• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orakpo

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, since we would skewer RG3 for such a statement, what do you think of Orakpo's stance?

Brian Orakpo: ?I don?t have to prove myself to anybody?

Just as I would if it were RG3 who said this, Orakpo does need to prove himself. To the new coaching staff, to the front office, to the owner, and to us. He is begin paid as a top player at his position yet he has never produced at that level. In fact, every player on this team needs to prove themselves every year. We don't have anyone that is above reproach. IF he wants a long term deal, he does need to prove that he is a top player.

Thoughts?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have something to prove. Not that he is a top player, but that he is an elite player since that seems to be the bar that has been set. He is among the top 20 at his position. But apparently he will need to be among top five for the front office and fanbase to deem him worthy. Thats what he needs to prove.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to be a top 5 for me, but if he's not, he can't expect an elite level long term deal.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, since we would skewer RG3 for such a statement, what do you think of Orakpo's stance?

Just as I would if it were RG3 who said this, Orakpo does need to prove himself. To the new coaching staff, to the front office, to the owner, and to us. He is begin paid as a top player at his position yet he has never produced at that level. In fact, every player on this team needs to prove themselves every year. We don't have anyone that is above reproach. IF he wants a long term deal, he does need to prove that he is a top player.

Thoughts?

1 sack a game.
Always in the first half. Usually in the first quarter. He disappears for several quarters. He has no inside rush.
Heck he rarely tries to beat his own guy inside. His comments are alarming and borderline ridiculous.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, he's got a new boss...he's got something to prove. Your new boss could convince the owner to let you walk, lol.
Once again, this is a year where we will see if scheme was holding him back. He has Kerrigan, he has Hatcher....15 sacks will get him to elite status. Honestly a healthy Kerrigan could eclipse him this year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

the guy is a 3x pro bowler . how much does he need to prove ? RG3 on the other handRG#3DOES have something to [prove

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy is a 3x pro bowler . how much does he need to prove ? RG3 on the other hand DOES have something to [prove

Now that's a surprise.:suds:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was curious to see what Skins fans thought of this comment, interesting - I agree with some of you.

IMO (as a Hawks fan) Orakpo is solid, I would love to have him on Seattle, but he's not like a MONSTER/ridiculous player that just blows up games non-stop (like Ware in his prime or something). I think he should be DARN happy he is getting $11.5M this year.

PLUS he was injured nearly the whole season a couple years ago. Not that it's his fault but he's loony if he thinks that wont affect a long term contract. Skins will prob. want to see one more highly productive and namely HEALTHY year out of him before offering anything long term.

I also think Kerrigan end of careers will be the better player. Causes more turnovers, seems to be better in pass protection, and so far healthy seasons.

As a Hawks fan if I could have Kerrigan or Orakpo completely healthy for FREE one season, I'll take Kerrigan in a heart beat. I think you guys got a stud in the making there.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to your position on Rak.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rak is the type of guy we should want to keep .

it depends. If he is expecting elite type money (like he's getting now), he has to produce at an elite level. He has yet to do that. He has no excuses this year. They brought in help that will take pressure off of him. They are tailoring the Defense to free him up. They are not going to use him in coverage anywhere near where they did the last few years. If he ends up with 10-12 sacks again, then he will most likely be gone. Clearly the Coach and the FO aren't completely sold just yet, Gruden basically said as much.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it depends. If he is expecting elite type money (like he's getting now), he has to produce at an elite level. He has yet to do that. He has no excuses this year. They brought in help that will take pressure off of him. They are tailoring the Defense to free him up. They are not going to use him in coverage anywhere near where they did the last few years. If he ends up with 10-12 sacks again, then he will most likely be gone. Clearly the Coach and the FO aren't completely sold just yet, Gruden basically said as much.

how much more elite do you have to be with 3 pro bowls and an alternate in 5 healthy years ? sacks arent the only measuring stick he is our best defensive player

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much more elite do you have to be with 3 pro bowls and an alternate in 5 healthy years ? sacks arent the only measuring stick he is our best defensive player

Really?? You think Rak has achieved the level of elite OLB??? How many elite OLBs are there in the NFL based on your measuring stick? And if we aren't measuring him by sacks only, what else has he done? INTs? Forced Fumbles? Tackles for loss? He is no where close to Kerrigan or many others on those stats. So what makes him elite? He MAY be our best defensive player on our team last year (I don't agree, but can understand the sentiment), but our defense sucked. That's not a huge accomplishment.

