• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love the game of baseball, but I don't think I'll ever be as invested in the players as I was in that era because those were the first guys that I followed their careers from start to finish and I started rooting for them when I was a kid. Once you're older it's just not the same. My Dad always loved baseball too and I could never figure out why he wasn't as invested in the game as me and Scott were when we were growing up, but now I realize that it's different once your heroes of youth retire.
I still enjoy the game itself, it has so many quality skill features to it. But once free agency came about and teams began 'buying titles' it just wasn't quite the same trying to follow a favorite team or player. .... times change not always for the better.
I'd bet that the majority of kids today have never even seen a game (live or on TV) or know any history of the greats. I think back to the days of hearing Pee Wee and Dizzy, and Vin call games - and me pulling for the Yankees (Mickey in particular) great times.
My uncle was a HUGE, HUGE fan. The man could watch three games on separate TV's and one on the radio - and keep up with what was going on them all. He worked for a auto parts store and the owner was personal friend with Bobby Richardson (he came from that same town). After the '61 WS Bobby gave him a ball signed by the entire team - which he gave to my uncle, who later passed it on to me - and is now locked up in Bandit's safe.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still enjoy the game itself, it has so many quality skill features to it. But once free agency came about and teams began 'buying titles' it just wasn't quite the same trying to follow a favorite team or player. .... times change not always for the better.
I'd bet that the majority of kids today have never even seen a game (live or on TV) or know any history of the greats. I think back to the days of hearing Pee Wee and Dizzy, and Vin call games - and me pulling for the Yankees (Mickey in particular) great times.
My uncle was a HUGE, HUGE fan. The man could watch three games on separate TV's and one on the radio - and keep up with what was going on them all. He worked for a auto parts store and the owner was personal friend with Bobby Richardson (he came from that same town). After the '61 WS Bobby gave him a ball signed by the entire team - which he gave to my uncle, who later passed it on to me - and is now locked up in Bandit's safe.
It's also such a different game now with all of the strikeouts and everybody swinging for the fences at every plate appearance whether there is a running on 3rd with less than two outs or the bases empty. And players just continually hitting into the shift. It just makes it hard to watch sometimes. Baseball is the one game that I have not embraced the analytics side of things at all.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also such a different game now with all of the strikeouts and everybody swinging for the fences at every plate appearance whether there is a running on 3rd with less than two outs or the bases empty. And players just continually hitting into the shift. It just makes it hard to watch sometimes. Baseball is the one game that I have not embraced the analytics side of things at all.
I think that's a large reason as to why I fell out of love with the game. All the nuances of the offensive side are gone..you never see that simple "move the runners" up stuff, not unless it's the number 8 or 9 hitter, the bunting, the hit and run, the delayed steal..hell even straight steals..all so rare that when you do see one, it's noteworthy. And they get closer and closer every year to the universal DH, so it'll only get that much worse.

Once that happens, which sounds like this coming year, I doubt I'll ever watch another game.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agency hurt, the degradation of the HR records with steroids hurt, and this business of spreading pitchers around has eliminated great individual pitching performances.

People used to go to the park to see a pitcher. Now it's unusual if an ace goes seven innings.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's a large reason as to why I fell out of love with the game. All the nuances of the offensive side are gone..you never see that simple "move the runners" up stuff, not unless it's the number 8 or 9 hitter, the bunting, the hit and run, the delayed steal..hell even straight steals..all so rare that when you do see one, it's noteworthy. And they get closer and closer every year to the universal DH, so it'll only get that much worse.

Once that happens, which sounds like this coming year, I doubt I'll ever watch another game.

My man Treff loves himself some Whitey Ball!

Whitey Herzog is a very distant relative of mine - my great-grandma was a Herzog and was like 5th or 6th cousins with him. He's from New Athens, IL, not far from my hometown outside of St Louis.

Move the fences back and stack your team with speedy defensive players! You only need one HR hitter, and Jack Clark fit the bill

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all are killin' me with this baseball talk, and we can't revive a decent baseball league. :(

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I've always loved baseball, but I hate fantasy baseball. Having to do something every day is just too damn much even for me.
I feel the same way, which is why I've always preferred weekly leagues.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My man Treff loves himself some Whitey Ball!

Whitey Herzog is a very distant relative of mine - my great-grandma was a Herzog and was like 5th or 6th cousins with him. He's from New Athens, IL, not far from my hometown outside of St Louis.

Move the fences back and stack your team with speedy defensive players! You only need one HR hitter, and Jack Clark fit the bill
Whitey Herzog was a friggin genuis as far as I'm concerned

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet if it was hockey you be all into it ...... :suds:
Not as much as you think.
Actually have ZERO sports packages. I don't watch hardly any sports any more.
Tried to watch Denmark v China women's hockey and even that program (which I am guessing no one else was tuning in to watch) was "premium" from Peacock.