• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Passes for 4900 yards and now he is a free agent

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Steelers fan, that individual is NEVER mentioned by name. He is referred to as either:
"The Anti-Christ"
or
"Him we do no speak of"

It's one thing to lose a Super Bowl. It's another to lose it like he did. Especially against the cowboys.

What about Bubby Brister?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins would be dumb to not re-sign him to a long contract.

Browns would jump at it if they had a shot at signing him.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I have looked at his contract plenty. You are right compared to many NFL QB's these days it is a pretty team friendly deal. Here is why I don't want to see the Broncos trade for Tony Romo...

1) While I don't think he fetches as much as you think he will he will still cost the team a decent draft pick. You have to remember that Bradford is still actually under 30 years old. So a team could see if he can stay healthy him being the QB for the next 4-5 years (length of a 1st round pick contract). With Romo teams are hoping for maybe 1 healthy season (that is closer to 5th round or later value. Still for me I would rather see my team build through the draft and see what these young QB's can do.

2) At least for me I would rather spend that $14 million towards the OL. Cowboys are a great example of having a young QB behind a great OL and just how beneficial that can be.

The problem with this line of thinking is Bradford at the time of trade was only under contract for two years. If the Vikings want to control Bradford for 3 years they can franchise him for 1 year - a second franchise would not be feasible. So at best the Vikings traded a 1st and 4th for 3 years of control of Bradford at a reasonable yearly rate - anything beyond 3 years and the Vikings are competing with everyone else for his services. Bradford at the time of trade had nearly as many injury questions as Romo does now. Those that think 3 years of control of Romo at a team friendly rate is coming cheap (mid-late round draft pick) are sadly mistaken. While Bradford is younger, Romo (when healthy) is head and shoulders above Bradford as a QB.

Again, a team has to believe Romo is healthy. But hey, if a team is willing to pay a 1st and 4th for Bradford prior to this season, then I guess anything is possible.

Regarding the Dallas Oline - reminds me of a saying in the car world: "Built, not bought".

Last edited:

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Bubby Brister?

We talk about Bubby. He wasn't a terrible QB, but wasn't a good one either. At least he was a competitor, and he never lost a Super Bowl. Never won one either. Mid/Late 80s were some dark days for Steeler fans.

He was also a likable character and we don't talk bad about him other than he wasn't a good QB.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought kessler did pretty good for you guys? You jumping off that ship already?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is not worth the money that was reported he would get. Hasn't won anything and choked in the final games and we missed the playoffs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this line of thinking is Bradford at the time of trade was only under contract for two years. If the Vikings want to control Bradford for 3 years they can franchise him for 1 year - a second franchise would not be feasible. So at best the Vikings traded a 1st and 4th for 3 years of control of Bradford at a reasonable yearly rate - anything beyond 3 years and the Vikings are competing with everyone else for his services. Bradford at the time of trade had nearly as many injury questions as Romo does now. Those that think 3 years of control of Romo at a team friendly rate is coming cheap (mid-late round draft pick) are sadly mistaken. While Bradford is younger, Romo (when healthy) is head and shoulders above Bradford as a QB.

Again, a team has to believe Romo is healthy. But hey, if a team is willing to pay a 1st and 4th for Bradford prior to this season, then I guess anything is possible.

Regarding the Dallas Oline - reminds me of a saying in the car world: "Built, not bought".
I wouldn’t say he had as many injury concerns as that of Romo. At least Bradford last year played almost the entire season for the Eagles. I think he missed 2 games with injury but that is much better than now Romo who has missed almost 2 entire seasons because of injuries. And again 29 years old compared to a 37 year old Romo next season.

I would also look at the injuries they suffered. Over the last few seasons it was a left shoulder injury, concussion, and ACL for Bradford. Not great but all of those players have come back from and done very well.

Romo has now had 2 back surgeries in just the last few years. NFL players have talked in the past that when the back goes so does their game. Then of course the broken collarbone that he came back from to only break it again just 2 games later.

I would say that Romo’s injuries are far more scary than that of Bradford and again with the age thing of just how well the body can hold up.

Maybe some team does trade a lot to get him. I just have a hard time seeing that team being the Broncos. Elway fully believes that Paxton Lynch is going to be a great QB in this league. Part of the new coaching search is with that in mind of the coach having to answer how they are going to work to develop this kid. Which is why the talk of Cousins and Romo at least to me makes very little sense for the Broncos that want to give this kid a chance and build everything possible around him to help him have success. Spending big money on an aging QB or a guy they have to sign long-term in Cousins doesn’t help with that.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought kessler did pretty good for you guys? You jumping off that ship already?

He did strictly OK. The 92.3 QBR isn't bad, but the 7.1 ypa is pretty bad and only 6 TD passes isn't great either.

He is not worth the money that was reported he would get. Hasn't won anything and choked in the final games and we missed the playoffs.

He's better than 1/2 the other starting QBs in the league and every backup minus a healthy Romo. Good luck finding a better replacement.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did strictly OK. The 92.3 QBR isn't bad, but the 7.1 ypa is pretty bad and only 6 TD passes isn't great either.

