• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just look at the last 25 years (literally) with you guys so I don't feel it but I'll be hitting the big 5-0 in February.

I've spent half my life with you mooks, and I'm still ornery and salty as shit. That's why I don't feel almost 50.

With your buddy in February too, we should go 3 times between us.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed this one, TA and grading teams' contract efficiency. I'm sure moving PLD played a big role in elevating them this high, but I believe they should have been closer to the bottom third because they failed to mention the nuances like eating Provorov to dump Petersen.

The ramifications from those exorbitant contracts is what prevented LA from being a big player in FA which connects to having to move assets if they wanted to make a significant trade to upgrade the roster.

Definitely think they're being generous here foe whatever reason.

11. Los Angeles Kings

Last season: 17th

The freshly minted Quinton Byfield extension was so good it moved the Kings up six spots in these rankings. He may not be a $10 million player yet, but a rising cap for a 21-year-old showing star upside means he’s on track to get there — and then some.

Byfield’s deal gives the Kings four A-level deals and things look pretty good for them, especially up front. But there are some troubling spots, especially with some of the work they did this summer. Tanner Jeannot is an overpaid reclamation project, Darcy Kuemper is probably over the hill and Joel Edmundson’s deal would’ve only looked acceptable if it was $3.9 million total — not per year.

The Jeannot and Edmundson combination feels especially poor because together they cost about as much as Matt Roy did for nowhere near the same effectiveness.

The thing I hate about this is it's so clearly a regular season stats rating. Like how Matthews is far and away the guy because he puts up 50-70 a year, and Marner is compared to Matthews as a superstar. Talent-wise, no argument whatsoever. But playoffs are more gritty and Marner specifically got shit on for just not wanting to go into the corners. Just coasting and becoming a nonfactor in the playoffs. Regular season, you can pretty much pencil him as a top 20 scorer in the league, but that completely dismisses your main goal of winning it all. The cup that is.

Byfield has the pedigree, draft position, and early production for those models. But he needs to find an edge and find a way to use his body more. Look, if he pulls a Hughes this year and just dominates, then Kings are got a steal for sure. But it looks like Kings paid for his potential and his value is already built in. I think the value of his signing is fair, honestly, but it's not an "A" just because of potential.

I could see Kings pulling a Vancouver this year. Games and early success fall their way, and they could ride a hot start into the playoffs. Avoid Edmonton and maybe win a round or two. Feels like that is their cap. Avoid the high end teams and they could do something. Even last year, it felt like if they could've just matched up with Vancouver, they could've been a different story.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I hate about this is it's so clearly a regular season stats rating. Like how Matthews is far and away the guy because he puts up 50-70 a year, and Marner is compared to Matthews as a superstar. Talent-wise, no argument whatsoever. But playoffs are more gritty and Marner specifically got shit on for just not wanting to go into the corners. Just coasting and becoming a nonfactor in the playoffs. Regular season, you can pretty much pencil him as a top 20 scorer in the league, but that completely dismisses your main goal of winning it all. The cup that is.

Marner has been a PO no show for years so I completely agree with your statement. The POs is where your mettle is built and shown, and that TO core simply fails that test every single year.

But I also feel that could be applied to the Kings. The only consistent performer I've noticed who's willing to bull his way around is Kempe in all 3 years. Just this morning on NHLN they showed some of the WCQF game (not sure which one) between the Oilers and Kings this season and Kempe clearly stood out. That guy was trying to will his team into battle, drag them into the fight. Nope. Nothing. And it showed with a meaningless OT win, they essentially got swept.

I also belive this is why Kempe, not Anderson, will be the next captain of this team. Blake won't be here to piss him off or screw the pooch roster building wise so I fully expect Kempe to stay in LA on a big dollar deal, he's been an absolute steal on this contract. I'll give Bowlby that one, one of his very few home runs.

Byfield has the pedigree, draft position, and early production for those models. But he needs to find an edge and find a way to use his body more. Look, if he pulls a Hughes this year and just dominates, then Kings are got a steal for sure. But it looks like Kings paid for his potential and his value is already built in. I think the value of his signing is fair, honestly, but it's not an "A" just because of potential.

100%. Like I said before, he needs to hit 60-70 points minimum to prove he's worth it not to mention the Kings made a good decision. Anything less or he doesn't eclipse last year's 55 will not be good.

He definitely needs to bring an edge to his game consistently, him laying out McJesus gave me a boner. I want to see more of that and be more of a factor every shift he is out there.

I could see Kings pulling a Vancouver this year. Games and early success fall their way, and they could ride a hot start into the playoffs. Avoid Edmonton and maybe win a round or two. Feels like that is their cap. Avoid the high end teams and they could do something. Even last year, it felt like if they could've just matched up with Vancouver, they could've been a different story.

I don't know man, you're far more optimistic than I am. Teams that missed improved this summer and you know Vegas and Edmonton will still be top 3 in the division. Vancouver petered out in the end, but they'll be more hungry after going two rounds deep.

Then of course you have Nashville loading up, Dallas will be strong again as will Colorado and I don't have my hopes too high for this season.

Last edited: