• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots mysteriously good at not fumbling. Now we know why

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, well, another conspiracy theory bites the dust.
Come on...i find it hard to believe anyone seriously felt the NE fumble ratio and deflategate were related...I think it's only Pat fans that have even thought about it from what I read here.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on...i find it hard to believe anyone seriously felt the NE fumble ratio and deflategate were related...I think it's only Pat fans that have even thought about it from what I read here.

Where were you when this story broke? That was one of the first "conclusions" made by ESPN(on behalf of the NFL)--balls with less pressure are harder to fumble; giving the Pats an advantage. I remember reading this 1000x back then.

I also remember reading that deflated balls were the only reason Brady was good, so take what you want from this whole BS fiasco.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been hiding under a rock I presume?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone have the stat for fumbles as a percentage of carries? That would be interesting.

Actually scratch the above, which is a dumb statement. You would need to include all offensive plays, kick returns, etc. As someone noted, fumbles can occur after the catch, every time a QB gets the ball snapped, returns, essentially every play a player moves with the ball.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been hiding under a rock I presume?
i didn't say no one SAID it...just think people probably said it to get a rise out of pats fans and guess what...

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't say no one SAID it...just think people probably said it to get a rise out of pats fans and guess what...

I know you don't wear a tin-foil hat, but some imaginative people were actually serious about dat chit.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="cezero, post: 7493715, member: 5005]
anyway, i think the whole ordeal was absurd, but the two polemics i see on here ("the patriots are evil" and "the patriots did nothing wrong") are also absurd.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has come up with a sensible theory of how the Patriots could have done something wrong in the matter of PSI.

This does not, of course, exonerate them from unrelated accusations, such as injury report inaccuracies, or being above average in some seasons at getting away with pass interference.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone have the stat for fumbles as a percentage of carries? That would be interesting.

There have been almost no fumbles on running plays. I think Brady fumbled at least twice, and that at least one of Lewis' two fumbles was on a pass reception, so there only were one or two fumbles so far this season on actual running plays.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never underestimate the magnitude of human stupidity.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny is (and forgive me if somebody already brought this up) before the season I heard plenty about how if the Pats started fumbling a bunch this year it didn't mean anything because you have to look at their fumbling rate over a long period of time as is done in the Sharp analysis. It only meant something if they continued to fumble more over a period of several years. Yet here we are, 7 games into the season, and all those same people are screaming "I told you so!". Don't we need to see if this trend holds up for 7 years before we jump to any conclusions? That's what I was told was necessary.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny is (and forgive me if somebody already brought this up) before the season I heard plenty about how if the Pats started fumbling a bunch this year it didn't mean anything because you have to look at their fumbling rate over a long period of time as is done in the Sharp analysis. It only meant something if they continued to fumble more over a period of several years. Yet here we are, 7 games into the season, and all those same people are screaming "I told you so!". Don't we need to see if this trend holds up for 7 years before we jump to any conclusions? That's what I was told was necessary.

Who said that?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course some people believed it.. Absolutely, Positively. Particularly for bad weather games... Which the Indy game was btw. There's a segment out there that will believe anything negative about the Patriots.

How many people thought the Patriots were fooling around with Pittsburgh's head phones?
Start there.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course some people believed it.. Absolutely, Positively. Particularly for bad weather games... Which the Indy game was btw. There's a segment out there that will believe anything negative about the Patriots.

How many people thought the Patriots were fooling around with Pittsburgh's head phones?
Start there.

you believe it's just a giant coincidence in the timing of when they went in and out?

part of the pats fumbling success in prior years was because they had law firm who hadn't fumbled since like HS or something outrageous like that.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady* just tossed another 3 yard slant, turned 58 yard TD to Gronk