• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pozz's Camp News-Goodwin, T Brown now starting

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see Alex stepping up. I am hopeful that this carries over but as others on the board have alluded to, we have heard this in past training camps. I am still really scared about the offensive line though. Snyder at G and Goodwin at C should help, but it still scares me. Hopefully last weeks line problems were more due to Snyder not calling the correct protections versus Staley, Davis, and Rachal just flat being terrible.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder won't be an imrovement at guard over Rachal. He got absolutely manhandled playing that position before. Now he weighs even less. We need to pick up a better guard and soon.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Snyder won't be an imrovement at guard over Rachal. He got absolutely manhandled playing that position before. Now he weighs even less. We need to pick up a better guard and soon.

Although I would agree on needing a better guard, I would like to point out that weight is not as simple as you have stated above. It's not about the wieght but leverage and technique that is important. I would even venture that Snyder's play will improve now that he weigh less than he did last year especially on pass protection. The heavier a person gets, the harder it is for them to move laterally. Once their weight goes in one direction, it's harder for them to change direction.

last year, the Niners' offense was centered around the power running game. For that to be effective, you would want bigger linemen that are hard to move and can hold up D linemen and blast a hole for the RB.

This year, they are going to run a version of the WCO which will require more athletic OL .

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weight is that easy when you are talking about a G weighing less than 300 lbs which is what Barrows reported. I don't know too many Gs that are that light and don't get blown off the ball.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I would agree on needing a better guard, I would like to point out that weight is not as simple as you have stated above. It's not about the wieght but leverage and technique that is important. I would even venture that Snyder's play will improve now that he weigh less than he did last year especially on pass protection. The heavier a person gets, the harder it is for them to move laterally. Once their weight goes in one direction, it's harder for them to change direction.

last year, the Niners' offense was centered around the power running game. For that to be effective, you would want bigger linemen that are hard to move and can hold up D linemen and blast a hole for the RB.

This year, they are going to run a version of the WCO which will require more athletic OL .

In the old West Coast Offense we ran it was different. You could get away with having more versatile Offensive linemen who were lighter. Unfortunately times have changed and that simply doesn't work anymore.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Niners looking at different o-line configurations

The new combinations have Jonathan Goodwin at center, Snyder at right guard in place of Rachal and Alex Boone at right tackle instead of Davis. On Monday, offensive coordinator Greg Roman said one of the reasons for the different looks was "really continencies in case there were injuries" to the starters. Still, as most 49ers observers will attest, Rachal and Davis struggled the most of all the team's linemen last season.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The new combinations have Jonathan Goodwin at center, Snyder at right guard in place of Rachal and Alex Boone at right tackle instead of Davis. On Monday, offensive coordinator Greg Roman said one of the reasons for the different looks was "really contingencies in case there were injuries" to the starters. Still, as most 49ers observers will attest, Rachal and Davis struggled the most of all the team's linemen last season.

Hilarious...

Just once I would like to read the published report of these types of comments to read:

"...When asked about the O'Line changes, Greg Roman responded with the biggest bunch of bullshit this reporter has ever heard."

...And in other news...

What the hell? Do they honestly think we are not watching the o'line hand out road maps to the QB? Good Lord!

</rant>

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the old West Coast Offense we ran it was different. You could get away with having more versatile Offensive linemen who were lighter. Unfortunately times have changed and that simply doesn't work anymore.

That's probably just because back then the chop-blocking technique from Bobb McKittrick was legal, wasn't it?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about you guys, but i know there are plenty of us who have been calling for the slant in what seems like forever. Just seeing it in preseason was nice to see. It definitely plays to the strengths of our WR's who can beat press coverage or work the quick slant out of the slot.

On a side note it's my favorite play to run in Madden :peace:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know about you guys, but i know there are plenty of us who have been calling for the slant in what seems like forever. Just seeing it in preseason was nice to see. It definitely plays to the strengths of our WR's who can beat press coverage or work the quick slant out of the slot.

On a side note it's my favorite play to run in Madden :peace:

Co-signed!