• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The youth needs to step up, that's the only way this is going to work. That's a lot of pressure on them but hey, when you marinade them in the minors for 6000 years and don't put them in positions to develop their games you get the JADs, Bjornfots and whatnot of the world.

Then they age out and you lose them to Waivers or get a minimal return on them because the evaluation window was well past the expired by date. Rinse and repeat.

Even if some guys like Fiala, Foegle, Kempe, Byfield just match what they did last season, that leaves a huge gap because of the talent level drop off after the veterans. There needs to be significant contributions from guys between 22-26, guys like Turcotte, Thomas, Fagemo (if he makes the team, his overall game is behind other prospects) to even have a shot to compete for a PO spot.

If those guys do not make that leap this season...it's going to be a long one. Bowlby is out of options because of how he mismanaged the cap and assets.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trouba is just a big hitter these days, he is a black hole defensively. But LA needs him? Clearly this guy doesn't know Spence and Clarke are tabbed for RD2 and RD3 and they have most likely finished rounding out the defense for the season.

They still need a T6 winger more than anything and that is where money would go, not on a guy like Trouba even at $6 million with money from NY retained; they would have just kept Roy if they could afford that.

And I seriously don't know how these aspiring guys get these articles published when they haven't even done simple research. The Kings 2025 2nd round pick was sent to Tampa in the Jeannot trade. They do not have an additional one either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read some stuff on Anaheim and I guess they made huge offers to some guys, especially Stamkos, and those guys took less money to go elsewhere. Chicago signed a bunch of guys, and San Jose actually even made some moves to improve their team. Anaheim specifically has so much cap that their fans can't figure out what they're doing.

The crazy part is LA has been benefitting from San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix/Utah being so bad, but that is bound to change here in as soon as a probably 1-2-3 years. Especially the new Utah team. They have been loaded with guys and underachieving for too long. Anaheim has been just hoarding top picks for a little while now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trouba is just a big hitter these days, he is a black hole defensively. But LA needs him? Clearly this guy doesn't know Spence and Clarke are tabbed for RD2 and RD3 and they have most likely finished rounding out the defense for the season.

They still need a T6 winger more than anything and that is where money would go, not on a guy like Trouba even at $6 million with money from NY retained; they would have just kept Roy if they could afford that.

And I seriously don't know how these aspiring guys get these articles published when they haven't even done simple research. The Kings 2025 2nd round pick was sent to Tampa in the Jeannot trade. They do not have an additional one either.

Yeah there is a reason NY is looking to move him. He was exposed really bad when they started playing better teams. Was going way out of position to try to end people's careers with some highlight hit instead of staying in his position. Cost them a few games in key moments. Feels weird to just subvert your captain and immediately start shopping him around, but I think NY needs to make their moves now. Shesterkin looking to absolutely bend them over. I think that was posted here, but Shesterkin didn't even say a number, just that he wanted 14% of whatever the cap ends up being. So I think NY is making their super push now before that happens.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read some stuff on Anaheim and I guess they made huge offers to some guys, especially Stamkos, and those guys took less money to go elsewhere. Chicago signed a bunch of guys, and San Jose actually even made some moves to improve their team. Anaheim specifically has so much cap that their fans can't figure out what they're doing.

The crazy part is LA has been benefitting from San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix/Utah being so bad, but that is bound to change here in as soon as a probably 1-2-3 years. Especially the new Utah team. They have been loaded with guys and underachieving for too long. Anaheim has been just hoarding top picks for a little while now.

This is why Unless LA pulls a rabbit out of a hat I see very dark times for Kings fans over the next few years. Other than buster Somehow becoming a superstar, We have very little upside to look forward to while everyone else will be getting much better.

There's really not much in the system, When was the last time LA drafted somebody NHL Ready?

That means some hard times ahead lol

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why Unless LA pulls a rabbit out of a hat I see very dark times for Kings fans over the next few years. Other than buster Somehow becoming a superstar, We have very little upside to look forward to while everyone else will be getting much better.

