• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pre Season Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The overall team length of the 76ers is gonna be deadly on the defensive end. Once Philly has their half court D set up, the opposition is gonna face a forest of length and arms and toughness.

Only two ways to beat the Philly D, as I see it:
  • Get out in transition and beat them down the floor before their defense has time to get set.
  • Shoot lights out from 3 point range.
Both of those are fickle strategies, though... the first depends on Philly turning the ball over and/or missing shots... the second is hard to depend on game in and game out in something like a 7 game series.

the big question for the Sixers is how they handle slashy guards like Kemba.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the big question for the Sixers is how they handle slashy guards like Kemba.
Milwaukee (another big team) provided a pretty good template last season with the way they played defense... against those small guards:
  • Challenge the 3 point line. Don't give up easy 3's.
  • Concede/invite the drive.
  • Force either a mid-range shot (sub-optimal offense from an analytics point-of-view) or a contested shot at the rim.
  • If a guy like Kemba is looking to drive and pass... scramble to defend the 3 pt line most of all. Don't allow the easy set shot... make shooters put it on the floor and move.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't understand how he wasn't selected earlier after the March he had at Purdue

I was all about the Warriors possibly drafting him late in the 1st round. He may be limited a bit by his size, but damn he can hoop.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't want to put too much stock into preseason numbers. But given that Thybulle's stock numbers were record setting in college it is certainly encouraging to see him put up such huge numbers in his limited time in preseason.

Looks like he has cemented himself as the 1st wing off the bench.

Steals and blocks tend to translate better to regular season play from college and pre-season than any scoring stats.
But, yeah, he looks like he's going to fit right in.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milwaukee (another big team) provided a pretty good template last season with the way they played defense... against those small guards:
  • Challenge the 3 point line. Don't give up easy 3's.
  • Concede/invite the drive.
  • Force either a mid-range shot (sub-optimal offense from an analytics point-of-view) or a contested shot at the rim.
  • If a guy like Kemba is looking to drive and pass... scramble to defend the 3 pt line most of all. Don't allow the easy set shot... make shooters put it on the floor and move.

+6000
Rather give up 10 uncontested long 2s than 10 uncontested 3s.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

I don't think he is necessarily "dumb". With a good season this year... Jaylen could easily make more money than that on the open market.

For the Celtics, though... I don't know if the value Brown brings to our equation is something beyond that dollar figure.

Frankly, I don't think the Celtics should pay him bigger than that. We got all kinds of wings... and if a guy like Romeo Langford develops, that makes Brown even more replaceable.

Final verdict: Jaylen Brown is a good, versatile player... but he's not a star. And (in all honesty) I don't see him taking that next step into stardom. JMO.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

I don't think he is necessarily "dumb". With a good season this year... Jaylen could easily make more money than that on the open market.

For the Celtics, though... I don't know if the value Brown brings to our equation is something beyond that dollar figure.

Frankly, I don't think the Celtics should pay him bigger than that. We got all kinds of wings... and if a guy like Romeo Langford develops, that makes Brown even more replaceable.

Final verdict: Jaylen Brown is a good, versatile player... but he's not a star. And (in all honesty) I don't see him taking that next step into stardom. JMO.

Totally agree. 4 yr/80 is amazing for him because as you said, he's not a star and likely never becomes one.

He needs to have an amazing season to get more than that/desperate team.

The free agency class is extremely weak so that may be his thinking if he has a breakout year i guess

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. 4 yr/80 is amazing for him because as you said, he's not a star and likely never becomes one.

He needs to have an amazing season to get more than that/desperate team.

The free agency class is extremely weak so that may be his thinking if he has a breakout year i guess
There always seems to be badly managed teams who over-pay for a guy like Jaylen Brown.

I put Brown in a similar category to Harrison Barnes. And Barnes was able to finagle a bigger contract than that.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it worked out for Harrison Barnes.

But, not so much for KCP.

I think he will have a great year.

But, that offer is more than fair.
Ha... great minds think alike... I had Harrison Barnes as my comparison, too.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Lebron doesn't plan on wearing those fucking color changing, shape shifter, voodoo, witchcraft shoes every game.

Very distracting.