• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Passes for 4900 yards and now he is a free agent

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I have looked at his contract plenty. You are right compared to many NFL QB's these days it is a pretty team friendly deal. Here is why I don't want to see the Broncos trade for Tony Romo...

1) While I don't think he fetches as much as you think he will he will still cost the team a decent draft pick. You have to remember that Bradford is still actually under 30 years old. So a team could see if he can stay healthy him being the QB for the next 4-5 years (length of a 1st round pick contract). With Romo teams are hoping for maybe 1 healthy season (that is closer to 5th round or later value. Still for me I would rather see my team build through the draft and see what these young QB's can do.

2) At least for me I would rather spend that $14 million towards the OL. Cowboys are a great example of having a young QB behind a great OL and just how beneficial that can be.
Also an example of getting a top 3 pick QB in the 4th round and nailing 3 first round OL picks as All Pros. Very unlikely either works as well for a team attempting to duplicate the strategy. i'm a huge believer in the draft, but the crap shoot aspect of it is the part everyone seems to forget when they decide a "youth movement" is the best way to improve a team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also an example of getting a top 3 pick QB in the 4th round and nailing 3 first round OL picks as All Pros. Very unlikely either works as well for a team attempting to duplicate the strategy. i'm a huge believer in the draft, but the crap shoot aspect of it is the part everyone seems to forget when they decide a "youth movement" is the best way to improve a team.

I agree the odds of duplicating that are low.

What I’m talking about is using that money that could have been spent on Romo and applying it to the OL. You are getting proven players like say they go sign TJ Lang or Kevin Zeitler. Both are proven high quality guards in the NFL.

Let’s say they were going to trade for Romo and give up a 2nd round pick. Well they could use that to go get a very high quality Tackle from some team. Maybe because of all the issues the Eagles have had with Lane Johnson they are willing to part with him for that type of pick.

To me either way is a risk. You risk by going and getting Romo that he breaks down just a few games into the season and then your whole year is possibly going down the tanker. You risk alienating your young QB that you got in the 1st. You risk the offense not being all that great because they couldn’t’ fix the OL.

On the other side you have the risk of hoping that your young QB develops quickly to take advantage of the great defense you have.

I guess for me as a Bronco fan I’m more willing to go with the young QB and hope that he develops in a hurry. I was a huge Lynch fan way before the draft and I think with a quality OL in front of him and a run game that takes some of the pressure off the Broncos can have an offense that is good enough to pair with this defense and win a lot of games.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing you miss comparing Bradford and Romo:

1) Vikings overpaid for Bradford in my opinion.
2) Romo is near the end of his career. At least with Bradford your get first chance to overpay for him. Romo is done in 2 years. 1st or 2nd for a QB done in 2 years is too much.

1) I agree the Vikings over-paid. Teams always over-pay. The Bradford deal is just the latest example. Remember Matt Flynn? Matt Cassell? I don't think a 2nd rounder for a chance at a reasonably cheap Romo is too far fetched.

2) You're assuming Romo is done. None of that has been decided yet. Romo seems to think he has gas left in the tank. I'm pretty confident a team will pay to find out.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo's contract is very workable for any team that potentially acquires him. Romo's 2017 cap hit for any team that trades for him is $14mil, and $19.5 and $20.5 the two following years. His contract is not the issue for any team that acquires him. The contract is very much an issue for the Cowboys, who are on the hook for all the bonus money due Romo. There is no way Romo is on the Cowboys roster next year as a backup QB with a $25mil cap hit. NO WAY! Dallas flat out can not afford it.

You can pay a $19.6mil dead hit for Romo not to play for the Cowboys, or you can pay $25.5mil for him to sit on the bench and not to play for the Cowboys - which makes more sense? And don't forget, Dallas is already $2+mil over next years projected salary cap with only 41 players signed.

The trade/release may come after June 1, but you better believe it's happening - unless something catastrophic happens to Da.... nope, I better not say it. **knocks on wood**
I don't know that either is likely at all. The two possibilities I see are trade/cut post 6/1 which would yield a $10.7M cap hit in 2017 and another $9M in 2018 or a huge pay cut to stay with Dallas - perhaps the $5M to make up the difference between his "dead money" and "status quo" cap hits.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that either is likely at all. The two possibilities I see are trade/cut post 6/1 which would yield a $10.7M cap hit in 2017 and another $9M in 2018 or a huge pay cut to stay with Dallas - perhaps the $5M to make up the difference between his "dead money" and "status quo" cap hits.

