• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please, no more CK7 vs. Smith debates

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had no problem calling other people Alex Smith haters when they tried to do the same thing to Alex Smith.

The only person I would ever call an Alex hater is Cazic and he is long gone. The only reason for that is because he was clearly not open to debate about anything. He had a 1 track mind and that was that Alex sucked.

I've not said anything here to suggest I hate Kaep or don't think he should be starting. I do still have concerns over us being able to win a Super Bowl with him, but it's not like we were a lock to win it with Alex either. I view Alex as someone that gives the team steady and reliable production with minimum mistakes at the position. I view Kaep is a bit of wild card still. He easily has more ability to make plays, but can he be reliable and make those plays when we need them as opposed to making a bad play when we can't afford it? I get why he is starting though because assuming he can make the plays he is clearly our best option. What he did today was encouraging.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only person I would ever call an Alex hater is Cazic and he is long gone. The only reason for that is because he was clearly not open to debate about anything. He had a 1 track mind and that was that Alex sucked.

I've not said anything here to suggest I hate Kaep or don't think he should be starting. I do still have concerns over us being able to win a Super Bowl with him, but it's not like we were a lock to win it with Alex either. I view Alex as someone that gives the team steady and reliable production with minimum mistakes at the position. I view Kaep is a bit of wild card still. He easily has more ability to make plays, but can he be reliable and make those plays when we need them as opposed to making a bad play when we can't afford it? I get why he is starting though because assuming he can make the plays he is clearly our best option. What he did today was encouraging.

I really haven't kept up with exactly who said what in this thread but is a reasonable post, maybe we can end it before the discussion degenerates.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just think it's absurd for anyone to think he had a great game. It's the same old story it has been for years. Alex has a great game and everyone wants to down play it. Alex wins and it's because of Gore or the Defense. We rarely ever as a group agree on him having a good game.

Any QB in a 49ers jersey though wins a game not named Alex and so many want to hail them as being the sole reason for our success. Kaep got the win today thanks to the Defense. That's not trying to down play what he did it's just the fact of what happened. Is it so wrong to say that? Is it only ok to say that if Alex is the QB?

I clearly stated in my first post after the game I thought what Kaep did today was impressive considering the situation he was up against, but I'm apparently a Kaep hater for wanting to give the defense credit for the win.

I didn't say he had a great game. If Alex put up those number though, people would call it a great game. Nearly 9 ypa, 2 TDs and 232 yards for Smith is a great game. Throw 0 sacks in there as well. . . .

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Colin Kaepernick: Total QBR of 85.0 through his first 2 starts; Only QB to do better in 1st 2 career starts in last 5 seasons- Aaron Rodgers

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-Outside-the-pocket success: Kaepernick was 5-for-7 for 54 yards and a touchdown on throws made outside the pocket.

For the season, Kaepernick is 11-for-18 with three touchdowns and no interceptions on his outside-the-pocket throws. Smith is 9-for-19 on such throws with one touchdown and one interception.

Kaepernick has converted first downs nine times on his 18 outside-the-pocket throws. Smith has converted only four of 19.

2-Comfortable with play action: Kaepernick was 7-for-10 for 125 yards and a touchdown on his play-action pass attempts, converting first downs on all seven of those completions.

He was 9-for-15 for 107 yards on his other throws, converting three first downs. The play-action was aided by the 49ers averaging nearly five yards per rush.

3-Outplayed Drew Brees: Though Brees threw for three touchdowns, he had a rough game, with two interceptions returned for scores the other way (the first time the 49ers had multiple interception returns for touchdowns in a game since 1995).

Brees finished the day 2-of-9 for 76 yards and an interception on throws deeper than 10 yards downfield, his worst completion percentage on those throws in the last five seasons.

Sunday was the first time this season Brees had more overthrown passes (three) than completions (two) on those throws.

Though Kaepernick had an interception of his own, he was 4-for-8 for 98 yards on throws of that length. That included a pair of third down completions to Delanie Walker, extending drives that resulted in a touchdown and a field goal.

Kaepernick succeeds again in multiple ways - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

Can someone explain again how this was an "Alex Smith-like" performance?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaepernick didn't have a great game today, then Alex Smith didn't have a great game against the Cardinals, Lions, and Bills. CK made more impact throws last week against the Bears Smith did in all three of those games.

Alex Smith can thank the defense and running game for most of his wins

Wow. Smith threw for 8 TDs and 0 INTs in the games against the Cards, Lions and Bills. Yeah that's the same as what Kaep did today :L I think Kaep played well but no he did not play that well.

We did win today more because of the D than anything else - and you can say that about plenty of games Smith has started - but so what? That happens, especially with this team, it's not a bad thing. It's not the same as winning despite Kaep, he did enough to win this game, but without 14 from the D, I don't think we win.

Although I only remember one play he actually threw deep and completed (Walker) he did do some things with his feet that Alex doesn't/can't do. As far as the rest of the passing attack it wasn't anything Alex doesn't do. That's fine though, it's not a bad thing just an observation.

