• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball hasn't postponed spring training or shortened the 21 season - things are getting late to do so. This means - a lot of signings need to occur over the next 30 days.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a life long White Sox fan - I'm not really sure how to feel when I hear the Sox are favored for the Division and have low odds for the World Series. It feels like a strange new place to reside as a White Sox fan. Here I am used to - dreaming some impossible set of dominos will fall just and the Sox will win the pennant - now I have to - all of a sudden - worry they will have to live up to expectations.
It kinda sucks in a way that if we don't bring home some hardware with this core, we'll be in the disappointment/what went wrong phase...and if we do win, it'll be like...Well damn right we were SUPPOSED to win it with that core.

2005 was so unexpected that I don't think I'll experience the joy of a championship like that again in my lifetime. All the negativity that year between press and fans (not just our own) during what should have been a 162+playoff long celebration. And all that team did was put it all aside and put up the second best record in baseball and destroy in the playoffs. I mean, it would literally be like if the Bears won it all next year somehow despite it looking like the team is going to blow up into mediocrity. God bless that 2005 season.
We only have one tiny playoff appearance in the last 13 seasons, and even that was due to the expanded format - had the playoffs stilled adhered to the '19 and earlier seasons standard, we'd have been watching other teams once again. So to wrap our neophyte contenders around world series expectations is one part hope, three parts overhype. The main reason we're presently considered to be the Central fave is because so far to date, we're the only team in the Central (aside from the Royals to a certain extent), who has actually looked to improve the roster, this after going toe-toe with both Minny and Cleveland last season. And speaking of our two main competitors, Cleveland appears to be taking the white flag route, altho I still would never count them out with that rotation of theirs. Minny simply hasn't done squat yet and a number of their key players have either already left or are seeking better fortunes elsewhere. If they don't at least sign Cruz, they're gonna be in deep yogurt.

And that's just the Central. The other two divisions contain some experienced playoff ballclubs. They wanna get back in there as well. This is not to suggest that we don't have the roster to take it to the highest level, but to EXPECT it? That's just setting yourself up for major disappointment.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only have one tiny playoff appearance in the last 13 seasons, and even that was due to the expanded format - had the playoffs stilled adhered to the '19 and earlier seasons standard, we'd have been watching other teams once again. So to wrap our neophyte contenders around world series expectations is one part hope, three parts overhype. The main reason we're presently considered to be the Central fave is because so far to date, we're the only team in the Central (aside from the Royals to a certain extent), who has actually looked to improve the roster, this after going toe-toe with both Minny and Cleveland last season. And speaking of our two main competitors, Cleveland appears to be taking the white flag route, altho I still would never count them out with that rotation of theirs. Minny simply hasn't done squat yet and a number of their key players have either already left or are seeking better fortunes elsewhere. If they don't at least sign Cruz, they're gonna be in deep yogurt.

And that's just the Central. The other two divisions contain some experienced playoff ballclubs. They wanna get back in there as well. This is not to suggest that we don't have the roster to take it to the highest level, but to EXPECT it? That's just setting yourself up for major disappointment.

If this core doesn't produce hardware over its course is what I mean...One season is just that...but if it's 5 years from now and we did diddly...Trust me...You'll be putting up "man what happened" posts at that point...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this core doesn't produce hardware over its course is what I mean...One season is just that...but if it's 5 years from now and we did diddly...Trust me...You'll be putting up "man what happened" posts at that point...
Now on that we agree oh jidded one. I think if I layered my expectation levels for '21 it would go something like this:

Playoffs: Anything less would be a major choke of a season
Central title: Should take it barring any strange happenings or super signings by the Twins/Tribe
Advance past the 1st round: Again, this is a definite should
Advance to the ALCS: Won't necessarily expect it, but wouldn't surprise me at all if we make it there
Advance to the WS: I truly hope
Win the WS: I truly dream

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now on that we agree oh jidded one. I think if I layered my expectation levels for '21 it would go something like this:

Playoffs: Anything less would be a major choke of a season
Central title: Should take it barring any strange happenings or super signings by the Twins/Tribe
Advance past the 1st round: Again, this is a definite should
Advance to the ALCS: Won't necessarily expect it, but wouldn't surprise me at all if we make it there
Advance to the WS: I truly hope
Win the WS: I truly dream

Very fair. The word "run" should have some significance with a playoff berth by our guys. Win at least one series, then we cross our fingers and pucker our asscheeks that the baseball gods are on our side from there.

Anything less will be "what went wrong" territory imo.

Hell, I'm still smarting thinking we should have gotten past Oakland in this past season...Very disappointing. But we've added more than enough to justify higher expectation now.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So according to the spate of articles out there at the present, it looks as if MLB is set on moving forward with the expanded playoff set, altho it's still not certain if it will be a 14 or 16 game format. They also appear to be in favor of continuing to place a runner on 2b to start the extra innings, and also keeping with 7 inning doubleheaders when those become necessary. It appears that the one major sticking point from last year still in discussion is the universal DH. Personally, I think it potentially benefits the Sox if they retain this, being it opens up more signing opportunities for two key DH candidates, Marcell Ozuna and Nelson Cruz, the latter being very important to our team's fortunes. I think it's likely that Cruz will re-up with the Twins, but having more teams out there to tempt him with a contract can't do anything but help us, especially if he signs elsewhere.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox close the books on any arbitration hearing, signing their two remaining 'holdouts'.

