• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hall of Fame Article

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an article from The Athletic by Peter Gammons, and it is fantastic. Kruk and Kuip make an appearance, too. If you guys don't subscribe to The Athletic (it is about $5/month), you should. Great writing. What Sports Illustrated used to be back in the day.

Gammons: A space in the Hall of Fame for those who made us love the game

GettyImages-75569434-1024x744.jpg

By Peter Gammons Jul 27, 2018
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

COOPERSTOWN — The National Baseball Hall of Fame museum is part Smithsonian, part MOMA, part Museum of Natural History, brilliant in layout and its appreciation of baseball as part of American cultural history. After hitting his 600th home run, Jim Thome said the highlight of his career was right before he delivered the bat from his 400th to The Hall, on a cool autumn day, sitting on the porch of the Otesaga Hotel with his father, waiting to walk up the street to the museum.

This weekend Thome will be inducted into that museum, along with Trevor Hoffman, Alan Trammell, Jack Morris, Vlad Guerrero and Chipper Jones, players who earned the affection of millions of fans who loved the game as much as anyone who listened to a radio underneath their pillow or sat in the bleachers or stood for hours by a dugout begging for an autograph.

There is no question that, as Tom Seaver once said, “the club Hall of Famers join is one club whose admission cannot be bought or granted by legacy, only earned.” With the guidance of analytical giants like Bill James and Jay Jaffe, voters spend weeks studying candidates’ qualifications, as if they were applicants to Stanford or M.I.T.

But part of the joy of being a baseball fan who gets chills walking through The Hall is the fun of it all, as well as memories of special players who did so much to enhance our enjoyment. A couple of weeks ago, Tom Verducci, Jim Kaat and I were talking before a game at Fenway Park. Verducci and Kaat were working the game for MLB Network. When I began a television career at ESPN in 1988, my first partner was Kaat. After weaving through a half hour of stories and pitching theories, Kaat left, and as he walked away Verducci said, “How can Jim Kaat not be in the Hall of Fame? Look at all he’s done in and for the game.” Not just the 25 years, the 283 wins, the 16 Gold Gloves or the four appearances at age 43 to help the Cardinals win the 1982 World Series.

Contributions to the game beyond the field can be as important as numbers on it.

As I prepared to drive to this beautiful town, I started thinking of one more large room in the museum. It would be called “For the Love of the Game,” and set up so people with unique contributions to baseball would seem to be in this room together, talking about how they had made the real life of the game better.

Here is my first class of 20 people who made me, and so many of us, love baseball:

1. Jim Kaat.

2. Marvin Miller. By winning the Messersmith-McNally decision in December of 1975, Miller changed baseball. Free agency put baseball on the front pages of every sports section in America year-round, to the point where from November to the opening of spring training, the offseason draws as much attention as the regular season. When Gussie Busch and the owners held players captive, baseball was a seven-month business. Now, it’s 12 months a year, 24/7. Any ex-player on the Veterans’ Committee that did not vote for Miller doesn’t get it. And actually, even management voters should realize that when Miller removed the shackles of the reserve market, the business of baseball began its ascent to where it is today.

3. George Kissell. Sixty-nine years with the Cardinals, the most influential development figure of the last half-century. “The Cardinal Way” was the George Kissell way. “He could talk for 15 minutes about a ground ball,” Whitey Herzog once said. Ask Joe Torre, whom Kissell converted from catcher to third baseman using creative drills most had never imagined.

4. Larry Lucchino and Janet Marie Smith. When Edward Bennett Williams began the process of building a stadium near the Baltimore Harbor, Lucchino and architect Smith figured out what fans wanted — and as soon as Camden Yards opened, the sports industry realized that venues equaled revenues. It changed baseball and football, professional and amateur. Smith went on to turn Atlanta’s Olympic Stadium into a fans’ venue. They collaborated on Petco Park in San Diego, arguably the most underrated park in the game. They overhauled Fenway; there are no Monster Seats without them. Remember, the year before Camden opened, the White Sox opened their new Comiskey Park (now Guaranteed Rate Field), which was just another monotone ballpark.

5. Gene Mauch. He was one of my baseball godfathers, and a fascinating man. In the winters in the early fifties, before the first westward expansion (to Kansas City), players who lived in the Los Angeles area had hot-stove banquets, many emceed by Ronald Reagan. One night, as the players gathered to eat and drink, Reagan was complaining about taxes, and Mauch told him if he didn’t like them, he should run for office. I first wrote that in Sports Illustrated, and the fact checker contacted the White House, and Reagan’s press staff confirmed the story. When Mauch played in Havana in winter ball, he befriended Fidel Castro. He mentored generations of astute baseball minds, like Joe Maddon and Bob Boone.

6. Bill Dinneen. This is a Verducci contribution: Dinneen pitched andumpired in the World Series, pitched and called a no-hitter, threw the first World Series shutout, played for 12 years, umpired for 29 and is mentioned in the Dropkick Murphys’ “Tessie,” co-written by journalist Jeff Horrigan.

7. Bill James. He created the analytical world. His writing was musical, his thought process that of a genius. I would want James’ picture/plaque face-to-face with Jim Brosnan, because they changed the way I watched baseball and crafted my journalistic beliefs.