There's really not much in the system, When was the last time LA drafted somebody NHL Ready?

That means some hard times ahead lol

Buster is literally the only one who has a shot. I got so soured on that dude for 3 years but he showed some glimpses last season, enough to see improvement this season. If he sputters out the Kings literally have nothing in terms of a game breaker while teams like SJ and Anaheim have drafted multiple high end talents with some guys (Carlsson for example) already showing superstar potential 1 year into his NHL career. And Utah will indeed pop any time soon now, all this bodes very poorly for LA coming up soon unless something changes and fast.

Last NHL ready player drafted? My guess is Andreas Lilja back in 2000 or whatever.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't know. I was excited to be entering a window to compete but it just didn't happen. Seems like this team probably overcorrected after the first Edmonton series loss. But the team didn't look like they could beat them in any capacity, so maybe there was no answer (Other than maybe trying to avoid them in the playoffs). Edmonton and Vegas are also just really good teams, so there's that. Dallas to some degree too. I thought Dallas was the team this year, but they really didn't finish strong. That Petersen signing and departure hurt, but the PLD trade was a killer. Glad they got away from the cap, but they did lose Villardi, Iafallo, and a pick. Just launching assets into the league with no return. The Walker and Roy signings were sorta shocking to me with how much they go, but maybe LA just still has that level of respect with their defensive systems and assets (Ala Martinez and such). I do think this team got a little tougher, which is actually nice. Free up some space for their skill guys, which is sort of how you're supposed to build a team. They should be a little faster and tougher, which actually seems like probably an improvement. The Lewis signing is bananas to me though. Was one of my favorite players when he was with LA, but he took that nasty spill the first stint with LA and was just never the same. Now he's even older. He always had horrible hands, but his speed was so effective. Guys that rely on their speed don't get better with age.

I was in a pretty bad mood earlier alluding to moving a guy like Doughty or Kopitar, but if you realistically don't have a window open, and these guys want to win, it would almost make sense to tell them that and see if they want to have a crack at another cup with someone else. Get younger, get some picks, and just retool again. The other move is more honorable, but then the way Quick was handled, I don't really get it. The other move would be retain both dudes, hover around the playoff bubble, and just enjoy these guys in Kings jerseys until they retire. Never push for a cup again, but not mail it in either. Kind of like Washington while Ovechkin chases Gretzky's record. But getting younger and getting picks leads to other main issue, that LA isn't developing their young guys (Or are taking a record amount of time to do so). Like how for YEARS we assumed Kempe was a bottom 6 guy who just didn't pan out. Go like 40 games without scoring. Then at like 25 he just becomes a superstar. There's some possibility of that still with younger guys, but it does not mesh with the older dudes needing support now.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pretty much nailed everything. The biggest issue is no one developed in that mid 20s range to bridge the gap between the kids like Buster and the vets like Kopitar.

That was a death knell for this "rebuild". Dumbo was very successful at this and his track record showed it.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TA, how each team improved after initial free agency. TLDR, not good:

27. Los Angeles Kings

Net Rating added: -19
Salary added: -$9 million

Key Additions: Warren Foegele, Tanner Jeannot, Joel Edmundson, Darcy Kuemper

Key Departures: Viktor Arvidsson, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Carl Grundstrom, Blake Lizotte, Matt Roy, Cam Talbot

If it wasn’t already clear from three straight playoffs that there’s a massive gap between the Kings and Oilers, it should be even clearer now after a low-key bad offseason in Los Angeles.

The Kings cut bait on Pierre-Luc Dubois which is fine given the circumstances, but still leaves them with one less top-six caliber forward. The same goes for Viktor Arvidsson. Warren Foegele and Tanner Jeannot are far from adequate replacements there.

Los Angeles received Darcy Kuemper the other way in the Dubois deal and I’m not sold he’s much of an improvement over Cam Talbot — at over twice the cost.

On defense, there may not be a bigger downgrade for a team than going from Matt Roy to Joel Edmundson. Maybe that’s mitigated by Brandt Clarke immediately ascending to top-four status, but that feels like a risk.

