• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's no rule!!! :nono:
That's the way they played it from where I come from. Wally Pep was the exception and not the rule. ;)

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent summation. And I agree that it is being a little selfish on Eloy's part to insist he should be out there in left when he is without question the worst OFer on the team. But I also agree that he seems to have learned something during his absence, because I have to admit he's playing the position much better - at least by his standards, which of course is a very low bar to set. And it does seem that we now have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to outfield depth and talent. I seem to recall in recent memory when the OF was perhaps our weakest defensive unit.
has anyone seen him running toward the fence for a ball yet?
Fun Reaction GIF by Justin

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent summation. And I agree that it is being a little selfish on Eloy's part to insist he should be out there in left when he is without question the worst OFer on the team. But I also agree that he seems to have learned something during his absence, because I have to admit he's playing the position much better - at least by his standards, which of course is a very low bar to set. And it does seem that we now have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to outfield depth and talent. I seem to recall in recent memory when the OF was perhaps our weakest defensive unit.
He could look like Tori freakin Hunter out there. I have a heart attack every time he has to run for a ball or go anywhere near a wall. His bat is far too important to keep playing Russian roulette with his health every year and inevitably having him suffer an injury.

I know that you personally are not calling for us to throw him out in left every day. My post is more directed at his insistence for it to happen and just the general idea of it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could look like Tori freakin Hunter out there. I have a heart attack every time he has to run for a ball or go anywhere near a wall. His bat is far too important to keep playing Russian roulette with his health every year and inevitably having him suffer an injury.

I know that you personally are not calling for us to throw him out in left every day. My post is more directed at his insistence for it to happen and just the general idea of it.
We Sox diehards are all in agreement that Eloy should never be the regular LFer for the Sox. I understand why TLR will throw him out there on a number of occasions and perhaps slowly but surely ease him out of there and into the DH spot until he's fully adjusted. Which BTW, it shouldn't be lost one anyone that Eloy had one helluva productive game last night while doing so as the DH.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We Sox diehards are all in agreement that Eloy should never be the regular LFer for the Sox. I understand why TLR will throw him out there on a number of occasions and perhaps slowly but surely ease him out of there and into the DH spot until he's fully adjusted. Which BTW, it shouldn't be lost one anyone that Eloy had one helluva productive game last night while doing so as the DH.
Yeah, I don't get down with the "I can't hit when I DH" excuse.

You're a professional. Figure it out. Guys get asked to learn a new defensive position on the fly all of the time in the big leagues. The least you can do is figure out how to kick your feet up and relax most of the game while still performing offensively. Take an extra trip to the cage in between AB's. Get on a stationary bike. Whatever you have to do to stay in it mentally/physically and figure out a routine. There's no excuse for "I hit worse as a DH". Come on...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted this is way too early to be discussing as a pertinent matter, but what the heck. We all know the Sox will need at most just four starters for the playoffs and depending on the urgency of the given situation, possibly only three. but for now let's go with four.

We already know the top three:
Lynn
Rodon
Giolito

Not necessarily in that order, but at this point in time I'm sure we all agree they would be the ones taking the mound the first three games. So who's the odd man out and who gets start #4? I'm guessing TLR will want to go with experience and therefore Keuchel would be the logical choice to fit the bill. Besides, Cease would likely make for a more effective reliever, especially if he's needed early on. The only problem with this is, despite his inconsistency, Dylan has superior stuff and one would think the general rule is or at least should be that superior stuff trumps experience. But does it when it really, really, really matters, such as in the postseason? That my fellow diehards is the $64k question.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted this is way too early to be discussing as a pertinent matter, but what the heck. We all know the Sox will need at most just four starters for the playoffs and depending on the urgency of the given situation, possibly only three. but for now let's go with four.

Lynn
Rodon
Giolito

Not necessarily in that order, but at this point in time I'm sure we all agree they would be the ones taking the mound the first three games. So who's the odd man out and who gets start #4? I'm guessing TLR will want to go with experience and therefore Keuchel would be the logical choice to fit the bill. Besides, Cease would likely make for a more effective reliever, especially if he's needed early on. The only problem with this is, despite his inconsistency, Dylan has superior stuff and one would think the general rule is or at least should be that superior stuff trumps experience. But does it when it really, really, really matters, such as in the postseason? That my fellow diehards is the $64k question.
Another - and perhaps a more significant situation to TLR - is whether to pitch the ground ball pitcher or the high heat pitcher to the matched up opposition. Another factor related to this one - is what kind of field are they playing on? A Bandbox that yields fly ball homers - or a spacious stadium for foul ball room and deep fence dimensions?

