• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My White Sox cycle conditioning is kicking in. Some things I like, and hope will make a difference:

1) Sports Science as part of the Strength and Conditioning effort (hopefully no injuries just by running to first base).

2) Last year I was confounded as to why opponent pitchers with little or no MLB experience would confound Sox hitters until the third time through the batting order. Grifol appears to be addressing that problem with his hitting coaches making sure Sox hitters are ready for what the pitcher is going to throw.

3) If Benintendi - Robert and Colas are going to be the regular outfield - the Sox will go from last in outfield fielding to well above average.

4) Gio, Lynn, Cease, Kopech and Clevinger makes for a top 10 rotation in MLB (or better)

5) The Sox still have an overabundance in the bullpen - at least based on salary.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound so certain with #4...but I am skeptical.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't see it as a certainty at all. big assumption gio comes back, bit assumption lynn's age isn't creeping in, big assumption kopech will ever reach the potential we've all talked about and clevinger hasn't had a good season since 2019!
4 guys with question marks and we're calling them top 10? do sox fans even examine their own fan history?
i'd love to believe they will all be the best they can be, but history tells me don't be foolish.
my expectations this coming seasons will be where they should be ... LOW! there's only one guy i would say i trust what he will do .... and he's no longer on the team!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, they were a top 10 staff last year despite being backed up by the worst fielding team in the American League.

There are only 30 teams in baseball - so top ten isn't that special.

Offensively, they were backed up by hitters who finished 28th out thirty in Hrs.

Lynn and Kopech had knee injuries and Gio decided to bulk up to disastrous results.

Still the Sox won 81 games despite being horrible at hitting and fielding.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season Moncada, Anderson, Robert and Eloy Jimenez started 4 games together. In 2021 they started 21 games together. WTF?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season Moncada, Anderson, Robert and Eloy Jimenez started 4 games together. In 2021 they started 21 games together. WTF?
Ahhh, nothing quite like a newly minted version of Random Thoughts!!!!

Yeah, my hopes for the Sox having a true run at the playoffs are not exactly brimming, but just once I'd like to see how this team can perform when their key players are actually playing for a whole season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic has a new Fegan article up (warning paywall). This time it's about new 3rd base coach and infield coach Eddie Rodriquez and his plan to improve infield defense. A small thing - instead of hitting fungo grounders from the plate Eddie Rodriquez is going to hit fungo grounders in practice to the infielders from across the middle of the infield diamond - shortening the fielder's reaction time to field the ball and make the correct throw based on the situation.

Personally - I'm glad they are changing something - if you can't change the players you need to change how the players are thinking and reacting during practice.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that the Benintendi contract starts off in 2023 as $8 million and a
$3 million signing bonus for year one. For a contract that average $15 million per year that's a slow start. Uncle Jerry is feeling more tightwad than usual this year.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that the Benintendi contract starts off in 2023 as $8 million and a
$3 million signing bonus for year one. For a contract that average $15 million per year that's a slow start. Uncle Jerry is feeling more tightwad than usual this year.
Agreed, it is interesting that he's ok with the first year at just 8m. Wondering if a big contract or two might be coming off the books after this coming season, which will justify his contract jumping to 16.5 starting in '24. Clevinger is inked for only 1 year at 12m and it's looking like Giolito will no longer be collecting a paycheck after this season. His is at 10m. So who knows.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, it is interesting that he's ok with the first year at just 8m. Wondering if a big contract or two might be coming off the books after this coming season, which will justify his contract jumping to 16.5 starting in '24. Clevinger is inked for only 1 year at 12m and it's looking like Giolito will no longer be collecting a paycheck after this season. His is at 10m. So who knows.
Grandal - Kelley - Lynn and Leury all come off the payroll next year - that's about $35 million (so far 3 out of 4 duds).

We sometimes make the mistake complaining about the amount of money the Sox won't spend, but the issue is just as much a problem with the bad contracts they do spend money on. I will note the A's traded C Sean Murphy age 24 and the Braves signed him for less money than the Sox paid on Grandal.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If not for the tagline confirming the article was written by a Trib reporter, I would have sworn it was inked by Rick Hahn.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If not for the tagline confirming the article was written by a Trib reporter, I would have sworn it was inked by Rick Hahn.
1. why should motivation be no problem? Cause this dumb writer says so?
2. there’s no proof grifol will be a good manager.
3. cease is a not reason sox should be optimistic. Cease is cease. Odds are WAY against him having another season as good next year. He should be good. He should be the best pitcher on the team.
4. vaughn is at first, fine. What’s not mentioned here is the team leader is gone to make room. This doesn’t make me optimistic. Only hopeful.
5. I see no reason for tim to be “primed to improve defensively”.
6. crochet coming back doesn’t make me optimistic for this coming year. If anyone is expecting him to immediately be great they’re kidding themselves.
7. an eloy bobblehead has what to do with optimism?
8. Kelly sucks. No optimism there.
9. bars in the upper deck are supposed to make me optimistic?
10. hendriks situation does not make me optimistic. In fact it’s just depressing.

So what good is this p.o.s. article? Why waste everyone’s time posting it here?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like the preparation Grifol and his staff are putting into the pre-season. He may be the next Al Lopez.

The Sox are not going to change the players - so they have to change the Culture. Funny - the Culture under Renteria wasn't a problem, but the switch to La Russa was a very wrong turn.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article projecting the Sox starting lineup this year - no real surprises:

I've said it about a gazillion times now, but it would be interesting to see how this team would fare if our key players remained healthy for most of the season. Many, if not all players, get banged up and miss a few games here and there, but few teams have such important players on their roster missing over half a season each and every year.

And I'll ask again, if Elvis Andrus remains unsigned and he's previously mentioned he'd be more than happy to slide over to 2nd base now that Timmay's back, why hasn't Hahn already inked him? Romy Gonzalez as our starting 2b, seriously?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article projecting the Sox starting lineup this year - no real surprises:

I've said it about a gazillion times now, but it would be interesting to see how this team would fare if our key players remained healthy for most of the season. Many, if not all players, get banged up and miss a few games here and there, but few teams have such important players on their roster missing over half a season each and every year.

And I'll ask again, if Elvis Andrus remains unsigned and he's previously mentioned he'd be more than happy to slide over to 2nd base now that Timmay's back, why hasn't Hahn already inked him? Romy Gonzalez as our starting 2b, seriously?
With the White Sox brand of due diligence - I'm expecting to hear they are going to sign the famous George Santos former all-star Brazilian middle infielder.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benetti and Stone are back - no surprise and glad to have them back:

Benetti is a rising star in the broadcast world and has started calling more games across several sports on a national stage in recent years.

Can't recall now if it was NFL or College football, but one day when I was channel surfing, I coulda swore Benetti was calling the game. Didn't stick around long enough to confirm for certain, but I'm pretty sure it was him. Thinking about it, he has that distinctive, rich Al Michaels-like tone which is perfect for calling football games.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3