This Kings team already wasn’t good enough to go deep and they just got worse.

Ouch.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this on You Tube, these guys absolutely shredded the Kings and their moves. The dude in the middle is a dummy, and it's pretty harsh overall but it is truthful unfortunately.

It's about 15 minutes long so pop it on while you're doing dishes or driving or something but around the 11:30 mark they revisit some moves Blake made and its pretty damning.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting turn of events, seemed like an announcement was going to be made that McLellan was hired as HC of the BJs. Now he's out of the running altogether:

What happens when a coach is fired but has term and money left, the new team and former team discuss that contract and dollars and see who will pay what. Makes me wonder if the BJs and Kings couldn't agree on the split.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting turn of events, seemed like an announcement was going to be made that McLellan was hired as HC of the BJs. Now he's out of the running altogether:

What happens when a coach is fired but has term and money left, the new team and former team discuss that contract and dollars and see who will pay what. Makes me wonder if the BJs and Kings couldn't agree on the split.
Damn so much for my Arty to BJ's trade idea

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Blake can get a real 2C, i would be ok calling them a PO team. I am hard on the current team, But I do think they are better suited for playing edmonton With a couple guys that can actually stop a for check. And smash someone cutting in front of the net.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Blake can get a real 2C, i would be ok calling them a PO team. I am hard on the current team, But I do think they are better suited for playing edmonton With a couple guys that can actually stop a for check. And smash someone cutting in front of the net.

Have to disagree my man. They couldn't beat Edmonton with what they did have and I think they got worse. They aren't just a 2C away from contending IMO.

Arvidsson, Roy, PLD, Lizotte out and replaced with Foegele, Jeannot, Edmunson, Kuemper and potentially Clarke or Spence in Roy's spot. Arvdisson was a play driver when healthy, PLD was a skilled third liner who should have been in the T6, Roy is one of the best shut down defenders in the game. That looks like steps back to me and signals the youth has to produce, it's sink or swim time.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they make the POs but I don't see it barring something major this summer or by the TDL. They don't have the talent to bounce anyone of significance in a 7 game series.

I will agree it'll be entertaining to see how rough the Kings play this season. I see a lot.of suspensions in their future.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHLT going over the top 10 plays of the SCFs, Barkov and his goal faking Skinner out and putting it into a wide open net.

Of course Nurse the pylon was out there but the dude Barkov really burned leaving him face down and stick extended? Foegele.

Welcome to LA!

=)~~

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same story. Not sure how these guys get jobs. But at least comments from their own fans are more level-headed.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll see your article and raise you one, not one Offer Sheet but TWO! And Arty Retardy is the other one on a combined dual offer.

First I'd be very surprised to see an OS, second I think a team would be stupid to go balls out on Byfield including LA. His stat line looks good but like I've harped on he got points in bunches and disappeared for stretches at a time. An absolute step forward this season but still needs to develop consistency to prove he can in fact be a T3/T6 forward.

And Arty? His value is so low right now I can't see anyone sending an OS for enough money to warrant LA taking significant picks back. Basically anything under $5 million is useless in terms of draft pick compensation and he isn't worth even offering that for.

Some of these articles are just silly, but we are in the dog days of summer. Gives the writers something to do I suppose.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TA with way too early predictions (Cup, surprise contender, dark horse, awards, etc):

Oilers ranked first (46.9%) to win it all, Kings ranked 6/7 on Dark Horse at 3.1%. I'm skeptical they'll even make the POs let alone be a dark horse.

They have 6 teams as surprise playoff teams (Utah, Caps, Kraken, Blues, Hawks and BJs in that order) and I think 3 of those teams make it which takes 3 spots away from the West (my picks are Utah, Blues and Hawks).

Hiller ranked 8/13 for first coach fired, Kopitar doesn't even make the Selke candidate list and Blake is nowhere near the Jim Gregory candidate list.

SNAFU, over and out.