Giolito: $4.15m
Lopez: $2.1m

I for one hoped that Giolito and the Sox would work out a longer term extension. Who knows, maybe they still are doing so, altho there's zero indication of this taking place.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox close the books on any arbitration hearing, signing their two remaining 'holdouts'.

Giolito: $4.15m
Lopez: $2.1m

I for one hoped that Giolito and the Sox would work out a longer term extension. Who knows, maybe they still are doing so, altho there's zero indication of this taking place.
I would be very surprised if they are not working on an extension - or have been told by Giolito that he is not interested. The arbitration schedule dictated this agreement.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So according to the spate of articles out there at the present, it looks as if MLB is set on moving forward with the expanded playoff set, altho it's still not certain if it will be a 14 or 16 game format. They also appear to be in favor of continuing to place a runner on 2b to start the extra innings, and also keeping with 7 inning doubleheaders when those become necessary. It appears that the one major sticking point from last year still in discussion is the universal DH. Personally, I think it potentially benefits the Sox if they retain this, being it opens up more signing opportunities for two key DH candidates, Marcell Ozuna and Nelson Cruz, the latter being very important to our team's fortunes. I think it's likely that Cruz will re-up with the Twins, but having more teams out there to tempt him with a contract can't do anything but help us, especially if he signs elsewhere.
Guess those two leftover rules - the runner on 2nd and the 7 inning doubleheaders - are now official, pending approval from the players union. However, the universal DH is still up in the air. Altho not mentioned here, it does look like it will be a 14 game playoff format.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess those two leftover rules - the runner on 2nd and the 7 inning doubleheaders - are now official, pending approval from the players union. However, the universal DH is still up in the air. Altho not mentioned here, it does look like it will be a 14 game playoff format.

wonder how long it'll be before they put a rover in the outfield?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we possibly squeeze another Cubano into the organization?

The international money pool for the Sox, at least for 2021, says no way Jose, especially just after inking the #1 and #15 prospects. And in case anyone isn't aware, Colas is ranked #2. But who knows. The south side of Chicago is quickly becoming known as Havana Del Norte, so we shouldn't rule anything out. I do have a question tho. Assuming it's correct that we don't have the coin to sign yet another high end prospect like Colas, can the Sox work out some kind of deal that stretches the bonus pool money over two seasons? As in we give Colas the remainder of our '21 pool money with a guarantee to give him the lion's share of '22 when it becomes available. I guess the key issue is if this is even allowed by MLB. I suspect it's not, for if it was, that would be the topic of discussion in articles like the one I linked. I'll say this much, I'd bet tons of internet money that Colas would strongly prefer to join our organization, being there are already a bunch of expatriates employed here. But as almost always, money talks, LSD walks.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we possibly squeeze another Cubano into the organization?

The international money pool for the Sox, at least for 2021, says no way Jose, especially just after inking the #1 and #15 prospects. And in case anyone isn't aware, Colas is ranked #2. But who knows. The south side of Chicago is quickly becoming known as Havana Del Norte, so we shouldn't rule anything out. I do have a question tho. Assuming it's correct that we don't have the coin to sign yet another high end prospect like Colas, can the Sox work out some kind of deal that stretches the bonus pool money over two seasons? As in we give Colas the remainder of our '21 pool money with a guarantee to give him the lion's share of '22 when it becomes available. I guess the key issue is if this is even allowed by MLB. I suspect it's not, for if it was, that would be the topic of discussion in articles like the one I linked. I'll say this much, I'd bet tons of internet money that Colas would strongly prefer to join our organization, being there are already a bunch of expatriates employed here. But as almost always, money talks, LSD walks.
From what I understand - most teams have already committed their 2021 international bonus pool money and no one has the coin for Colas. He will do well to get some work in the Dominican Republic and get on a work out and diet routine to get ready for next year. I hear he wants to be a White Sox and will wait a year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite White Sox characters of all time was Bill Veck. Thinking of old peg leg Bill this AM.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite White Sox characters of all time was Bill Veck. Thinking of old peg leg Bill this AM.
Wasn't his auto-bio "Veck as in Wreck"? Definitely one of a kind. The carnival barker of the MLB ownership clan.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't his auto-bio "Veck as in Wreck"? Definitely one of a kind. The carnival barker of the MLB ownership clan.
He would set up a card table in the lobby of the hotel hosting the winter meetings with a sign encouraging officials to sit down and talk trades. Yes - it was "Veck as in Wreck."

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would set up a card table in the lobby of the hotel hosting the winter meetings with a sign encouraging officials to sit down and talk trades. Yes - it was "Veck as in Wreck."
They obviously don't make 'em like that any longer. Too corporate nowadays, too much $$$$$ involved.