I believe the cool thing will be since each should be ready to pitch that day - one could relieve the other if things go badly.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lynn
Rodon
Giolito

Kuechel hasn’t been what he was last year but he’s still a veteran and a true pro. Has pitched in many big games. I hate cliches like that but I worry about Dylan in a big game. He’ll be there when we need a few innings out of the pen. Perhaps if we throw Lynn or Rodon on short rest in a big spot and they can only go 4-5 innings

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keuchel will get a playoff start I'm pretty sure. We'll probably go 4 man like the 05 team...Nothing wrong with that. Honestly in some ways I'll like it better. I still don't fully trust Rodon but he's earned a playoff start with his performance this season so if we lose with our horses that got us there so be it.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keuchel will get a playoff start I'm pretty sure. We'll probably go 4 man like the 05 team...Nothing wrong with that. Honestly in some ways I'll like it better. I still don't fully trust Rodon but he's earned a playoff start with his performance this season so if we lose with our horses that got us there so be it.
One thing we won't see is what their starters did in that 2005 Angels playoff series. That will never happen again for any MLB team ever.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda tired of watching the media bend over backwards to make it look like keuchel hasn't been so bad. an era of almost 6 in his last 4 games (and overall over 4.5) tells a different story. he used to be a master of hitting his spots. well, not any more. if this were anyone else we'd say he sucks!

Last edited:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda tired of watching the media bend over backwards to make it look like kuechel hasn't been so bad. an era of almost 6 in his last 4 games (and overall over 4.5) tells a different story. he used to be a master of hitting his spots. well, not any more. if this were anyone else we'd say he sucks!
$18 million a year (for another year yet) makes keuchel the most overpaid player in the game considering his production. even worse that yasmani.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$18 million a year (for another year yet) makes keuchel the most overpaid player in the game considering his production. even worse that yasmani.

Jason Heyward gotta be a worse deal.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Grandal - he went 2-3 with 3 RBIs in his first game at AA Birmingham.

@idseer - I frankly don't know how you survived some Sox seasons in the past - if a team this successful has you all ground up. ;)

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Grandal - he went 2-3 with 3 RBIs in his first game at AA Birmingham.

@idseer - I frankly don't know how you survived some Sox seasons in the past - if a team this successful has you all ground up. ;)
you see ... it's all relative to expectations. my expectations are high this year. very high. in 2018 i didn't much give a shit.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One extremely good sign for the playoffs: White Sox hitters who love to be the center of attention while everyone is watching: Anderson, Abreu, Jimenez and Robert. These guys will get better the more important the series they play in.

On the other hand - the White Sox pitcher who rose to the occasion the more important the outing was Rodon - and hopefully he will return healthy.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One extremely good sign for the playoffs: White Sox hitters who love to be the center of attention while everyone is watching: Anderson, Abreu, Jimenez and Robert. These guys will get better the more important the series they play in.

On the other hand - the White Sox pitcher who rose to the occasion the more important the outing was Rodon - and hopefully he will return healthy.

They're playing for that 9 figure Yankee salary in a couple year so you bet yo azz they get up for it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i go with keuchel anytime in a playoff. cease can't handle the pressure.
I'm fairly certain as well that Keuchel will get the nod, but let's remember in his only playoff start from last year against the A's, he pretty much stunk up the joint. While again I do agree he most likely will get the nod, I have little confidence that he'll be all that effective.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in the Yankee game post, I had been out of the loop due to a 3 day staycay on the Strip, plus we didn't even pack the laptop this time around (and I refuse to follow anything on my god damn phone). So I learned that in the interim Rodon has been placed on the IL. Here's the latest update I can find:

LHP Carlos Rodón (left shoulder fatigue)
Expected return: TBD
Rodón noted on Aug. 10 that he felt some shoulder soreness, which prompted the team to place him on the IL. He traveled back to Chicago for further testing. Even though Rodón is eligible to return on Aug. 18, White Sox manager Tony La Russa called that timeline “overly optimistic.”
Given that comment, plus Rodón’s extensive history with shoulder issues, it’s fair to assume he’ll miss two turns through the rotation, if not more.

I don't know if anyone here has a local and more informative update. But based on the above, this does not give me warm feelings by any stretch of the imagination. Knowing as we all do of Rodon's serious health issues in his past, it makes me wonder if it's possible we've seen the last of him perhaps for the rest of the regular season. And if additional tests warrant any type of surgery, then we may have seen the last of him in a Sox uni. Then again, perhaps I'm being an overly dramatic little girly man.