• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Old story but is it still relevant? That fumble stat of the Pats dating back to 2007.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deflate-gate triggers stat spat as analysts attempt to solve why Patriots don't fumble

PHOENIX – Maybe the smoking gun isn’t in a bathroom at Gillette Stadium. Maybe it’s in the laptop of a civil engineer in Washington, D.C.

One of the strangest twists in the already strange saga of deflate-gate is the sudden star turn of a man who runs a gambling website when he’s not doing his day job. Warren Sharp is a 36-year-old dad who loves numbers and algorithms, and decided to apply some statistics to the Patriots when he heard about the football deflation investigation. What he found sent ripples through the sports world and got a few other statisticians pretty upset.

It also may have implications beyond Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

Sharp’s idea was to look at fumbles. That led him to a more refined topic: how well the Patriots held onto the ball both before and after the 2006 season, which happened to be the year Brady and Peyton Manning pushed for a rule change which allowed each team to provide their own footballs for games.

“Something significant changed from 2006 to 2007 that allowed them to retain the football,” Sharp said by phone Tuesday, “and that continues today.”

According to Sharp’s calculations, the Patriots’ fumble rate was 42 touches per fumble from 2000 through 2006. That was about the league average. Since 2007, however, that rate has dropped dramatically, to 74 touches per fumble. Over that time, the Pats are the best team in the NFL at holding onto the ball, even including dome teams.

“Based upon the data we’ve collected and the probabilities, it definitely is extremely unlikely that their ability to hold onto the football would change so much and be as far away from the rest of the NFL,” Sharp said. “It’s extremely unlikely.”

Deflate-gate triggers stat spat as analysts attempt to solve why Patriots don't fumble - Yahoo Sports
---------------------------------------------

I do remember Jerome Bettis making a comment, when asked on how a deflated football could help him. He commented that it would be harder to strip the ball from him if it was deflated. I mean, logic would say to anyone that a someone could grip the football better.

Also, on a side note. Benjarvus Green Ellis in 4 seasons with the Pats (during this time period) he fumbled the ball exactly ZERO TIMES. In two seasons with the Bengals, he fumbled the ball 5 times.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the homers are going to argue BB teaches ball security. Not their fault BGE didn't take it with him.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the homers are going to argue BB teaches ball security. Not their fault BGE didn't take it with him.

And apparently he just started to teach that ball security in 2007.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this has been going on for 8 years you would think someone would have noticed it before now.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this has been going on for 8 years you would think someone would have noticed it before now.

You would think. Maybe, it was just a remarkable coincidence, and perhaps BB is such a great coach (who farts gold dust) that under his great one of a kind instruction, they just fumbled so much less than any other team.

I mean how could it not be the greatness of Bill Belichick. Do you have any idea how great he is?

Maybe Benjarvus just started to fumble cause he played in such a shitty organization like the Bengals. Well, that would have to be it. It would have to be.

It would just have to be.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty hard to explain why they are such a huge statistical outlier. Teaching ball security isn't going to separate you that much from the other teams that also teach it.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think. Maybe, it was just a remarkable coincidence, and perhaps BB is such a great coach (who farts gold dust) that under his great one of a kind instruction, they just fumbled so much less than any other team.

I mean how could it not be the greatness of Bill Belichick. Do you have any idea how great he is?

Maybe Benjarvus just started to fumble cause he played in such a shitty organization like the Bengals. Well, that would have to be it. It would have to be.

It would just have to be.

And if they are the best in the league at protecting the football next year?

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, let me see......

CB-Main.gif

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, obviously they will be the best at it. I mean Belichick is the coach again right? He is so great. That, is obviously the reason. No other team in the league and no other coach that ever existed before Belichick ever taught how to not fumble as well as the great Belichick.

Happy?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest proof of cheating by the Pats raises all sorts of legitimate concerns about further deceit.

How is it that the OL never gets called for offensive holding? You're not allowed to touch Tom Brady. How can that be?! :mad2:

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, obviously they will be the best at it. I mean Belichick is the coach again right? He is so great. That, is obviously the reason. No other team in the league and no other coach that ever existed before Belichick ever taught how to not fumble as well as the great Belichick.

Happy?

All that I was asking was would you change your tune if they are again the best in the league with fumbles.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest proof of cheating by the Pats raises all sorts of legitimate concerns about further deceit.

How is it that the OL never gets called for offensive holding? You're not allowed to touch Tom Brady. How can that be?! :mad2:

LOL, so the Patriots are cheating because the REFS don't call holding on them? Because the REFS won't let you touch Tom Brady?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that I was asking was would you change your tune if they are again the best in the league with fumbles.
Did you see those charts? It wasn't just that they were the best -- they were statistically not remotely like any of the other teams in the league. Almost like they were playing with a different football.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I said this before, but slightly under-inflated footballs make it easier to hold onto the ball. Whether that is as a receiver or as a ball carrier, it makes a difference.

I played WR through from grade school through JUCO. Catching an under-inflated ball makes single-handed grabs & throws from cannon armed QBs easier. When carrying an under-inflated ball, you can put more pressure on the ball, thus giving you a better grip.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been beating the Patriots this week, but a simple comparison with Green Bay (Rodgers likes HARD balls) is only a difference of 3 in 2014.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, so the Patriots are cheating because the REFS don't call holding on them? Because the REFS won't let you touch Tom Brady?

Thank you for admitting it!!! :clap: Never met a Brady goober yet who will.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(G, Comp %, TD %. INT %, YPA, YPG, Rating, fumbles)
2000-2006 110, 61.7%, 4.7%, 2.5%, 7.0, 225.3, 88.1, 65
2007-2014 128, 64.7%, 5.9%, 1.7%, 7.6, 279.9, 100.2, 39

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Sharp’s calculations, the Patriots’ fumble rate was 42 touches per fumble from 2000 through 2006. That was about the league average. Since 2007, however, that rate has dropped dramatically, to 74 touches per fumble. Over that time, the Pats are the best team in the NFL at holding onto the ball, even including dome teams.

Seems to me that that is some pretty strong evidence that NE has systematically cheated for the past eight years. I never got too excited about Spy Gate or any of the other stuff that NE has been accused of, but for their fumble rate to have dropped so dramatically over so long a period, immediately following the procedural change that allows them to deflate footballs, is difficult to chalk up to mere coincidence.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been beating the Patriots this week, but a simple comparison with Green Bay (Rodgers likes HARD balls) is only a difference of 3 in 2014.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but I have Green Bay fumbling the ball 27 times (including playoffs) in 18 games, or once every 44.3 snaps (offensive plays + PR/KRs) in 2014. New England fumbled 19 times in 19 games (including playoffs), or once every 72.5 snaps.

Actually, sine Aaron Rodgers became the starter in Green Bay, the Patriots have fumbled less (98 to 118), on more snaps (7032 to 6612)* for a much higher rate (71.8 to 56.0). Actually, Green Bay never had a single season as high as 71.8 (70.1 in 2012 was Green Bay's only year over 60). The only thing that Green Bay has done better than New England in has been that Brady has fumbled 31 times to Rodgers' 12, otherwise it's all leaning toward NE.

*these numbers are regular season only.