• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please, no more CK7 vs. Smith debates

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone has mistreated Smith or thrown him under anything. He is liked and respected but this is about the team. I just hope Alex can dry his tears with his millions of dollars.

I don't think that means much to him. I really don't. Especially past the first contract, in which he could have quit after and still be RICH. But I also think he'll look back at the positives of playing in the league and use his smarts and experience to go into coaching or something. He's not retiring now, of course. I mean when he's done.

I always liked him, but he earned big respect from me when he turned down being a backup to Rivers (potentially, if his being a backup was ok for him) for a chance to start again here. A lot of people, some that wanted him gone, suggested there were greener pastures elsewhere (the same that said later that this was the optimal place for him to play).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that means much to him. I really don't. Especially past the first contract, in which he could have quit after and still be RICH. But I also think he'll look back at the positives of playing in the league and use his smarts and experience to go into coaching or something. He's not retiring now, of course. I mean when he's done.

I always liked him, but he earned big respect from me when he turned down being a backup to Rivers (potentially, if his being a backup was ok for him) for a chance to start again here. A lot of people, some that wanted him gone, suggested there were greener pastures elsewhere (the same that said later that this was the optimal place for him to play).

over the past few seasons, smith has been our best option. everything changed last week.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, hey, hey...careful with that broad brush.

You are one of the sane ones, my friend. I don't what it is. I've never seen such blind loyalty to what is, at best, at average player at the most important position in the sport. Maybe people are still shell-shocked from the trolls at the ESPN boards, but this is just nuts.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't compare smith to montana

Yes you did. You compared Alex Smith's lack of tools to Joe Montana's lack of tools. What's your point if you're not comparing them as QBs?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know it doesn't mean much to his feelings at the moment but fact is, they guy had a long crack at being "the guy" and for numerous reasons (most which he couldn't control) it hasn't happened. At the end of the day, anyone of us typing here would switch spots with him so while I like him I can't feel that bad for him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are one of the sane ones, my friend. I don't what it is. I've never seen such blind loyalty to what is, at best, at average player at the most important position in the sport. Maybe people are still shell-shocked from the trolls at the ESPN boards, but this is just nuts.

so other than smith, who was our best option at qb over the past few seasons? smith might not have been the perfect option but he was the best option.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Last week someone said Kaep put up Smith like numbers as well. The 243 yards Kaep threw for last week were the 4th highest total the team has passed for under Harbaugh.

The 231 this week were the 7th most. Under Harbaugh Smith has thrown for under 200 yards 11 times (not counting the Rams game where he was injured).

If you want to make a case for Smith to continue to start, then go for it. It will be a weak case. But please, don't pretend that the offense under Smith is the same as the offense under Kaepernick.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about who you or Kinzu said should be the the starting QB next week. Read the thread and come back to me, asshole.

I've been reading. But once you give nothing to someone's post and just blatantly laugh at them. Then you can not be taken serious.

Either way go niners! Life is good!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so other than smith, who was our best option at qb over the past few seasons? smith might not have been the perfect option but he was the best option.

Who knows, but how many of those QBs have had the opportunity to play with this amount of talent and under this coaching staff?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you did. You compared Alex Smith's lack of tools to Joe Montana's lack of tools. What's your point if you're not comparing them as QBs?

the point is u can be effective without having great physical tools. ppl just all over smith's lack of physical tools but if you can win games who cares?

if i was gonna compare smith to any qb i would say he's a mix between pennington and jake plummer.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading. But once you give nothing to someone's post and just blatantly laugh at them. Then you can not be taken serious.

Either way go niners! Life is good!

I'm laughing at the sheer hypocrisy in Kinzu's post. If Smith posted these numbers today, and someone made a thread about Smith playing mediocre, he would've jumped down that person's throat and would've called Smith's performance great. He, space, iguana, viper, etc. have been doing that all year. So when Kaep apparently has an "Alex Smith-like" performance, it's all of the sudden not that great?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just putting the game into perspective. Kaep handled his first road game in a hostile situation well. He led 2 good touchdown scoring drives and a great drive that took a ton of time off the clock late in the game.

Were those things Alex couldn't do? No.
Does it mean Alex should start? No.

Both QB's have their strengths and ways of handling things. I think we could have won today with either of them because the star of the game was the Defense getting us 14 points.

Remember where the game was when Brooks picked off Brees and took it back for a TD. It was shortly after Ginn fumbled the punt and the Saints went up 14-7. 2 possessions later the Saints picked off Kaep at their own 44 yard line. The Saints were in a position to add 3 maybe 7 points or at least run out the rest of the clock and go into half time with a 7 point lead. Instead Brooks picks off Brees and takes it back for 7 points and the game was tied at half time. That was by far the play of the game.

Already said this but will say it again. I wanted us to draft Kaep and thought he was a better prospect than Locker, Ponder, Dalton, and Gabbert. I would have taken Newton ahead of him but no one else.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, but how many of those QBs have had the opportunity to play with this amount of talent and under this coaching staff?

do u think we go to the playoffs with kolb? poor qb play has hurt and gotten many coaches fired.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the point is u can be effective without having great physical tools. ppl just all over smith's lack of physical tools but if you can win games who cares?

if i was gonna compare smith to any qb i would say he's a mix between pennington and jake plummer.

Of course. Joe Montana was effective because his uncanny pocket presence, his ability to make post-snap reads in a split-second, and his elite accuracy on all levels of the field.

In two games Kaepernick has shown as much pocket poise and maneuverability as Alex Smith has ever did. He's shown better improvisational ability, a better arm, better mentality at attack defenses, and a different threat in the redzone.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we cut Alex next spring most likely landing spots.....

AZ?
CLE?
I'd say SD but Norv is gone.
PHI? They might clean house.
Where else?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Imac, Smith's average game this year (let's call it 8 1/2 games the sample size, though Kap had plenty of snaps during that span):

17.88 for 25.52 for 203 yards.

Kap today 16 for 25 for 231 yards.

Pretty close. Kap more yards, but the turnover to go with it. Kap is obviously the better option going forward, I'm not saying Smith should be in there, but the idea this game was so much better than Smith I think is silly. You're gonna see more big plays, and more bad plays, and overall I think it will come close to evening out.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do u think we go to the playoffs with kolb? poor qb play has hurt and gotten many coaches fired.

Tough to say. I think Kolb would look better on this team that he does on the Cardinals. I think Alex Smith would look like the 2007 or 2008 Alex Smith if he was playing on the Cardinals.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I care, I'd rather have a QB that can win games for you, over a QB who comes along for the wins. I think Kap has shown some signs that he could be that QB.

It takes me back to the time when Vince Young supporters used the "he just wins" argument despite the fact that Young was actually limiting them, and it was their defense and running game that really won.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't know if this is what anyone meant... but I feel pretty confident that if Smith had that type of statistical game with the defense scoring 14... people would be taking him to task for his production.

I know because, I've seen that played out plenty of times where if the defense scores people actually criticize Smith for that...