As for the PB, correct if I'm wrong, but i think he backed into 2 of those due to injuries, etc. He wasn't originally picked, he was an alternate.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kerrigan 24.5 sacks 183 tackles 10 ff 1 rec 2tds 1PB

rak 28.5 sacks 165 tackles 6 FF 1 rec. )tds 2pbs

both are pretty similar

rak has led the team the last 2 years it sacks , hits , pressures and hurries combined

kerrigan has never recorded a double digit sacks season

i think rak and kerrigan are 2 very good OLB's and we should keep them both

i dont want to hear about "backing into " pro bowls , that is simply a poor argument . fact is he was in the top 4 twice at OLB and last season in the top 8

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kerrigan 24.5 sacks 183 tackles 10 ff 1 rec 2tds 1PB

rak 28.5 sacks 165 tackles 6 FF 1 rec. )tds 2pbs

both are pretty similar

rak has led the team the last 2 years it sacks , hits , pressures and hurries combined

kerrigan has never recorded a double digit sacks season

i think rak and kerrigan are 2 very good OLB's and we should keep them both

i dont want to hear about "backing into " pro bowls , that is simply a poor argument . fact is he was in the top 4 twice at OLB and last season in the top 8

You may not want to hear about it, but I'm going to say it anyway. He was an afterthought for 2 of those PBs.

While Kerrigan and Rak's number are similar, I would argue that Kerrigan has had more of an impact. More tackles, more INTs, more forced fumbles, more tackles for loss, more TDs. Rak only leads in sacks which you stated earlier isn't the only measuring stick. Honestly, as it stands to date, if we could only keep one, I'd vote for Kerrigan. He is a more complete player and has been more durable. I believe he has more upside. I think (besides sacks) what we'e seen from Rak is all we are getting. I do expect his sack numbers will go up this year......at least they should.

Rak is a very good OLB so far, but he is no where near the elite status. Can he get there? Potentially. But if he doesn't do it this year, he never will.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think of these two guys I think of Orakpo being the guy who has great games against Oakland but not against teams in our division. I think of Kerrigan as more of a playmaker. Both have very similar numbers. Orakpo has been the slightly better better pass rusher, I think Kerrigan is the better all around player. If Orakpo is worth $11 million than Kerrigan is certainly worth $7 million. The Redskins can lock Kerrigan up for 2 more years for less than what Orakpo is making for this year, seems like a no brainer to me.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not want to hear about it, but I'm going to say it anyway. He was an afterthought for 2 of those PBs.

While Kerrigan and Rak's number are similar, I would argue that Kerrigan has had more of an impact. More tackles, more INTs, more forced fumbles, more tackles for loss, more TDs. Rak only leads in sacks which you stated earlier isn't the only measuring stick. Honestly, as it stands to date, if we could only keep one, I'd vote for Kerrigan. He is a more complete player and has been more durable. I believe he has more upside. I think (besides sacks) what we'e seen from Rak is all we are getting. I do expect his sack numbers will go up this year......at least they should.

Rak is a very good OLB so far, but he is no where near the elite status. Can he get there? Potentially. But if he doesn't do it this year, he never will.
the "afterthought " had to be in the top 4 OLB 's twice and the the 8 in this last one

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "afterthought " had to be in the top 4 OLB 's twice and the the 8 in this last one

If he was added after the fact due to injury or Superbowl commitment, he was an afterthought. My only point is that you offer up his PB appearances as an example of why he is elite. So its only fair that we understand why he was really in the PB. Only once has he made it straight up over his peers. This doesn't mean that I don't think he isn't a very good OLB, just not an elite. I can name 6 or 8 OLBs that I believe are better than him just off the top of my head: Von Miller, Aldon Smith (not withstanding his latest off field issue), Feeney, Mathis, Matthews, Abraham, Tamba Hali, Ware. I'm sure I've forgotten someone obvious.......ooh yeah....Kerrigan.