• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers look to shake off a frustrating homestand: TEX @ CLE 6/6-8

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has excellent bat control, a high baseball IQ, and he is a hard worker. I expect really good things from him. He will never hit HRs like Duran, Foscue, Harris or Crim, but he will accomplish great things I think.
Definitely agree And has poise. Looked like he is ok in the big moments

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Damn, that should be a hit': MLB players sound off on the infield shift -- before it could disappear forever

"Joe Maddon and Tampa, they were at the forefront," free-agent hitter Mitch Moreland said. "I remember my debut in 2010, I hit two balls in the 4-hole for hits. That would never have been hits later in my career. It got extreme over the next few years."

In 2021, Moreland ranked seventh among all MLB hitters, getting shifted against 90.2% of the time (minimum of 100 balls in play), according to ESPN Stats & Information research. It led to an OPS 63 points below his career average, and now he's still looking to catch on with a team.

Perhaps the player with the most to gripe about is Texas Rangers outfielder Kole Calhoun. He has faced more shifts than any other hitter over the past two seasons -- in 96.7% of his at-bats -- and the potential hits lost have weighed on him.

"When I first came up, you could be having a bad day and roll a ball over in the 4-hole, and now you're 1-for-4," Calhoun said. "It doesn't let you fall into as deep a slump as what could possibly happen in today's game, your 0-for-20s and 1-for-30s ... You can kind of salvage your day with something that's kind of easy for every hitter. That's not there anymore."

Moreland and Calhoun are among the many who have been most shifted against, but neither has become the face of frustration on the subject. That title is reserved for Gallo, who has a .204 career batting average and has faced the shift in 91.4% of his at-bats since the start of the 2021 season. He's hitting just .176 this season.

"Growing up, we never had that," Gallo said. "It's tough to adjust to it because it wasn't a thing in the minors. ... Over time it's gotten more extreme and more effective. From a hitter's standpoint, it's something that could be changed."

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have never changed it to begin with, I would have let the whiners fume...
I get the Wahoo stereotype and maybe sending the wrong message. Yeah probably not best to throw the good history down the toilet

FWIW. My youngest is a DS daughter who incidentally is wearing a Ranger shirt to school today. I tease her relentlessly out of love but also to toughen her up for the real cruelness out there. Point is the pushback from society on lots that is innocent good fun not at others expense is maddening
It actually does more harm than good
I am all for equality and sensitivity but this
Correctness takes away so much good
Just an opinion. Carry on

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the Wahoo stereotype and maybe sending the wrong message. Yeah probably not best to throw the good history down the toilet

FWIW. My youngest is a DS daughter who incidentally is wearing a Ranger shirt to school today. I tease her relentlessly out of love but also to toughen her up for the real cruelness out there. Point is the pushback from society on lots that is innocent good fun not at others expense is maddening
It actually does more harm than good
I am all for equality and sensitivity but this
Correctness takes away so much good
Just an opinion. Carry on

name change doesn't bother me. no one is erasing the Indians portion of the franchise from the history books. Can't think of a franchise that hasn't had their name changed for one reason or another. in 20 years no one will think twice about the team being the Guardians.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
name change doesn't bother me. no one is erasing the Indians portion of the franchise from the history books. Can't think of a franchise that hasn't had their name changed for one reason or another. in 20 years no one will think twice about the team being the Guardians.
We have HOF worthy baseball players being erased so it does bother me that politics get in the way of the game
History becomes what society allows.
I saw Dick Allen play and I saw the bloody sock performance

It is the all the same mindset so it does rub me that wrong way

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s ok not to get noticed by ESPN and I shouldn’t and hopefully don’t need anyones kudos but it is a bias and it is surely not wrong to point it out once in a blue moon

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have HOF worthy baseball players being erased so it does bother me that politics get in the way of the game
History becomes what society allows.
I saw Dick Allen play and I saw the bloody sock performance

It is the all the same mindset so it does rub me that wrong way

no one is "erasing" Curt Schilling.

yes, he's being kept out of HOF because of the BBWAA. So is Bonds, and Clemens, and Sosa, and others. Baseball writers have always held grudges. Think of all the players that were no doubt Hall of Famers that some writers didn't vote for. There were writers that didn't vote for Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron. This has been a thing ever since there was a HOF and writers to vote for it. It's not new; personal politics have always come into play.

call it bullshit if you want, but don't sell me this "players are being erased" or "history is being changed" nonsense. Bonds is still the player he was, regardless of his being kept out of the Hall. No one is taking away his MVPs.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one is "erasing" Curt Schilling.

yes, he's being kept out of HOF because of the BBWAA. So is Bonds, and Clemens, and Sosa, and others. Baseball writers have always held grudges. Think of all the players that were no doubt Hall of Famers that some writers didn't vote for. There were writers that didn't vote for Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron. This has been a thing ever since there was a HOF and writers to vote for it. It's not new; personal politics have always come into play.

call it bullshit if you want, but don't sell me this "players are being erased" or "history is being changed" nonsense. Bonds is still the player he was, regardless of his being kept out of the Hall. No one is taking away his MVPs.
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion

What he is not allowed to do is go to the stand and get the recognition deserved for his work in baseball and advancement of the game
And we have a HOF that is minus guys part of the game
FWIW. I can’t remember the last time using the word erased or canceled. I actually hate the words. But to me what is done hurts the game
No one has to buy that but to me there is relevance
Maybe I have been naive and just noticing the politic. Still wrong IMO

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion

What he is not allowed to do is go to the stand and get the recognition deserved for his work in baseball and advancement of the game
And we have a HOF that is minus guys part of the game
FWIW. I can’t remember the last time using the word erased or canceled. I actually hate the words. But to me what is done hurts the game
No one has to buy that but to me there is relevance
Maybe I have been naive and just noticing the politic. Still wrong IMO

I remember thinking it was really weird that the HOF and MLB are somewhat separate entities when I learned that as a kid. Never been a huge fan of the process/system of getting in. And yes in recent times, there have been writers trying to make more of a point, turning in blank ballots as a protest or some such. Not a fan of that either, and wouldn't mind seeing that curtailed.

I don't think it hurts the game though. It does make the HOF a little more questionable, but that's the bed the writers chose to make.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always refer the the Cleveland baseball team as the Indians and the Washington football team as the Redskins. They can change their names every year if they like, but I dont have to. I will never stop using the term DL or Disabled List either.

When the last Ballpark started changing names, I just referred to it as the Ballpark.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn, Leiter, and Roby all pitch tonight.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs also has a completely different draft prospect list than everyone else. I mean a whole lot different. Here is their top 12.

Termarr Johnson
Druw Jones
Jace Jung
Chase DeLauter
Peyton Graham
Brooks Lee
Elijah Green
Robert Moore
Gavin Cross
Brandon Barreira
Logan Tanner
Kumar Rocker

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Re the state of the Angels

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do think if Maddon said team is not playing hard and does not care his job would be in serious jeopardy

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports media is another thing I pretty much tune out. What kind of question is that. Pretty much asking "is this your fault or the players' fault?"
This guy used to be in Dallas I believe and if I remember correctly did some minor coverage of the Rangers

Yeah the media feels insulted at times
It is definitely a baited question. Interviews have to be tough right now