• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Passes for 4900 yards and now he is a free agent

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw Lynch briefly this year. I was less than impressed. But I won't draw any conclusions from that.

As a knowledgeable Bronco fan, what's your feeling on the kid?

Well 2 November's ago I was sitting in an airport in Vegas with a delayed flight and just spent a couple of hours watching every single game this kid played in for college. I posted back then that the Broncos if given the chance should do whatever it takes to get this kid. So yes I really like him a lot.

Having said that he also showed this year why so many scouts thought he was a year or two project type QB. The system he played in for college really did not set him up well for the NFL. So this year was pretty much the Broncos having to hit the reset button a bit on this kid teaching him how to play from under center, teaching him fundamental footwork, teaching him an actual NFL playbook, teaching him how to read a defense. Things that take time. And it showed this year when he played that he was just thinking way too much on the field. His best game honestly was when he was asked to come in for Siemian who got hurt in the 1st quarter of a game. He didn't have time to think and they simplified things for him and he just went nuts throwing it all over the field.

So a new coach coming in I do think would have to simplify things just a bit as Lynch even with a year under his belt will be still pretty raw as a prospect. If they can work with him this off season though and develop him a bit and play to his strengths they could have a very good weapon on their hands. His athleticism is off the charts. He has one of the biggest arms I have ever seen. Just have to see how the rest of it catches up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can pay a $19.6mil dead hit for Romo not to play for the Cowboys, or you can pay $25.5mil for him to sit on the bench and not to play for the Cowboys - which makes more sense? And don't forget, Dallas is already $2+mil over next years projected salary cap with only 41 players signed.

Well, consider the fate of the Oakland Raiders this postseason, and the results of Dallas' game this weekend. Would you rather have Romo as your backup, or Sanchez or some other cast-off? Romo is easily worth that extra $5-6M. If they can find a trade partner, then sure he could be moved. I don't see him being cut loose though, it just doesn't make sense.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing you miss comparing Bradford and Romo:

1) Vikings overpaid for Bradford in my opinion.
2) Romo is near the end of his career. At least with Bradford your get first chance to overpay for him. Romo is done in 2 years. 1st or 2nd for a QB done in 2 years is too much.

Ugh, the concept of tagging Bradford just made me throw up in my mouth.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) You're assuming Romo is done. None of that has been decided yet. Romo seems to think he has gas left in the tank. I'm pretty confident a team will pay to find out.

I am not assuming. Romo is 37 by start of 2017 season. You are not getting another 5-10 years out of him. More likely you are getting 2, maybe 3 years. Not worth spending the draft ammo on for 2-3 years.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, consider the fate of the Oakland Raiders this postseason, and the results of Dallas' game this weekend. Would you rather have Romo as your backup, or Sanchez or some other cast-off? Romo is easily worth that extra $5-6M. If they can find a trade partner, then sure he could be moved. I don't see him being cut loose though, it just doesn't make sense.
thing is trade dont help much either cause they still have the 19.6 mil cap hit It will take alot for someone to get Romo:suds:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not assuming. Romo is 37 by start of 2017 season. You are not getting another 5-10 years out of him. More likely you are getting 2, maybe 3 years. Not worth spending the draft ammo on for 2-3 years.

All Dallas needs is a team to buy into the idea that Romo can play another 2 or 3 years. Romo has a reasonable contract in that time period. Look what 2 years of Sam Bradford cost...

5-10 years from now is not what we are talking about.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dallas literally can not afford to have Romo as a backup at his current 2017 cap number. Dallas would almost certainly have to restructure 2 or 3 of T.Smith, T.Frederick, D.Bryant, and T.Crawford to fit Romo in at his current cap number AND fill out the rest of the roster in 2017. Keeping Romo around for one more season is not worth the salary cap hell that would follow.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can forget about Dallas getting a 2nd round pick in return for Romo...not happening. He's going to be 37 and has missed the last season and 3/4's or so. The Jets paid that for Favre, but his durability was other worldly compared to Romo. It's not really comparable other than age. My guess is Dallas will ask for a 2nd and will probably get a 3rd or 4th round pick. If I was the GM of another team, that recent injury history would make me think long and hard about giving up a 3rd round pick...it would have to be at the very end of the 3rd at most.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas literally can not afford to have Romo as a backup at his current 2017 cap number. Dallas would almost certainly have to restructure 2 or 3 of T.Smith, T.Frederick, D.Bryant, and T.Crawford to fit Romo in at his current cap number AND fill out the rest of the roster in 2017. Keeping Romo around for one more season is not worth the salary cap hell that would follow.
Uh his cap number is only 5 mil more than if we keep him. Let's say we cut romo and save 5 million. We still need a backup qb. Last week showed how shitty sanchez is. Good luck finding a cheap backup qb as good as romo for 5 mil.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh his cap number is only 5 mil more than if we keep him. Let's say we cut romo and save 5 million. We still need a backup qb. Last week showed how shitty sanchez is. Good luck finding a cheap backup qb as good as romo for 5 mil.

