• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers back home to face a tough opponent: ATL @ TEX 5/15-17

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Huff has had very sporadic chances in the big leagues. Not counting this last appearance up here where I think he got a total of 3 starts, Huff has basically played in 4 different months spread out from September of 2020 to September of 2022. He has had 3 satisfactory or better months when judged by his OPS.. Those were .755, .763 and 1.136. His one bad month was in June of 2022 when he only had 7 starts in 18 days.

There is no evidence whatsoever that if he ever got a chance to play 20 games a month or more that he would fail, and yet there are several who think he cannot perform. That one great OPS above comes from the month where he started the most often. It was 9 starts over 17 days, the only time his number of starts topped 50% of the days that were covered.

Do you think it's a case of the franchise not recognizing Huff's ability, or favoring other players over him?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad to see him finally have a good game.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it's a case of the franchise not recognizing Huff's ability, or favoring other players over him?
I think the timing of his injury hurt him more than anything else with the franchise.

They actually gave him a chance to play more last year when Heim struggled.

The Garver acquisition did hurt his chances and that was probably the organization's biggest mistake where it affected Huff.

As few decent chances as he has had, he still has a better career OPS than most anyone on the team though.

At some point, maybe when we trade for one of the three relievers we need, he will be seen by the club as dispensable and be traded. I think he will be very productive for his new club.

I think a lot of fans will be surprised.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the timing of his injury hurt him more than anything else with the franchise.

They actually gave him a chance to play more last year when Heim struggled.

The Garver acquisition did hurt his chances and that was probably the organization's biggest mistake where it affected Huff.

As few decent chances as he has had, he still has a better career OPS than most anyone on the team though.

At some point, maybe when we trade for one of the three relievers we need, he will be seen by the club as dispensable and be traded. I think he will be very productive for his new club.

I think a lot of fans will be surprised.
He seems to be blocked now. I’m ok with selling high and trading him for something good. Then living with the consequences, we won‘t fall far because we can always fall back on Jonah heim who is playing out of his mind.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing people haven’t been thinking about much is Clayton Kershaw. I think we’ve shown the whole league that we have a ton of good young position players and more in the pipeline. Kershaw has said he will only consider playing for either the dodgers or the rangers. I think next year we would have a good chance to lure him away. Imagine a top of the rotation with Degrom, Kershaw, and Eovaldi

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing people haven’t been thinking about much is Clayton Kershaw. I think we’ve shown the whole league that we have a ton of good young position players and more in the pipeline. Kershaw has said he will only consider playing for either the dodgers or the rangers. I think next year we would have a good chance to lure him away. Imagine a top of the rotation with Degrom, Kershaw, and Eovaldi
After the second time he turned us down I decided I do not want him here. I am tired of the drama while he "considers" what he will do. No more for me.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the second time he turned us down I decided I do not want him here. I am tired of the drama while he "considers" what he will do. No more for me.
Yeah, but how hard did we actually recruit him? I think he would look at us differently now.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Huff has had very sporadic chances in the big leagues. Not counting this last appearance up here where I think he got a total of 3 starts, Huff has basically played in 4 different months spread out from September of 2020 to September of 2022. He has had 3 satisfactory or better months when judged by his OPS.. Those were .755, .763 and 1.136. His one bad month was in June of 2022 when he only had 7 starts in 18 days.

There is no evidence whatsoever that if he ever got a chance to play 20 games a month or more that he would fail, and yet there are several who think he cannot perform. That one great OPS above comes from the month where he started the most often. It was 9 starts over 17 days, the only time his number of starts topped 50% of the days that were covered.

I'm guessing the team sees Huff as another Gallo at the plate (too many Ks and too many men LOB in key situations, been there done that move on) and not enough skills behind the plate, which is why they went for Garver...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a steep package but wonder what it would take to Alexis Díaz from the Reds

Check out the MLB player trading websites to see what he's worth and what we have to offer is worth, it should give you an idea...

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

They rank him as a nice piece but beings he's a RP he's never going to be rated as highly as SPs and position players, so the cost will be somewhat less. If you snoop around some you'll notice some Minor league players are listed way higher than he is, like De La Cruz for instance (listed right above Diaz)...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the MLB player trading websites to see what he's worth and what we have to offer is worth, it should give you an idea...

They rank him as a nice piece but beings he's a RP he's never going to be rated as highly as SPs and position players, so the cost will be somewhat less. If you snoop around some you'll notice some Minor league players are listed way higher than he is, like De La Cruz for instance (listed right above Diaz)...
The problem is that no one else is going to evaluate even a handful of players exactly the same as they do, much less hundreds of them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither? Although choosing Heim was based on his performance. Huff has huge potential and that’s the problem he has never built on it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not rating as highly as SP’s or position players is our problem. We are seeing what not rating the bullpen as being important is costing us. Other teams see the value and make the moves while we shuffle along with whatever

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Huff - not seeing why everything is so urgent.
He is fine in AAA. Catchers have a lot on their plate and develop slowly. Why trade him and why let him stay up not to get regular playing time. He has not been cheated by club IMO
Like Bubba and even going back to Mazara they were brought up out of urgent needs but don’t think it helped their development

The comparison to Gallo is fair and maybe they both figure it out. Huff has tremendous MLB power.

I say keep unless a great trade offer arrives

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the team sees Huff as another Gallo at the plate (too many Ks and too many men LOB in key situations, been there done that move on) and not enough skills behind the plate, which is why they went for Garver...
Between the two I will take the strikeouts with the extra 50 or so points of OPS any day. That is especially so given that Huff can play a decent 1B, and is not considered an emergency-only- first-baseman as Garver is.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not seeing why everything is so urgent.
"Urgent" doesn't come to mind. As far as his real chances here, the term "that ship has sailed" comes to mind. They have moved on in their minds from him and the Garver acquisition showed that.

Now, if they made a mistake in doing that, remains to be seen. I think it will prove to be one, but then I thought Mike Olt was going to be a good player, so what do I know. Of course, I don't believe Olt ever hit as well as Huff has in the big leagues.

I brought his stats up because I think it is silly to intimate that he has been anything close to a failure already.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Bubba and even going back to Mazara they were brought up out of urgent needs
Bubba was given a whole lot of time in the minors. Not as much as Leody, but a lot.

Nomar played more games in the minors than Bubba did. Just because guys aren't successful at the big leagues level doesn't mean they needed more time in the minors.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Urgent" doesn't come to mind. As far as his real chances here, the term "that ship has sailed" comes to mind. They have moved on in their minds from him and the Garver acquisition showed that.

Now, if they made a mistake in doing that, remains to be seen. I think it will prove to be one, but then I thought Mike Olt was going to be a good player, so what do I know. Of course, I don't believe Olt ever hit as well as Huff has in the big leagues.

I brought his stats up because I think it is silly to intimate that he has been anything close to a failure already.
We could find out more ,good or bad, if Huff was playing behind Heim instead of Leon and DHing and some time at FB. This would provide him time to reach a better evaluation and answer more quedtions if franchise really wants to know.