The only definite that I included in my post is that Romo will definitely NOT be the Cowboys back up with a $25.5mil cap hit - and I am 100% sure of that.

A restructure/renegotiation (ala Brandon Carr) may happen, although I think that is the least likely scenario.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the odds of duplicating that are low.

What I’m talking about is using that money that could have been spent on Romo and applying it to the OL. You are getting proven players like say they go sign TJ Lang or Kevin Zeitler. Both are proven high quality guards in the NFL.

Let’s say they were going to trade for Romo and give up a 2nd round pick. Well they could use that to go get a very high quality Tackle from some team. Maybe because of all the issues the Eagles have had with Lane Johnson they are willing to part with him for that type of pick.

To me either way is a risk. You risk by going and getting Romo that he breaks down just a few games into the season and then your whole year is possibly going down the tanker. You risk alienating your young QB that you got in the 1st. You risk the offense not being all that great because they couldn’t’ fix the OL.

On the other side you have the risk of hoping that your young QB develops quickly to take advantage of the great defense you have.

I guess for me as a Bronco fan I’m more willing to go with the young QB and hope that he develops in a hurry. I was a huge Lynch fan way before the draft and I think with a quality OL in front of him and a run game that takes some of the pressure off the Broncos can have an offense that is good enough to pair with this defense and win a lot of games.
My problem with going with a QB that looks to not be very good is you still have a SB defense. You probably won't by the time you figure out your QB position if you commit to one of these kids or hit the draft again. It could work out no doubt...I'm just saying I'd bet against it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with going with a QB that looks to not be very good is you still have a SB defense. You probably won't by the time you figure out your QB position if you commit to one of these kids or hit the draft again. It could work out no doubt...I'm just saying I'd bet against it.

But you are banking on the idea that Lynch cannot improve and succeed. Elway made it very clear when Kubiak retired that part of the next coach coming in is they must develop and work with this kid. Or have a plan of who can come in and develop him. So they love Lynch and his potential. Yeah maybe it doesn't work out but to me banking on a young player improving is at the same level of trusting a very aged and beaten down QB to stay healthy for 16 games behind a bad OL.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are banking on the idea that Lynch cannot improve and succeed. Elway made it very clear when Kubiak retired that part of the next coach coming in is they must develop and work with this kid. Or have a plan of who can come in and develop him. So they love Lynch and his potential. Yeah maybe it doesn't work out but to me banking on a young player improving is at the same level of trusting a very aged and beaten down QB to stay healthy for 16 games behind a bad OL.
No. I'm not banking on it. I said "it could work out no doubt". I'm saying I don't think it is going to and that I sure as heck wouldn't choose that route if it were up to me. It doesn't seem that Den is incredibly high on Lynch after having him around for a year:noidea:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I'm not banking on it. I said "it could work out no doubt". I'm saying I don't think it is going to and that I sure as heck wouldn't choose that route if it were up to me. It doesn't seem that Den is incredibly high on Lynch after having him around for a year:noidea:

Well I would say if you think Denver isn’t incredibly high on Lynch then you don’t know what is going on in Denver a whole lot. They are extremely high on him. Elway especially is probably his biggest fan in the entire state. He is one of the key points in all of the coaching interviews they are doing over the next couple of weeks. They view him as the future of the team.

Now I will say Kubiak did not think that of him. Kubiak really likes Siemian and his future. Some have thought that part of Kubiak’s retiring was because Elway and Kubiak could not see eye to eye on the QB situation. With Kubiak gone though have to think the team is planning on moving forward with Lynch.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would say if you think Denver isn’t incredibly high on Lynch then you don’t know what is going on in Denver a whole lot. They are extremely high on him. Elway especially is probably his biggest fan in the entire state. He is one of the key points in all of the coaching interviews they are doing over the next couple of weeks. They view him as the future of the team.

Now I will say Kubiak did not think that of him. Kubiak really likes Siemian and his future. Some have thought that part of Kubiak’s retiring was because Elway and Kubiak could not see eye to eye on the QB situation. With Kubiak gone though have to think the team is planning on moving forward with Lynch.