Dallas can't afford it. Plain and simple. With Romo on the roster at his current cap number the Cowboys are already about $2mil over the projected cap in 2017 with only 41 players signed. Unless Romo takes a substantial pay cut, I just can't see how he will fit on the roster without mortgaging the future restructuring other contracts.

I think a Kellen Moore type is going to be the backup QB for Dallas next year.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can forget about Dallas getting a 2nd round pick in return for Romo...not happening. He's going to be 37 and has missed the last season and 3/4's or so. The Jets paid that for Favre, but his durability was other worldly compared to Romo. It's not really comparable other than age. My guess is Dallas will ask for a 2nd and will probably get a 3rd or 4th round pick. If I was the GM of another team, that recent injury history would make me think long and hard about giving up a 3rd round pick...it would have to be at the very end of the 3rd at most.

We will see. Should be interesting, although may take some time to develop.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would have to be as a trade though, as cutting him only saves $6M and you still need to sign a backup QB. Such a trade could be difficult to find, as not many teams are holding that kind of cap space for a QB with his injury history and age.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have to be as a trade though, as cutting him only saves $6M and you still need to sign a backup QB. Such a trade could be difficult to find, as not many teams are holding that kind of cap space for a QB with his injury history and age.

Trading Romo will have the same salary cap ramifications as releasing him for the Cowboys. $19.6mil in dead money if traded or released before 6/1/17, $10.8mil in 2017 & $8.8mil in 2018 if traded or released after 6/1/17. Any team that potentially trades for Romo will only have to pay him $14mil in 2017.

My suspicion is Dallas will look to Kellen Moore to be back up QB next year. He was in line to start this year for Dallas before breaking his ankle. Can be signed for around a million or less.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has there ever, in the history of the NFL, been a free agent QB coming off of a season in which he passed for 4900 yards?

Will the Redskins pay him?
Who are the frontrunners for him if the Redskins let him walk? Who has the cap space to sign him?
How much will he make?

This is a slightly humiliating thread as a Redskins fan. However, until I read of Dan Synder's untimely death....this organization will do the dumbest things possible.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I could see is a team willing to trade like a 4th round conditional pick. Say he plays all 16 games then it jumps to a 2nd. If they win the Super Bowl then it goes to a 1st. So protects the team trading for him a bit and gives the Cowboys a shot at a nice return in draft compensation.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The yards are nice but the most impressive stat was QBR and he was 5th in the NFL in QBR behind Ryan, Brady, Dak and Rodgers.

Last year he might have settled for a 4 year contract for 20 mil a year. Now it's looking like a 5 year contract worth 25+ mil a year and 50+ mil guaranteed. DAMN

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Romo will have the same salary cap ramifications as releasing him for the Cowboys. $19.6mil in dead money if traded or released before 6/1/17, $10.8mil in 2017 & $8.8mil in 2018 if traded or released after 6/1/17. Any team that potentially trades for Romo will only have to pay him $14mil in 2017.

My suspicion is Dallas will look to Kellen Moore to be back up QB next year. He was in line to start this year for Dallas before breaking his ankle. Can be signed for around a million or less.

So, in other words there is little financial benefit to dumping Romo, especially if they want a better back-up QB than Moore. Even Sanchez got $2M, so you may be a little light on Moore's value. If he's that cheap, is he good enough for a supposed championship contender?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The yards are nice but the most impressive stat was QBR and he was 5th in the NFL in QBR behind Ryan, Brady, Dak and Rodgers.

Last year he might have settled for a 4 year contract for 20 mil a year. Now it's looking like a 5 year contract worth 25+ mil a year and 50+ mil guaranteed. DAMN

That sounds about rt & I think this is where things ultimately settle, but it might take a while. In the meantime you are going to hear real & perceived posturing from both sides as well as all types of BS speculation from media members who are not even remotely close to the situation. It amuses me to hear this type of speculation from clowns like Bayless, Stephen A Smith & others - these morons don't know the first thing about football yet alone negotiations.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Dallas needs is a team to buy into the idea that Romo can play another 2 or 3 years. Romo has a reasonable contract in that time period. Look what 2 years of Sam Bradford cost...

5-10 years from now is not what we are talking about.

We are if you are talking a high draft pick in a trade. That is the point I am trying to make. Romo is too old for a high draft pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has gotten seriously hurt in 3 of his last 5 starts. Are teams really going to bet on him with a day 2 draft pick?