• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State or Michigan? Which team is more likely to end Ohio State's Big Ten East dominance?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic would tell you that if you can only get decent results from an experienced QB, then you're likely going to get even less from an inexperienced QB. That's my point, and it's valid. I'll take that avy bet. One week?

Not beyond lucky. For starters, that missed FG was from 58 yards out. That's not unlucky, it's common. Secondly, one of those series where michigan had turnover on downs ended at the PSU 36. Not a lock they were scoring points obviously. That also doesn't make PSU lucky, it makes them good. Holding a team to fewer than 10 yards on 4 plays is the sign of a strong defense, and that's what they are.

If PSU-IU is a shitty game, then so is Cal-USC or Cal-ASU. I've never said PSU is a lock to beat michigan at all, I've said I think it's going to happen. I also think they're going to beat Indiana, but neither is a lock. Again, this was never about "pimping" the PSU-IU game. It was about showing that there are several games that are likely going to be more nationally relevant that deserve to be on this list. That's been my point.

4th was just alright. It was just my wife and I. My neighbor came over for a little bit to have a few beers and pick up some bags of topsoil from me, but that was about it. We did have a drunken water gun fight in the backyard with the dog that was entertaining, at least. There were fireworks but not from the city unfortunately. We could see some of them through the trees in the neighborhood. How about you?

There’s zero reason to believe the QBs he has had in this system for more then a year are worse then the transfers he had coming in.

@ericd7633 please hold a one week avy bet, I have Michigan over wisonsin and PSU. Even is Michigan splits I lose and ATF picks my avy for a week.

There was like 20 seconds left in the half when the kick was missed. Harbaugh May have went for it had there been more time. Next a turnover on downs in obvious field goal territory is still a missed points opportunity. PSU has a long touchdown pass too. Their offense wasn’t good it was lucky. Their D along with Michigan incompetence bailed them out. (There was zero reason UM should not gah ever scored that last series.)

There is zero reason to believe PSU/Indiana will nationally relevant this year. PSU is going to crush them.

4th was good, We had a wedding to attend for one of my coworkers. It was on a ridge that looked out. We were able to see no lie 7 different townships fireworks. It was actually pretty cool.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s zero reason to believe the QBs he has had in this system for more then a year are worse then the transfers he had coming in.

@ericd7633 please hold a one week avy bet, I have Michigan over wisonsin and PSU. Even is Michigan splits I lose and ATF picks my avy for a week.

There was like 20 seconds left in the half when the kick was missed. Harbaugh May have went for it had there been more time. Next a turnover on downs in obvious field goal territory is still a missed points opportunity. PSU has a long touchdown pass too. Their offense wasn’t good it was lucky. Their D along with Michigan incompetence bailed them out. (There was zero reason UM should not gah ever scored that last series.)

There is zero reason to believe PSU/Indiana will nationally relevant this year. PSU is going to crush them.

4th was good, We had a wedding to attend for one of my coworkers. It was on a ridge that looked out. We were able to see no lie 7 different townships fireworks. It was actually pretty cool.

I don't get the Indiana love. I know they were better than usual last year but look at who they beat:

Ball State 5-7
Eastern Illinois FCS
UConn 2-10
Rutgers 2-10
Maryland 3-9
Nebraska 5-7
Northwestern 3-9
Purdue 4-8

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Indiana love. I know they were better than usual last year but look at who they beat:

Ball State 5-7
Eastern Illinois FCS
UConn 2-10
Rutgers 2-10
Maryland 3-9
Nebraska 5-7
Northwestern 3-9
Purdue 4-8

I love ATF, he is a good dude. But his bias pumping them up is because they are in the B1G thus making tOSU look better.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If @Across The Field wants to take you up on it that's fine by me.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ball State 5-7
Eastern Illinois FCS
UConn 2-10
Rutgers 2-10
Maryland 3-9
Nebraska 5-7
Northwestern 3-9
Purdue 4-8

Yeah, pretty much. They were good for Indiana standards, but overall were much worse than Michigan.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to go with PSU, they clearly are on the right path to do it. Just need to catch OSU in a weak or down year......... scUM won't happen for a while.....

