• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the other day that when the Sox traded Sale to the Red Sox - many Sox fans - and even the Front Office to some extent wanted Andrew Benitendi and not Moncada. Some one smart wanted Moncada as it turned out. If he gets back to the kind of season he had at the plate in 2019 - his 3rd base fielding - I believe is top 5 in the league and he then becomes an all star caliber player.

Go Sox!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WooHoo!!! The Mingo Special 2.1 is here for the next year!!!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, for my first official 2021 random thought, I link you to a way, way, way too early 2021 MLB draft page, which is also courtesy of Mingo, who introduced me to the FutureSox website:

Give this guy credit for even coming up with a name. It's one thing to predict a selection when our team has an early pick. It wasn't too much of a challenge guessing that the Sox would choose the likes of Rodon, Madrigal, Vaughn, etc, being those picks were so early in the draft. Even Crochet at #11 was fairly guessable. But to try and predict who we can take at #22 - fuggedaboudit. That's why in this upcoming summer draft, I was thinking more in terms of positional need vs a specific player. I had OF and C on the mind, being we don't have tremendous depth or starting caliber farm talent at these spots.

However, the author here went with a pitcher, Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest. In a way, it's hard to argue in going with another thrower. As the old saying goes, you can never have enough pitching, and in this day and age when it seems like almost every other pitcher in the game goes on some long term injured list, the cliché is actually quite fitting. I like the two key descriptions in explaining the kid's pitching makeup: high spin rate and low effort delivery. Assuming there will be college ball this year, I'll probably keep an occasional eye on him to see how he's performing. But I'll also keep checking out any OF's and C's who may fit the bill for our top pick as well.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, for my first official 2021 random thought, I link you to a way, way, way too early 2021 MLB draft page, which is also courtesy of Mingo, who introduced me to the FutureSox website:

Give this guy credit for even coming up with a name. It's one thing to predict a selection when our team has an early pick. It wasn't too much of a challenge guessing that the Sox would choose the likes of Rodon, Madrigal, Vaughn, etc, being those picks were so early in the draft. Even Crochet at #11 was fairly guessable. But to try and predict who we can take at #22 - fuggedaboudit. That's why in this upcoming summer draft, I was thinking more in terms of positional need vs a specific player. I had OF and C on the mind, being we don't have tremendous depth or starting caliber farm talent at these spots.

However, the author here went with a pitcher, Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest. In a way, it's hard to argue in going with another thrower. As the old saying goes, you can never have enough pitching, and in this day and age when it seems like almost every other pitcher in the game goes on some long term injured list, the cliché is actually quite fitting. I like the two key descriptions in explaining the kid's pitching makeup: high spin rate and low effort delivery. Assuming there will be college ball this year, I'll probably keep an occasional eye on him to see how he's performing. But I'll also keep checking out any OF's and C's who may fit the bill for our top pick as well.
i think they should give him the rotator cuff surgery right now instead of waiting until he blows it out!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is reasonable to expect improved play from:

Louis Robert
Eloy Jimenez
Dylan Cease
Yoan Moncada
Tim Anderson - a tougher call, but I think he is still trending up
Nick Madrigal
Yasmani Grandal
The Bullpen in general - Lance Lynn just saved them about 50-75 innings of work - Jimmy Cordero especially will be happy

I think it is reasonable to expect some regression from:
Jose Abreu
Matt Foster (tough call too, but this kid just played way over his head - hope I'm wrong)
Adam Engel - offensively - I don't see him having a better season than last year.
Lucas Giolito - has to get used to Grandal - otherwise he will be fine.

Wild Cards:

Adam Eaton - who knows?
Zach Collins - can he get worse?
Lance Lynn - I'd love to just get his average season

Based on the ballplayers with an upward expectation - this team will be improved without adding anymore pieces. I am an advocate of spending more of Jerry's money, but just as is - this team figures to be better.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree on grandal. he's a lifetime .240 hitter on the downside of his career. his .230 last year is about what i'll expect from him next season as well.
maybe 20 hr's and 70 rbis (assuming a full season). i'm inclined to think he's trending down ... not up.

agree with the rest. what still worries me is the sox inclination to trade their future for some aging guy who'll be expensive and disappointing. i mean, when HASN'T this been the case?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree on grandal. he's a lifetime .240 hitter on the downside of his career. his .230 last year is about what i'll expect from him next season as well.
maybe 20 hr's and 70 rbis (assuming a full season). i'm inclined to think he's trending down ... not up.

agree with the rest. what still worries me is the sox inclination to trade their future for some aging guy who'll be expensive and disappointing. i mean, when HASN'T this been the case?
Agree with the last sentence there Iddy - you are right as rain about that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is reasonable to expect improved play from:

Louis Robert
Eloy Jimenez
Dylan Cease
Yoan Moncada
Tim Anderson - a tougher call, but I think he is still trending up
Nick Madrigal
Yasmani Grandal
The Bullpen in general - Lance Lynn just saved them about 50-75 innings of work - Jimmy Cordero especially will be happy

I think it is reasonable to expect some regression from:
Jose Abreu
Matt Foster (tough call too, but this kid just played way over his head - hope I'm wrong)
Adam Engel - offensively - I don't see him having a better season than last year.
Lucas Giolito - has to get used to Grandal - otherwise he will be fine.