He only made maybe two terrible throws all day and he again ran a little loose with the ball but other than that he played a good game. If he keeps this up he's not going to give the job back to Smith.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say too, you guys were right about this being the perfect situation to roll in a young QB. I think throwing Smith to the wolves made me a little gunshy to do that with Kaepernick, but its great having a team that can erase his mistakes. Highlighting what Moss did for CK, that was awesome to prevent an INT.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say too, you guys were right about this being the perfect situation to roll in a young QB. I think throwing Smith to the wolves made me a little gunshy to do that with Kaepernick, but its great having a team that can erase his mistakes. Highlighting what Moss did for CK, that was awesome to prevent an INT.

That was the worst pass he threw all game. I know he threw the Int but some of that was the snap being so low. The pass to Moss though was just bad placement and Randy bailed him out of what would have been a big interception. Kaep knows that ball should have been higher so only Randy had a chance to go up and come down with it.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Far Kaep makes the offense more dynamic. He has the abilty to make the downfield throws, the abilty and willingness to fit it in tight windows, and the ability to move in the pocket avoid sacks and extend the play. He might very well be our QB of the future. He played a solid game today made some big plays.. He also made 2 bad throws one for a INT and one that would have been an INT had it not been for Moss. Thankfully Ahmad Brooks bailed him out on the INT.

Alex Smith is a better Trent Dilfer. He is steady and consistant. He won't usually lose the game, he will make the safe decisions and tends to take sacks rather than throwing it into tight coverages. I don't think as a fan I need to trash Alex to make Kaep look better. Alex has done a good job under Harbaugh at making the Niners a competive team. What the Niners have now is a good problem to have. They Have Kaep to start and with him the Offense looks more explosive. They Have Alex who if Kaep falters or gets hurt can step in and the team knows they can win with him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the pats won a super bowl with brady as a 1st year starter. the steelers won a super bowl with big ben as a first year starter. both teams had excellent d's and coaching. we have both things going for us.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Far Kaep makes the offense more dynamic. He has the abilty to make the downfield throws, the abilty and willingness to fit it in tight windows, and the ability to move in the pocket avoid sacks and extend the play. He might very well be our QB of the future. He played a solid game today made some big plays.. He also made 2 bad throws one for a INT and one that would have been an INT had it not been for Moss. Thankfully Ahmad Brooks bailed him out on the INT.

Alex Smith is a better Trent Dilfer. He is steady and consistant. He won't usually lose the game, he will make the safe decisions and tends to take sacks rather than throwing it into tight coverages. I don't think as a fan I need to trash Alex to make Kaep look better. Alex has done a good job under Harbaugh at making the Niners a competive team. What the Niners have now is a good problem to have. They Have Kaep to start and with him the Offense looks more explosive. They Have Alex who if Kaep falters or gets hurt can step in and the team knows they can win with him.

I agree with this whole post.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the pats won a super bowl with brady as a 1st year starter. the steelers won a super bowl with big ben as a first year starter. both teams had excellent d's and coaching. we have both things going for us.

Actually, I think Brady spent his rookie year on the bench and then in his 2nd year he took over for an injured Bledsoe and the Patriots never looked back. Sounds slightly familiar huh?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Smith threw for 8 TDs and 0 INTs in the games against the Cards, Lions and Bills. Yeah that's the same as what Kaep did today :L I think Kaep played well but no he did not play that well.

It goes both ways. If these games were against the Cards and Bills instead of Bears and Saints, you know there'd be people downgrading it and adding the obligatory "I just want to see it against bigger competition, not blaming Kaep" right before saying he "did it against nobodies, calm down!"

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Forgive me if this has already been brought up...

Todays game would have been very difficult for Alex Smith to have won. The Saints dominated our offensive line against the running game for the first 3 1/2 quarters. It actually looked like the Saints had game-planned for Alex. I know that in pre-game interviews Saints defensive players said that their wasn't much difference in prepping and game-planning against either Smith or Kaep...

I wonder if they still feel that way?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We did win today more because of the D than anything else - and you can say that about plenty of games Smith has started - but so what? That happens, especially with this team, it's not a bad thing. It's not the same as winning despite Kaep, he did enough to win this game, but without 14 from the D, I don't think we win.

Although I only remember one play he actually threw deep and completed (Walker) he did do some things with his feet that Alex doesn't/can't do. As far as the rest of the passing attack it wasn't anything Alex doesn't do. That's fine though, it's not a bad thing just an observation.

He only made maybe two terrible throws all day and he again ran a little loose with the ball but other than that he played a good game. If he keeps this up he's not going to give the job back to Smith.

So, the out route to Crabtree with the DB underneath and safety over the top, would have been attempted by Smith?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the coaching staff does go with CK the rest of the way, I hope they show him how to protect the ball while running. Its hard to watch him run with the ball resting on his fore-arm, just waiting to be jarred loose! He needs to realize this is the NFL and he can get caught from behind. Im really surprised they havent addressed it yet...