8. Jim Brosnan. The Long Season was written in 1959, when he bounced from St. Louis to Cincinnati. The book was intensely personal, and as a teenager, it taught me that the players are people — human and insecure. Ten years later, when I first covered the major leagues, I had a totally different view of the humanity of those who play the game.

9. Gil Hodges. First the heart of the Dodgers, then manager of the 1969 world champion Mets, and to millions of New York fans in the glory days of the 1950s and ’60s, he is the symbol of leadership, discipline and modesty.

10. Mark Shapiro. Mark started with John Hart, and when he became general manager of the Indians, opened the doors to bright, creative young executives with opportunity, empowerment and the realization that the Indians stand for developing executives as well as players. Look around the game: Ben Cherington, Chris Antonetti, Mike Chernoff, Derek Falvey, Mike Hazen and David Stearns all learned from the culture Shapiro established. When Antonetti says “my hiring is based on finding people that are smarter than I am,” those are also Shapiro’s words. You will find few in the industry smarter or more genuine than Shapiro (now with the Blue Jays) and Antonetti, who lead by the Marines’ motto that the first tenet of leadership is authenticity.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part two:

11. Bob Sheppard. The voice of the old Yankee Stadium. Carl Yastrzemski said, “you’re not a full major leaguer until Bob Sheppard has announced your name.” Mickey Mantle once said that every time Bob Sheppard announced his name, he got chills. Sheppard replied, “so did I.”

12. Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. The baseball fan’s perfect announcing pair.

13. Mike Andrews. Andrews was a good player, a key figure on the ’67 Impossible Dream Red Sox team, as well as the ’73 Oakland world championship team. But baseball is only a small part of his legacy, as he remained in Boston and for decades ran The Jimmy Fund, raising more than $70 million for the Dana-Farber center for pediatric and adult cancer. Few Boston athletes have had as much of an impact on their community as Andrews, who changed and saved lives and made The Jimmy Fund one of the largest cancer programs in America.

14. Nancy Faust. When she took over as the White Sox organist in the ’70s, she changed both baseball organists and in-game entertainment. Less “Take Me Out to the Ballgame,” more “Sha na na na… hey hey hey… goodbye.” In 1977, when Pablo Torrealba saved back-to-back games, she played “To-re-alba, To-re-alba” to the tune of Handel’s “Hallelujah Chorus.”

15. John Walsh. He started the first Sunday TV pregame football show. He was editor of Rolling Stone. Most of all, he built ESPN into what it was in the 1990s. He got the MLB contract, and in 1990 created “Baseball Tonight,” which changed the way generations viewed baseball news and highlights. Like my colleague Leigh Montville, Walsh saw the world from a hot air balloon, a view few understood when he initiated ideas.

16. Art Stewart. A few years ago, Zack Greinke was seen at an Arkansas game with Stewart, who drafted him for the Royals back in 2002. Art Stewart defines the work and judgment of the great scouts.

17. Tim Kurkjian. I am in my 50th year in the news business, and believe Tim Kurkjian and Jayson Stark are the purest baseball writers I have ever known. Jayson will be here in Cooperstown in the next couple of years for The Spink Award.

18. Paul Owens and Dallas Green. As Stark points out, from 1976 through 1983 — eight consecutive seasons — the Phillies could have won it all. Paul Owens was a dominant figure in a development system that brought Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone, Garry Maddox and so many other extraordinary players to the big leagues. Owens got Pete Rose to Philly, then put Dallas Green in as manager, and they brought Philadelphia its first world championship in 1980. Green kept the media away from the players with great quotes like “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t shove his head in it.” Green then went to the Cubs as general manager, acquired Ryne Sandberg, Dennis Eckersley and Rick Sutcliffe — two Hall of Famers and a Cy Young winner — and the Cubs won the NL East in 1984.

19. Minnie Miñoso. Bill Veeck wanted to integrate the game in the early 1940s, but was denied. In 1949, he brought a young Minnie Miñoso to Cleveland, and The Cuban Comet made seven All-Star teams, had a career .298/.389/.459 slash line, then played again at the ages of 50 and 54. As Kaat recently said, “How can Minnie Miñoso not be in the Hall of Fame?” One more Veterans’ Committee snub, and Luis Tiant can join the company in this room and stare at Miñoso.

20. Pete Rose. Charles Comiskey, owner, is in the Hall of Fame, despite 1919. Rose is flawed, and he will probably never be voted in, but this is about the love of the game. Pete Rose loves to win, he loves the game, fans love him. My museum room is the place for him.

Baseball isn’t solely about WAR, or wOBA, as useful as those things are. Without the fans, no one cares. Let’s celebrate fun, and the love of the game.

(Top photo of Miñoso with Bill Veeck: Mark Rucker/Transcendental Graphics, Getty Images)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing. Weird that he at least writes a couple of sentences explaining all of his picks, except Kruk and Kuip.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Kaat? How many can say they pitched a complete victory over Koufax in a WS game?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Rose...

He is completely banned from the hall, isn’t he? Meaning, he can’t even buy a ticket?