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ball State 5-7
Eastern Illinois FCS
UConn 2-10
Rutgers 2-10
Maryland 3-9
Nebraska 5-7
Northwestern 3-9
Purdue 4-8

I love ATF, he is a good dude. But his bias pumping them up is because they are in the B1G thus making tOSU look better.
For the 100th time, none of this was about "pumping up Indiana". It was about showing that there are better, more relevant games than Cal vs. anybody in terms of the national landscape. I'm not saying Indiana is some great program, but they were better than Cal last year and they are among the nation's leaders in returning starters for 2020, and obviously PSU is going to be better than USC or ASU this year, so logic would say that PSU vs. Indiana would be a better game to be on a top 20 list than Cal-USC or Cal-ASU. Also, anyone saying Cal-USC is a "rivalry" is ridiculous. They've played a lot of times but so have other schools. I've never once in my history of talking to sports fans ever heard Cal-USC be brought up as a rivalry before this thread.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the 100th time, none of this was about "pumping up Indiana". It was about showing that there are better, more relevant games than Cal vs. anybody in terms of the national landscape. I'm not saying Indiana is some great program, but they were better than Cal last year and they are among the nation's leaders in returning starters for 2020, and obviously PSU is going to be better than USC or ASU this year, so logic would say that PSU vs. Indiana would be a better game to be on a top 20 list than Cal-USC or Cal-ASU. Also, anyone saying Cal-USC is a "rivalry" is ridiculous. They've played a lot of times but so have other schools. I've never once in my history of talking to sports fans ever heard Cal-USC be brought up as a rivalry before this thread.

What exactly shows Indiana is better than Cal?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly shows Indiana is better than Cal?

Yeah, I'd take Cal last year. Especially a healthy Cal team. At least Cal managed to beat teams that made it to a bowl game. IU didn't beat any.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to go with PSU, they clearly are on the right path to do it. Just need to catch OSU in a weak or down year......... scUM won't happen for a while.....
Agreed, as much as I dislike James Franklin, he has done a better coaching/recruiting job than Harbaugh. Michigan just doesn't get the same level of player they got last century.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd take Cal last year. Especially a healthy Cal team. At least Cal managed to beat teams that made it to a bowl game. IU didn't beat any.

Cal had wins over:

UC Davis (FCS)
Washington 8-5
North Texas 4-8
Ole Miss 4-8
Washington State 6-7
Stanford 4-8
UCLA 4-8
Illinois 6-7

Not much better than Indiana but like you said, they had to do a lot of it without their starting QB.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, both Sagarin and ESPN efficiency metrics had Indiana over Cal. So, either you switch your position or stop quoting both of them to back up any other arguments. Also, Cal was missing their QB for some of their games. IU was more banged up.

Also, it's funny that you run down Penix for only playing crappy teams yet say Cal's starter was so good even though he played like crap against any decent teams he faced and only played well against awful defenses.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, both Sagarin and ESPN efficiency metrics had Indiana over Cal. So, either you switch your position or stop quoting both of them to back up any other arguments. Also, Cal was missing their QB for some of their games. IU was more banged up.

Also, it's funny that you run down Penix for only playing crappy teams yet say Cal's starter was so good even though he played like crap against any decent teams he faced and only played well against awful defenses.

They won at Washington when he was healthy. That’s a far better than win than anything Indiana got

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won at Washington when he was healthy. That’s a far better than win than anything Indiana got
He also played like crap against Washington. That was the only decent defense he faced. Congrats to Cal for beating a decent Washington team, but they still finished lower than Indiana in Sagarin and ESPN efficiency rankings.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah and like I said before, Cal played 5 games with their backup QB, who was atrocious. That definitely has an effect on their efficiency and Sagarin ratings. And it was a 2 spot difference in Sagarin.

Penix played better than Garbers did last year. But Ramsey played SIGNIFICANTLY better than Cal's backup did. Hell Ramsey was better than Garbers was. Cal was so bad with their backup and despite that were basically even in Sagarin. Plus IU didn't beat anybody with a winning record/made a bowl, Cal beat 3 such teams.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also played like crap against Washington. That was the only decent defense he faced. Congrats to Cal for beating a decent Washington team, but they still finished lower than Indiana in Sagarin and ESPN efficiency rankings.

He played a very tough defense in the rain and still got a win. The only reason they finished behind Indiana in the computer rankings was because their offensive statistics bombed when they had to bring in their backup QB. IU feasted on beating a lot of bad teams. If they played Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin instead of Purdue, Northwestern and Nebraska, they probably aren't even a bowl team.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indiana will win 7 games because their schedule is mostly dogshit. (It’s how WVU is getting to 6 wins) Indiana is not relevant nor will they be within 3 scores of PSU.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and like I said before, Cal played 5 games with their backup QB, who was atrocious. That definitely has an effect on their efficiency and Sagarin ratings. And it was a 2 spot difference in Sagarin.

Penix played better than Garbers did last year. But Ramsey played SIGNIFICANTLY better than Cal's backup did. Hell Ramsey was better than Garbers was. Cal was so bad with their backup and despite that were basically even in Sagarin. Plus IU didn't beat anybody with a winning record/made a bowl, Cal beat 3 such teams.
They also won multiple games in spite of Garbers. He was absolute trash against North Texas and Washington, and he was barely decent against UCD and UCLA. Those were 4 wins the team won with Garbers playing overall pretty poorly. He also didn't even play much or at all against the better teams on their schedule, which has been your knock on Penix. Knife cuts both ways.