He's better than 1/2 the other starting QBs in the league and every backup minus a healthy Romo. Good luck finding a better replacement.

He had a great supporting cast. If he wants more than Luck I think they should let him walk.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a great supporting cast. If he wants more than Luck I think they should let him walk.

Seems to me that isn't the case. From what I've heard, he and his agent want a comparable % of the salary cap to what other high level starters are making.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess have to agree to disagree on QB being our position of need over anything else. While our 2 young QB's didn't light up the scoreboard I would put more of the issues for the team on that of the OL. Build up that OL, paired with this defense and the Broncos should be good to go. They won't be blowing anybody out of the water but should win a lot of games with that formula.
Yeah I wasn't talking about you guys specifically when I said you need A QB. I was talking in general. The OL issues are the reason I can't see any of the young guys performing to the level you need them to. I'm just not sure you want to wait 3 years for your defense to get old before your offense catches up. Cousins fixes that right away. Just my opinion

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that isn't the case. From what I've heard, he and his agent want a comparable % of the salary cap to what other high level starters are making.
Of course he wants top money, and he should because 3-4 years from now when the top NFL QBs are signing for $29-33 million a year, he'll be locked to a contract that is no longer equivalent to what the top paid QBs are making. That's the way the NFL pay structure works now. Get the top money now because a few years down the road it won't be top money any more.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wasn't talking about you guys specifically when I said you need A QB. I was talking in general. The OL issues are the reason I can't see any of the young guys performing to the level you need them to. I'm just not sure you want to wait 3 years for your defense to get old before your offense catches up. Cousins fixes that right away. Just my opinion

But let's say he gets that $25 million a year. Couldn't that go a long way towards fixing the OL and getting the offense on track in a hurry? I mean Broncos could sign 2-3 starting high quality OL players for that same price.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he wants top money, and he should because 3-4 years from now when the top NFL QBs are signing for $29-33 million a year, he'll be locked to a contract that is no longer equivalent to what the top paid QBs are making. That's the way the NFL pay structure works now. Get the top money now because a few years down the road it won't be top money any more.

Sounds like a dumb structure. I'm no contract expert, but I'd think I'd want some sort of automatic bump if the salary cap got bumped.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But let's say he gets that $25 million a year. Couldn't that go a long way towards fixing the OL and getting the offense on track in a hurry? I mean Broncos could sign 2-3 starting high quality OL players for that same price.
I guess but Cousins ( imo ) is a higher caliber player than most any OL guy you're going to sign in free agency and it's easier to find good OL help in the draft than it is QB play. I don't have am issue with are build but I just worry that by the time you've got the pieces in offense the defense won't be what it is now. It's already not as good because of losing guys. You're never going to be able to keep everyone

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t say he had as many injury concerns as that of Romo. At least Bradford last year played almost the entire season for the Eagles. I think he missed 2 games with injury but that is much better than now Romo who has missed almost 2 entire seasons because of injuries. And again 29 years old compared to a 37 year old Romo next season.

I would also look at the injuries they suffered. Over the last few seasons it was a left shoulder injury, concussion, and ACL for Bradford. Not great but all of those players have come back from and done very well.

Romo has now had 2 back surgeries in just the last few years. NFL players have talked in the past that when the back goes so does their game. Then of course the broken collarbone that he came back from to only break it again just 2 games later.

I would say that Romo’s injuries are far more scary than that of Bradford and again with the age thing of just how well the body can hold up.

Maybe some team does trade a lot to get him. I just have a hard time seeing that team being the Broncos. Elway fully believes that Paxton Lynch is going to be a great QB in this league. Part of the new coaching search is with that in mind of the coach having to answer how they are going to work to develop this kid. Which is why the talk of Cousins and Romo at least to me makes very little sense for the Broncos that want to give this kid a chance and build everything possible around him to help him have success. Spending big money on an aging QB or a guy they have to sign long-term in Cousins doesn’t help with that.

To be clear, I agree with you that Denver is not the best fit for Romo. I will say Paxton Lynch raised more questions than he answered this year, I think. A team like the Jets or the Texans would be the organizations I would look to strike a deal with if I were running the Cowboys.

Regarding Romo's injuries, yea the back injuries raise some definite concerns. This most recent injury didn't require any rehab or surgery, just rest. The collarbone issue I am not too concerned with - those types of injuries happen. The fact that it happened twice is more indicative it wasn't properly healed the first time, IMO. Steps have since been taken (reshaping the bone) to ensure that it is not a problem going forward. Still, all the broken bones do pose some questions. Can Romo stand up to the rigors of an NFL schedule anymore? Does Romo have osteoporosis?

