all together look out. But right now I am on the fence about this guy.

Guy will almost surely get moved to 1b or COF.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are a couple of thoughts after reading the posts above.

1. We're not getting Garza without including two top prospects. The cubs will want the moon because they know they can offer him arbitration and get two high picks because Garza will be in demand this offseason.
I don't want to make the kind of trade the Angels did to get Greinke just because we think we have too. I'd rather keep our young players and trade them for someone who will be more than a rental.

I think you mean a qualifying offer, not arbitration. That said, they would get one compensatory first round pick if they offered and he walked. Not two.

[/QUOTE]2. Nobody wants David Murphy. I've seen him included in some of the trades but why would anyone want him. He's playing like crap and he's a free agent after this year. If anything we could resign him on a make good deal so he can try to bring his value up. [/QUOTE]

He would just be a throw in. If you're taking somebody's COF for the rest of the season they'll need someone to stick out there for the rest of the season.

[/QUOTE]3. Are we really a World Series contender or are we just a playoff contender? I think we have too many wholes to fill at the trade deadline and would have to blow up our system to fill them. I'd rather continue to let our guys develop and make some deal this winter to put us over the top next year. I'm not interested in stop gaps. We need to trade for guys who are either going to be here for 3 years or we need to develop what we have. We've got to continue to balance the win now and win 3 years from now plan that we've been following. [/QUOTE]

It's all about making it to the playoffs at the right time and getting hot. If we fill a couple holes we've got a legitimate shot.

[/QUOTE]4. I think we can take care of some of our holes next year from within and by making one signing. We really need a corner OFer so we sign the Cuban defector, Dariel Alvarez . Play Alvarez, Martin, Kinsler/Profar in the outfield and resign Nellie to play DH. Heck, you could use Profar as the supersub to give guys time at DH. Say we let Nellie play 50 games in the OF and during those games Profar is playing the other positions. Adrian, Elvis, and Ian could split those games at DH. [/QUOTE]

Hard to say what we do in the OF next year, but there's no guarantee that kid is MLB ready. Martin needed a full season in AAA before he was ready.

[/QUOTE]Ok, I'm going to stop now. I've been gone too long and could type forever.[/QUOTE]

Don't stay away so long stranger.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shouldnt cost too much (crawford)....lee will take some prospects but not much of the top prospects[/QUOTE]

I think JD's notion of getting an extra power bat is Manny down in AAA RR.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jta nailed it.........

i would just like to add in regards to number 3.........yes they need to keep an eye on the future,but prospects are prospects and a lot of them fail. what is the point in having a bunch of good prospects blocked by mlb/better prospects....you are gonna have to pull the trigger on deals and thats where we trust jd

i would say with the injured players we have coming back and a bat(rios,??) or a arm we will definitely be a WS contender......we have the 3rd best record in the AL and we have been "struggling" lately

Its this EXACT line of thinking that got us in trouble with guys like Adrian Gonzalez and Mark Texiera, future assets are future assets, and THAT'S how you build a successful LONG-TERM franchise as the Rangers have been doing essentially since the Texeira trade

Prospects are just prospects, but you don't just toss guys to the side b/c they are blocked now, Odor is at least 2 years away, we have no idea whats going to happen with someone like Kinsler or Beltre or even Andrus that shapes the formation of this ballclub

Pitching prospects are ESPECIALLY valuable as you never know when a rash of injuries will force guys up (cough cough)

Luis Sardinas is currently blocked in every imaginable way, he's was the 4th ranked prospect in a system that started the year 3rd-5th depending on who you asked, that has value, and you don't just throw guys away b/c they are blocked

Its only takes a couple short-sided trades in a given year to strip away a solid farm system and reduce your ability to make any trades at all in the future

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shouldnt cost too much (crawford)....lee will take some prospects but not much of the top prospects

I think JD's notion of getting an extra power bat is Manny down in AAA RR.[/QUOTE]

Manny is JD's contingency plan C or D.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo also walks a lot, which speaks more to his future performance than the fact that he strikes out a lot now

Are his strikeouts a product of taking a lot of pitches and not being exactly sure which ones are ball and which ones are strikes? Is he developing his eye at the plate with those borderline pitches?

Obviously I don't have advanced numbers on Gallo due to the fact that I'm not a scout, but thats an interesting question to be answered

Obviously he's swinging and missing a lot as well, but I wonder how much of his striking out is due to taking pitches, a la a young Adam Dunn, hopefully he doesn't go totally the way of Dunn and develops an ability to hit in a addition to walking and hitting HRs

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its this EXACT line of thinking that got us in trouble with guys like Adrian Gonzalez and Mark Texiera, future assets are future assets, and THAT'S how you build a successful LONG-TERM franchise as the Rangers have been doing essentially since the Texeira trade

Prospects are just prospects, but you don't just toss guys to the side b/c they are blocked now, Odor is at least 2 years away, we have no idea whats going to happen with someone like Kinsler or Beltre or even Andrus that shapes the formation of this ballclub

Pitching prospects are ESPECIALLY valuable as you never know when a rash of injuries will force guys up (cough cough)

Luis Sardinas is currently blocked in every imaginable way, he's was the 4th ranked prospect in a system that started the year 3rd-5th depending on who you asked, that has value, and you don't just throw guys away b/c they are blocked

Its only takes a couple short-sided trades in a given year to strip away a solid farm system and reduce your ability to make any trades at all in the future

I've brought up the Adrian Gonzalez issue several times. Perfect example of why you don't get rid of guys just because they are "blocked".

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking about garza and the cubs, and that little bit of good will when we exchanged pitchers with them when the one we traded for soto got hurt. Seems the front office may have been laying the groundwork for a garza trade the entire time. Epstein and JD are very similar GM's and seem to respect one another. Just something to fuel the speculation fire.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i did say they have to keep an eye on the future.....:)

but at some point its a bit redundant right.....elvis,ian,profar,garcia,sardinas,
odor,lil profar(and i am sure i am probably missing a couple of other 2b/ss guys)

i like keeping the farm stacked but on the other hand sometimes it is best to sell high (smoak???)

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the every organization evaluates long-term needs and short-term needs....the A-Gon trade was a result of a young GM in a situation where he was trying to make a push for the playoffs and a name for himself. Pretty sure it was more of the Padres GM exploiting that than trading a guy just because he is blocked.....While I do agree you shouldnt include a guy in a trade just because he is blocked, trading guys to fill holes is part of building a championship team. The trade deadline is generally more about trading for the short term rather than the long term, but I think that is changing now with the new CBA rules and teams are trading guys with more than a year left on their contract. As for the Rangers prospect depth, we have so many middle infield specs that it is necessary for us to include a couple in trades to fill our wholes, its just inevitable. They need to evaluate which guys they see as future roster players. Right now Andrus, Kinsler, and Profar seem to be the guys in the middle infield for at lest the next couple years. Andrus just signed an extension so I dont think he will be going anywhere for the next 5+ years, Profar isnt even arb. eligible yet, but I could see Kinsler being the odd man out once his contract comes closer to the end. The wont be for another couple years though, so you got guys like Garcia, Sardinas, and Odor looking to be in the mix for a spot once that time comes around. So while we shouldnt trade guys just because they are blocked, there are at least 3 guys in the middle infield that will be blocked for the next 5+ years and it would be smarter to use them to fill holes rather than let them sit there and either rot on the bench or in the minors.....im not saying to trade them for the sake of making a trade, but it would be smart to include some of these guys when making a smart trade because of the depth we have at middle infield.