• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players skipping Bowl Games

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time, there are way too many irrelevant and worthless bowl games that nobody wants to watch, nor do people attend. For that part, I don't blame them b/c 7 and 6 win teams have no business going bowling.
You forgot sumpin'. Nowadays, everyone deserves a trophy. Well, nearly everyone... at least all the way down to 6-6. (5-7 if there ain't enough 6-6s)

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millenials= coworkers not team mates

LSU02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next man up.... unless, it costs LSU a loss... then they can eat a rotten chalupa and be wished good luck at the next level....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t mind if Kris Boyd wanted to skip the Sugar Bowl.....

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rashaun Gary
N'Keal Harry

Trend started a couple years ago, and will probably continue.
I'm totally for it. The playoffs have lessoned the importance of the other bowls. So when teams don't make the top 4, you're going to naturally see them bolt. Prior to the playoff, the "BCS bowls" were still a huge deal. Quite honestly, I don't want any of our NFL draft picks to play in bowl games that aren't the playoff; especially now that it doesn't burn a kid's redshirt to play freshman in the bowls. Let's see some of the young guys play and use it as a prep for next year

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell is talking about the NFL. I'm talking about College Universities. They should pay their players and when they sign a contract to play for their school, they put it in the contract.
Won't work, can't make the penalty high enough (legally) that they would play if they were projected top 15.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally for it. The playoffs have lessoned the importance of the other bowls. So when teams don't make the top 4, you're going to naturally see them bolt. Prior to the playoff, the "BCS bowls" were still a huge deal. Quite honestly, I don't want any of our NFL draft picks to play in bowl games that aren't the playoff; especially now that it doesn't burn a kid's redshirt to play freshman in the bowls. Let's see some of the young guys play and use it as a prep for next year
Take this to a logical conclusion. If you are projected to be the #1 pick, why even play in a playoff game? No matter how good a player is, if the college coach felt he could recruit a better replacement , he would. If you are projected to #1 at your position (even if not a QB) there is no upside to playing as you can do nothing but lose that position.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't work, can't make the penalty high enough (legally) that they would play if they were projected top 15.

Perhaps not but I still think players should get paid to play. What is one more game? If you are afraid to get hurt, you are already stacking the deck against you.

I coached football on high school level for 10 years and it never failed. Those kids who didn't get hurt always managed to get injured faster than those who just played.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take this to a logical conclusion. If you are projected to be the #1 pick, why even play in a playoff game? No matter how good a player is, if the college coach felt he could recruit a better replacement , he would. If you are projected to #1 at your position (even if not a QB) there is no upside to playing as you can do nothing but lose that position.
Yup. See Jake Butt last year. Probably lost out on a few million bucks by blowing is knee in the bowl game on an 8-4 season.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm drafting, I question a players loyalty and resolve ... you can always insure against injury.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will be the cut-off point?

Right now, they're sitting out a bowl game.

Do they move that back to when their team is eliminated from
a possible selection into the CFP, they, then leave the team.

What about their entire senior year?

Why doesn't the NFL just draft them out of High School and
play in a developmental league?

I know the NFL doesn't want to spend that money but CFB/NCAA
could force that upon them.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deebo Samuel is sitting out the Belk Bowl, I got no problem with that. He's been an electrifying player, produced a lot of highlights here. We're not playing in the SECCG, no need for him to take the risk and miss training for the combine by going to practice. Hope dude gets paid.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm drafting, I question a players loyalty and resolve ... you can always insure against injury.
Loyalty, college scholarships are year to year deals. Coaches also pull offers off the table when a better recruit comes along. If you are drafting and loyalty is a major criteria you would never draft underclassmen, or would you?

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State's entire team decided to skip a bowl this year.
Dadgumit. Now they're not going to get their bag of swag.

(did I do the they're and their thingiie right?)

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look in recent times where a meaningless bowl game cost players MILLIONS: Jaylon Smith(he's having an incredible year though so he's gonna get PAID soon) and Jake Butt
Smith already had a sizable insurance policy that paid out because of his draft fall. He made out ok.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point, they have to consider the interest of their future. A meaningless bowl game isn't worth losing potential millions.

In today's bowl saturated world, most teams just want a bowl game for the extra practices.
This ^^ I don't like it, but I get the economics. I think sitting out the CFP or a top tier bowl is another story though