At the end of the day, Romo still has the desire, and can still play if he can stay healthy. There's bound to be some sucker out there, and I don't think Dallas gets anything less than a 2nd if Romo is traded. Only question is does Jerry just give Romo his unconditional release? They are pretty close after all.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess but Cousins ( imo ) is a higher caliber player than most any OL guy you're going to sign in free agency and it's easier to find good OL help in the draft than it is QB play. I don't have am issue with are build but I just worry that by the time you've got the pieces in offense the defense won't be what it is now. It's already not as good because of losing guys. You're never going to be able to keep everyone

I get all of that. We are not just talking about 1 OL player to that of 1 QB though. We are talking about most likely 3 high quality starting OL players for the price of 1 QB. Otherwise you are looking at the same OL the Broncos had this past season that couldn't get a run game going to help a QB out. So everything falls on the shoulders of that QB to have to go out and win games. Not saying Cousins can't do that but it also limits your offense quite a bit when teams know you can't run.

The other issue is it limits the people we can sign not just this season but for the next few seasons. So the Broncos would be banking on Cousins staying healthy behind a terrible OL and playing like a top-7 QB in the league to lead this team to victory.

I would add most likely you have to overpay to get Cousins because of how many teams will be wanting him. Other teams have like $90 million in cap space compared to just the $40 million for the Broncos. Tough to compete in that type of market for top QB available.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, I agree with you that Denver is not the best fit for Romo. I will say Paxton Lynch raised more questions than he answered this year, I think. A team like the Jets or the Texans would be the organizations I would look to strike a deal with if I were running the Cowboys.

Regarding Romo's injuries, yea the back injuries raise some definite concerns. This most recent injury didn't require any rehab or surgery, just rest. The collarbone issue I am not too concerned with - those types of injuries happen. The fact that it happened twice is more indicative it wasn't properly healed the first time, IMO. Steps have since been taken (reshaping the bone) to ensure that it is not a problem going forward. Still, all the broken bones do pose some questions. Can Romo stand up to the rigors of an NFL schedule anymore? Does Romo have osteoporosis?

At the end of the day, Romo still has the desire, and can still play if he can stay healthy. There's bound to be some sucker out there, and I don't think Dallas gets anything less than a 2nd if Romo is traded. Only question is does Jerry just give Romo his unconditional release? They are pretty close after all.

Close or not, Jerrah is a businessman. No way does he release Romo. In fact, I would expect Romo to remain a Cowboy next year unless Romo is willing to rework his contract to make a trade more workable for someone. Romo's dead cap # is $19.6M next year; no way does Jerrah take that hit. In 2018, that hit is only $8.9M, so cutting him loose becomes more likely.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close or not, Jerrah is a businessman. No way does he release Romo. In fact, I would expect Romo to remain a Cowboy next year unless Romo is willing to rework his contract to make a trade more workable for someone. Romo's dead cap # is $19.6M next year; no way does Jerrah take that hit. In 2018, that hit is only $8.9M, so cutting him loose becomes more likely.

Romo's contract is very workable for any team that potentially acquires him. Romo's 2017 cap hit for any team that trades for him is $14mil, and $19.5 and $20.5 the two following years. His contract is not the issue for any team that acquires him. The contract is very much an issue for the Cowboys, who are on the hook for all the bonus money due Romo. There is no way Romo is on the Cowboys roster next year as a backup QB with a $25mil cap hit. NO WAY! Dallas flat out can not afford it.

You can pay a $19.6mil dead hit for Romo not to play for the Cowboys, or you can pay $25.5mil for him to sit on the bench and not to play for the Cowboys - which makes more sense? And don't forget, Dallas is already $2+mil over next years projected salary cap with only 41 players signed.

The trade/release may come after June 1, but you better believe it's happening - unless something catastrophic happens to Da.... nope, I better not say it. **knocks on wood**

Last edited:

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded for, Romo's current contract is pretty team friendly for whatever team acquires him - considering Dallas would be paying all bonus money due. Romo has base salaries of $14mil in 2017, $19.5mil in 2018, and $20.5mil in 2019 if a team believes Romo is healthy that is a pretty cost effective deal for a QB of Romo's caliber - and he could be cut at any time with no cap ramifications. Unless my understanding of trades and the cap is wrong... I'll do some research.

Some people are talking crazy like Romo might only be worth a 3rd or a 4th - that's ridiculous when you consider Bradford, one of the only QBs injured as often as Romo, fetched a 1st and 4th. Others say that Romo wants an outright release because Dallas may not trade him until post-June 1 due to salary cap ramifications (Romo dead money in 2017 is $19.6mil), thus limiting Romo's potential landing spots.

Personally, I would like to see Dallas trade Romo prior to the draft for something along the lines of a 2017 2nd rounder, or possibly a conditional 2018 1st rounder based on games played. The dead cap hit will suck, but best to take the medicine now while Dallas can afford to absorb the hit with all the young talent still on rookie deals. Dallas will need all the money they can spare in 2018.

Of course this is all predicated on some team believing Romo is healthy, and has just been subject to some really bad luck.

I think the thing you miss comparing Bradford and Romo:

1) Vikings overpaid for Bradford in my opinion.
2) Romo is near the end of his career. At least with Bradford your get first chance to overpay for him. Romo is done in 2 years. 1st or 2nd for a QB done in 2 years is too much.