• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Washington Post: Why Roger Goodell might be in tough spot on Tom Brady suspension

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
footnote: the washington post is located in boston.

Why Roger Goodell might be in tough spot on Tom Brady suspension - The Washington Post

Why Roger Goodell might be in tough spot on Tom Brady suspension

Tom Brady is said to be seeking total exoneration, and it appears he’s entitled to it. The idea that Brady and the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs for a competitive advantage has been discredited by everyone from sidewalk chemists to Web physicists to unlicensed ceramicists, not to mention your own common sense. But most importantly, it is utterly shredded in a new scientific analysis by the American Enterprise Institute, which shows the only inflation problem is in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s head.

The NFL paid millions for a fundamentally flawed report by lawyer Ted Wells that made Brady and the Patriots out to be slam-dunk guilty, based on more than 100 pages of mathematical analysis of ball pressurization . . . that turns out to be erroneous. The AEI’s report totally rejects the finding that the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC championship game had a significant drop in air pressure compared with those used by the Colts. But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.
Basically, the math didn’t add up. It’s a standard principle in science: If you can’t replicate a set of results, then there is a problem with it. A flaw or a fraud is at work. Either you made a mistake, or you made it up.

When the AEI analysts looked more closely at how such a mistake could have been made, what they found “astonished” them, says the report’s co-author Stan Veuger. The Wells report “relies on an unorthodox statistical procedure at odds with the methodology the report describes.” Translation: The Wells report said it would use one equation but then used a different (and weird) equation to arrive at its numbers.

“It was really clumsy,” Veuger says. “It’s the kind of mistake you’d see in freshman statistics class.”

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"oh, another homer piece from not boston"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discuss

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian_Williams_2011_Shankbone.JPG

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the AEI analysts looked more closely at how such a mistake could have been made, what they found “astonished” them, says the report’s co-author Stan Veuger. The Wells report “relies on an unorthodox statistical procedure at odds with the methodology the report describes.” Translation: The Wells report said it would use one equation but then used a different (and weird) equation to arrive at its numbers.

“It was really clumsy,” Veuger says. “It’s the kind of mistake you’d see in freshman statistics class.”

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The obsession never ends :lol:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The obsession never ends :lol:
when his suspension is lifted, will you have the same attitude?

PS thanks for the bump.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Sure I will. When...the suspension's.....:rolleyes2::duck::happyshake:.....lifted

Even Brady himself is embarrassed at the homers trying to cover his ass :facepalm3:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Sure I will. When...the suspension's.....:rolleyes2::duck::happyshake:.....lifted

Even Brady himself is embarrassed at the homers trying to cover his ass :facepalm3:
ok, i saved this page and will haunt you over it.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont tase, I mean dont haunt me, bro

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Steeler fan praying that the suspension does not get overturned. Brady sitting out is Pittsburgh's only chance in game 1.

Who on the Patriots is going to cover the Pittsburgh wr's?

Revis?

Pitt wins by 13 Brady playing or not.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Revis?

Mommy drop some acid in your Fruit Loops this morning? Brady owns the Steelers, simple as that.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mommy drop some acid in your Fruit Loops this morning? Brady owns the Steelers, simple as that.

RIF..Reading is fundamental.

Bradys not playing so forget that. Secondly, you dont have a player on your team that can cover Antonio Brown much less Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant.... torched. Thats whats going to happen to NE first game and if Brady plays look for a strong front 7 from the Steelers to hassle the aging Brady.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIF..Reading is fundamental.

Bradys not playing so forget that. Secondly, you dont have a player on your team that can cover Antonio Brown much less Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant.... torched. Thats whats going to happen to NE first game and if Brady plays look for a strong front 7 from the Steelers to hassle the aging Brady.
he might play if it gets overturned.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like what I'm reading but not sure how it will go.
Even a screw up like Godell could be dangerous when backed into a corner like a wounded weasel that he is.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting part of the entire discussion is that I really don't think you get this huge advantage that people are portraying by playing with under-inflated Footballs and it really isn't a big deal on the field IMO. The problem is that they purposely did it (intent) and then tried to cover it up. I think that is why a portion of the suspension will stand even if it is reduced. 4 games was way too much from the beginning and adding a 1st round draft pick was nuts. But, when you keep denying and don't own up to what you did or show any accountability at all you deserve to be punished.

I think the Pats should have appealed the draft picks too. To me one game for Brady and a 3rd rounder would be a more fair punishment. If they came out right away and made some BS excuse about not realizing it was wrong, but at least owned up and apologized I'd say $100K fine would have been enough for TB.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting part of the entire discussion is that I really don't think you get this huge advantage that people are portraying by playing with under-inflated Footballs and it really isn't a big deal on the field IMO. The problem is that they purposely did it (intent) and then tried to cover it up. I think that is why a portion of the suspension will stand even if it is reduced. 4 games was way too much from the beginning and adding a 1st round draft pick was nuts. But, when you keep denying and don't own up to what you did or show any accountability at all you deserve to be punished.

I think the Pats should have appealed the draft picks too. To me one game for Brady and a 3rd rounder would be a more fair punishment. If they came out right away and made some BS excuse about not realizing it was wrong, but at least owned up and apologized I'd say $100K fine would have been enough for TB.

It's much easier to catch those 5 yard slants and certainly explains the lack of fumbling. It hampers deep throws, but what the hell does Brady care about that?

As far as the severity goes...how much less can it be before it's not a deterrent at all?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Revis?

Last time Brady played , over 50 points was hung on them, most point sever scored against them at home. Brady plays NE by 14, Brady doesnt play which is most likely, pickem in my eyes