I only saw Lynch briefly this year. I was less than impressed. But I won't draw any conclusions from that.

As a knowledgeable Bronco fan, what's your feeling on the kid?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubiak's opinion of him after having him around for a full year holds no value?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubiak's opinion of him after having him around for a full year holds no value?

I swear I have heard Kubiak called the QB whisperer.... or maybe I have that wrong?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington messed up by not signing him last year. Granted he had a good year this year and I get the benefit of hindsight, but that will cost them at least $20 million over what he would've signed for last year.

I can't see how they can let him go and not look stupid. He was in the draft with RGIII and kind of salvages that trade for them. How stupid would they look to let him walk after years of setting the free agent market with the top signings? That would basically tell the players they have that they're less important than the new guys they're bringing in. The way I see it, Washington is in a no win situation. They need to pay up for Cousins now, or look very bad in the eyes of their own players...which then trickles down to the rest of the league.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington messed up by not signing him last year. Granted he had a good year this year and I get the benefit of hindsight, but that will cost them at least $20 million over what he would've signed for last year.

I can't see how they can let him go and not look stupid. He was in the draft with RGIII and kind of salvages that trade for them. How stupid would they look to let him walk after years of setting the free agent market with the top signings? That would basically tell the players they have that they're less important than the new guys they're bringing in. The way I see it, Washington is in a now win situation. They need to pay up for Cousins now, or look very bad in the eyes of their own players...which then trickles down to the rest of the league.

If I am Washington, be happy to overpay $20mil this year and know I'm getting a good QB, versus potentially wasting $50-60mil guaranteed on a question mark last year.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am Washington, be happy to overpay $20mil this year and know I'm getting a good QB, versus potentially wasting $50-60mil guaranteed on a question mark last year.

Right, but my point is by waiting to see if last year was an outlier, they cost themselves $20 million in signing bonus guarantee. Cousins bet on himself and won, now Washington needs to pay up, or look stupid. With how they've conducted business historically, they'd look really bad to let him walk.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Skins put a defense in place that could stop people

Kirk Cousins will be the very last of their problems

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but my point is by waiting to see if last year was an outlier, they cost themselves $20 million in signing bonus guarantee. Cousins bet on himself and won, now Washington needs to pay up, or look stupid. With how they've conducted business historically, they'd look really bad to let him walk.

I agree, Washington needs to pay. As I said, if I am Washington, I take that $20mil overpay in stride with a smile on my face. At least they have their guy now. Just hope that they structure the deal in such a way it doesn't prohibit building a team around him.

Now speaking as a Cowboys fan, I hope Washington gives Cousins all the money in the world.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets got him, they could actually become a decent team again. They have the receivers and running backs. They just need a QB. But I don't know if the Jets could fit $24-28 million a year under the cap. Anyone know?

He would get the 20% raise over last years franchise tag if warshington had to franchise him again. That wont be his number on the free agent market.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Washington needs to pay. As I said, if I am Washington, I take that $20mil overpay in stride with a smile on my face. At least they have their guy now. Just hope that they structure the deal in such a way it doesn't prohibit building a team around him.

Now speaking as a Cowboys fan, I hope Washington gives Cousins all the money in the world.

If Cousins is thinking of a break the bank contract, he might want to talk to Flacco. That thing screwed his team up for a long time...just something to keep in mind...cuz if it's that prohibitive, lots of guys that are making him what he is won't be around very long...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also the guy that could eat up the cap space for the next 3-4 years making it impossible to sign any players to build around him.
Hard to fit having Cousins, Miller, Thomas, Talib, Sanders, and Harris all under the same cap and still have any kind of depth.

It would also be admitting that our 1st round QB is a complete bust and that we have decided to move on from him. I can't see Elway doing that considering he is the one who handpicked the kid.

Cousins has mostly earned this pay day, but if it were me in DEN...I wouldn't do it...Romo if allowed to become a FA or traded for a reasonable sum would be a better fit imo...he should eb cheaper, plus he's a shorter term guy giving the young QB some time to get his bearings all going in the same direction.

Cousins performances in win or go home games leaves me wanting more with the money he's going to get.