• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lm: im in enough pain already...:suds::suds:
Dumb question. Any chance the Texans could/would buy the rights back for the Oilers name?

I have just never really been able to acknowledge’Texans’… Never liked it.

I suppose I should just get over it, but nah!

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb question. Any chance the Texans could/would buy the rights back for the Oilers name?

they'd also have to pay the Titans to take all the historical Oilers shit out of their stadium, LOL

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they'd also have to pay the Titans to take all the historical Oilers shit out of their stadium, LOL
Mmmmm, well I’d say that shit doesn’t belong in Nashville anyway, but foubt the Titans’ owner would see it that way….

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmmm, well I’d say that shit doesn’t belong in Nashville anyway, but foubt the Titans’ owner would see it that way….

if that was the case, we'd be celebrating the Bears' legendary 1985 team in Decatur, not Chicago. Windy City could claim the Cardinals achievements, so they wouldn't be left empty handed, just no Super Bowl wins.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, there's some what of a precedent, although I think it was part of the terms at the time to avoid messy lawsuits or whatever...but....what did Cleveland have to do to regain/keep the Browns history when they moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens? I mena, they had the rights to the name and the history, and didn't even have a team to assign them to for 3 years.

Maybe somone in Houston has to care enough to sue the shit outta them?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, there's some what of a precedent, although I think it was part of the terms at the time to avoid messy lawsuits or whatever...but....what did Cleveland have to do to regain/keep the Browns history when they moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens? I mena, they had the rights to the name and the history, and didn't even have a team to assign them to for 3 years.

Maybe somone in Houston has to care enough to sue the shit outta them?
Not sure about the specifics, but that deal was done when they decided to move initially. This would be well after the fact.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The name doesn't seem to fit in Tennessee tho, does it? Not to me.

Since you brought it up, always had a problem with Lakers moving from Minny to L.A.
"Lakers" were basically a geographically specific name.
Should have been renamed to the Oceans or something?
Like the Atlanta Flames moving to Calgary?
I can see that name sticking if they moved to, say Chicago. But did anything historical burn in Calgary?

And since we're on it, Atlanta and St. Louis should be banned from adding sports franchises.
Atlanta had the (NHL) Flames and Thrashers. STL had the (NFL) Cardinals and Rams.
In the words of Michael Scott, "Fool me once - strike one. But fool me twice - strike 3."

Sorry - I'm in a weird mood today. :sigh:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since you brought it up, always had a problem with Lakers moving from Minny to L.A.
I can see that name sticking if they moved to, say Chicago. But did anything historical burn in Calgary?

And since we're on it, Atlanta and St. Louis should be banned from adding sports franchises.
Atlanta had the (NHL) Flames and Thrashers. STL had the (NFL) Cardinals and Rams.
In the words of Michael Scott, "Fool me once - strike one. But fool me twice - strike 3."

St Louis is like a farm system for new franchises, outside of the MLB Card's. If they work there, they'll probably work anywhere, so lets move em, and if they don't work somewhere else, we'll move em to St Louis until we figure out something better

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyone who quotes Michael Scott is pretty weird to begin with. I love it. :)

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well im certainly no expert however if i remember correctly when Adams moved the Oilers it was stated that Houston cannot use the Oiler name if and when they got another team...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well im certainly no expert however if i remember correctly when Adams moved the Oilers it was stated that Houston cannot use the Oiler name if and when they got another team...
That's too bad, it would be cool to see the Houston Oilers again. Dan Pastorini, baby! :)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Removing ATL from this, NHL didn't stand a chance in that city once Preds came to Nashville.

blaming the city for Bidwill and Kroenke's actions? in the immortal words of Shannon Sharpe......c'mon man!

NFL will always move teams to chase $$s, its a business. Bidwill got $17mil/yr and a brand new stadium to move his team....and laid the framework for St Louis to steal the Rams from LA 10-15yrs later. Previously, you actually had to have a reason to relocate, not just be able to move your franchise to the highest bidder. AFTER he turned down the city's offer to build him a 70k capacity stadium

Don't even get me started on the Kroenke/Demoff/Fisher hatchet job of the Rams performance over their last few years in StL to alienate the fan base, or all the shady underhanded dealings Kroenke pulled in order to move the Rams back to LA. I mean, it only cost Stan ~$900mil in a lost lawsuit vs city of St Louis on top of all the other relocation and stadium expenses.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there is one city that should never get another franchise its Las Vegas. I feel like we're due for 2-3 negative stories a year involving players and the Vegas strip and they just have the Raiders.

STL shouldn't be dinged for losing the Rams but I do also think that the Cardinals and Blues have moved in on that city and it seems unlikely that a third team will ever gain a major foothold.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one city that should never get another franchise its Las Vegas. I feel like we're due for 2-3 negative stories a year involving players and the Vegas strip and they just have the Raiders.

STL shouldn't be dinged for losing the Rams but I do also think that the Cardinals and Blues have moved in on that city and it seems unlikely that a third team will ever gain a major foothold.

Vegas Knights would like a word with you!

but yeah, you nailed it with StL - if you aren't successful on the field, you'll find it hard to win over the Blues/Cardinals fans. Self-proclaimed BFIB's and Bloosiers are a different bunch, lol

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vegas Knights would like a word with you!
To your point, hockey players seem to have more on-ice controversies than off-ice compared to football players.
I'm sure someone well say something snarky like football players have zero on-ice and off-ice controversies.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea I don't buy the Vegas stuff. if these guys are gonna get into trouble, they can just as easily do it in New York City as they can in Philadelphia or Detriot or LA, as they can in Vegas. I mean had Ruggs not done what he did, the would've been incident free, as far as the team in the city is concerned. Kamara brought his own crap to town. And for the Raiders..Christ, one guy in trouble has to be a new record, regardless of location.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if that was the case, we'd be celebrating the Bears' legendary 1985 team in Decatur, not Chicago. Windy City could claim the Cardinals achievements, so they wouldn't be left empty handed, just no Super Bowl wins.
If Decatur created a new franchise, perhaps that would be valid… They didn’t, so it isn’t. And I don’t believe the Bears franchise came about to fill a void that the Cardinals left behind. The two teams coexisted in Chicago for a time… AND… the Cardinals have retained their name this whole time across three cities. They didn’t change it…

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, wasn’t aware of that. I’m sure if the price was right though….