Wild Cards:

Adam Eaton - who knows?
Zach Collins - can he get worse?
Lance Lynn - I'd love to just get his average season

Based on the ballplayers with an upward expectation - this team will be improved without adding anymore pieces. I am an advocate of spending more of Jerry's money, but just as is - this team figures to be better.
Like your assessments. I hope you're wrong too about Matt Foster. Love the kid and hope last year wasn't a fluke. I might add one name to the potential regression list: Dallas Keuchel. I think it's going to be hard for him to match last season's production. But like you with Foster, I hope I'm wrong with Keuchel. I'll tell you who I'm removing from that regression list tho: Jose Abreu. Sure, there's a high probability that he won't repeat as MVP. But it doesn't mean he still won't put up heady numbers. I've said previously that the way he's built, his swing, the way he goes about his business, Abreu strikes me as having a longevity in this sport similar to the likes of the Batista, Cruz, Encarnacion, players like those. I see him continuing to put up big stats easily thru the remainder of his contract and beyond. Now whether this beyond will be with the Sox, that remains to be seen. But I predict he will continue to produce well into his later 30's.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like your assessments. I hope you're wrong too about Matt Foster. Love the kid and hope last year wasn't a fluke. I might add one name to the potential regression list: Dallas Keuchel. I think it's going to be hard for him to match last season's production. But like you with Foster, I hope I'm wrong with Keuchel. I'll tell you who I'm removing from that regression list tho: Jose Abreu. Sure, there's a high probability that he won't repeat as MVP. But it doesn't mean he still won't put up heady numbers. I've said previously that the way he's built, his swing, the way he goes about his business, Abreu strikes me as having a longevity in this sport similar to the likes of the Batista, Cruz, Encarnacion, players like those. I see him continuing to put up big stats easily thru the remainder of his contract and beyond. Now whether this beyond will be with the Sox, that remains to be seen. But I predict he will continue to produce well into his later 30's.
i think i agree about jose. throw in that he's got to be motivated to win a trophy with this team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so is Crochet a starter or reliever or both?

If the Sox view Crochet strictly as a starter, then there is zero chance of him breaking camp with the parent roster this Spring. He will need to build up his rotation strength and get into that rhythm for what I imagine would be at least 1 full year and possibly a portion of '22 in AAA. But if they have him start out in the pen, which makes tons of sense, then I believe he has a great shot at making the club right out of the gate.

I'll continue to predict the Capt Obvious, which is Crochet WILL break camp with the Sox, but strictly as a reliever, at least for the first couple of months. There may come a point later on for any number of reasons where they give him a shot or two at starting. But if we want to see this guy wearing a Sox uni in April, then it has to be out of the pen.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lake Shore Drive @idseer - if Abreu shows up as fit as last season - there will be no appreciable drop off in production. I think he likes being the leader of the young guys.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so is Crochet a starter or reliever or both?

If the Sox view Crochet strictly as a starter, then there is zero chance of him breaking camp with the parent roster this Spring. He will need to build up his rotation strength and get into that rhythm for what I imagine would be at least 1 full year and possibly a portion of '22 in AAA. But if they have him start out in the pen, which makes tons of sense, then I believe he has a great shot at making the club right out of the gate.

I'll continue to predict the Capt Obvious, which is Crochet WILL break camp with the Sox, but strictly as a reliever, at least for the first couple of months. There may come a point later on for any number of reasons where they give him a shot or two at starting. But if we want to see this guy wearing a Sox uni in April, then it has to be out of the pen.
as you probably know i've pegged him from the beginning as a closer type, and i'm sticking to it. especially if we don't sign colome or hendriks. i think he has the attitude of a closer and i'd expect him to excel.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as you probably know i've pegged him from the beginning as a closer type, and i'm sticking to it. especially if we don't sign colome or hendriks. i think he has the attitude of a closer and i'd expect him to excel.
I pretty much feel the same way, but the Sox keep saying they drafted him to be a starter, so I'm just covering both angles. But yes, I definitely see him more as a reliever, even closer type pitcher. The man brings the heat.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first official (and of course meaningless) power rankings of 2021:

Interesting that they have the Twins just ahead of the Good Guys at 5th & 6th, respectively. Too bad that's gonna change.....and not in the Twins favor.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I should have added that I would swap the Braves with the Yanks in the rankings. To be honest, I'm not sure the Yanks should even be at #4, let alone #3. Right now, at least at this point in time, I think the NL has the three best teams in baseball. A lot of offseason left with a huge number of quality players still unsigned, so things can change. But for the moment, my take is the NL's top three are the game's top three.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I should have added that I would swap the Braves with the Yanks in the rankings. To be honest, I'm not sure the Yanks should even be at #4, let alone #3. Right now, at least at this point in time, I think the NL has the three best teams in baseball. A lot of offseason left with a huge number of quality players still unsigned, so things can change. But for the moment, my take is the NL's top three are the game's top three.
Yeah - I agree with your assessment of the Yankees, but they will open the spigot and sign some top FAs - they will be competing with money put into play by the Mets - that will up the ante in NY.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - I agree with your assessment of the Yankees, but they will open the spigot and sign some top FAs - they will be competing with money put into play by the Mets - that will up the ante in NY.
Quite possible, maybe even likely, altho right now they're battling just to be able to re-sign DJ LeMahieu. And that's why I said at the present when it comes to the rankings, because there's still so much friggin' talent out there still unsigned. I believe 20 of MLB's top 25 remain unsigned. Damn.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two interesting takes from Sox Machine on the respective Quintana & Eaton trades as they "close the books on each":

Gotta say, the Sox Machine website often produces excellent, detailed analysis in many of their articles. And their subscribing fellow Sox fans are some of the most informed out there. Too bad that in order to get all of their articles, you have to subscribe, as in forking over some coin. It's been a growing trend in sports writing to pay to read all content. ESPN started it all many years back. Then there's publications like Baseball America & The Athletic, who offer strictly subscription-only articles. The major Chitown online dailies do likewise. Sorry, but Homie don't play dat. Too much free stuff still out there to pay for sports info.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always stop at the paywall

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Jerry Reinsdorf....It's a sign. We winnin' it all boys.
Perfect response - Jiddy -you're a sometimes genius. :)