• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we trade for a 3SP

First, how many people go packing at both the ML and Minor L level to get 3 ML ready pitchers? I'm assuming you aren't considering any of these 3 to start at AA/AAA.

Second, have you completely written off Colby/Perez/Martinez/Griffin?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, how many people go packing at both the ML and Minor L level to get 3 ML ready pitchers? I'm assuming you aren't considering any of these 3 to start at AA/AAA.

1. We may lose a ML player and MILB player or 2. But this is the pressing need unless Mendez is a phenom
I like Perez but he is too unreliable to have him as 3 for the playoffs. Of course we could try to get one at break but that did not work this year so they went the hitting route which did not get us over the hump

2. Perez is 4, Colby a 5 and AJ starts AAA as does Nic. Dutch is longshot at cheaper deal and may be inserted for Colby. Still puts us short in AAA unless gusy down there improve which hugely needed but it is a start.

My little prediction.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so everyone is clear, my point was not that we should trust the pieces JD has put in place. My point was to trust JD to improve the pieces.

Thanks I admit I likely misunderstood.

I think the new stadium and Arlington supplying a lot of cash forces Rangers to rethink team salary thresholds. Attendance should increase if there is a good product playing.

I remember going there opening day to Ballpark with Mom and son. Son close to marriage now. Wonder if I could get a grandson by then and continue the tradition

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, are you ever correct on this one. Unfortunately, and I think you may be putting it mildly.

Next season we could start with Darvish/Hamels/Lewis(?)/Perez/Martinez with a fall back position of AJ. How comfortable is anyone with this?
To me it would make no sense to not pick up the option on Derek and then go with Nick. In that scenario Derek is certainly worth the $9.5 million it would cost to bring him back.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we need a reliable #3. None of the above fit imo. However, one of them, maybe two, ok at #4.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words: Jon Daniels.
That is very appropriate to remember when discussing in season moves. The winter trading/free agent period has been a somewhat different story.

I would like to see us be so involved in free agency that we would only have minor tweaking to do in season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not too far fetched to see the Rangers non tender Dutch and if the market falls for him and dries up for us, then add him later on a discounted deal. Rangers are really short of pitching depth. I am thinking AJ has one more option so he could start in thr minors if that is necessary. Read TRS article re animosity and no winter ball for him. He has arrived
What is your goal to sign him at keeping in mind what you think he could get on the open market?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he meant a #3 SP and not three different pitchers. Or maybe I misunderstood him.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your goal to sign him at keeping in mind what you think he could get on the open market?

Ok here is my shot in the dark
Including buyout 5 mill. That way he is a 4 or a five, gives depth and gives us option to not pick up Colby depending on assessment. He will have to recreate himself and learn how to spot his FB and refined his slider but probably worth risk at that amount. We shall see what market does IMO Balt overpaid for Gallardo. Bottom line is 11 mill paid means you expect him to perform like your 3 which to me is not a good buy in.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the LA/Wash game. Hard seeing Maddox over there on the Washington bench.
Tough one for the Nats. Dodgers had to eventually get to the NLCS. They've been paying out big bucks building and tinkering with that team since 2009. Goes to show even a big market team with all the money still struggles.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. We may lose a ML player and MILB player or 2. But this is the pressing need unless Mendez is a phenom
I like Perez but he is too unreliable to have him as 3 for the playoffs. Of course we could try to get one at break but that did not work this year so they went the hitting route which did not get us over the hump

2. Perez is 4, Colby a 5 and AJ starts AAA as does Nic. Dutch is longshot at cheaper deal and may be inserted for Colby. Still puts us short in AAA unless gusy down there improve which hugely needed but it is a start.

My little prediction.[/QUOTE

Personally i see Perez going into the 2017 season as at best a #5, Colby i think has seen better days and should retire and Griffin is only a minor league thought. To me we need a good 3rd & 4th via either trade or free agency or a combination of the 2.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see us be so involved in free agency that we would only have minor tweaking to do in season.

Agree. But unfortunately the market is pretty bleak and since it is, it's going to cost a lot to just get a guy for the # 3 hole. He won't come at a # 3 price tag I'm afraid.

If we could accomplish getting a # 3, I wouldn't at all oppose having Perez for the # 4 spot, with Griffin/Holland/Martinez/Lewis battling for the # 5 spot. Obviously, all 4 of these guys wouldn't be available to us.

It'll be interesting to see what JD & Co feel is the value of Lewis, Griffin, Holland and how they feel each of these guys have a chance of rebounding in 2017. Can't imagine there being much of a market for Griffin, so I'm wondering if he'd sign a minor league deal, with an invitation to ST.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. But unfortunately the market is pretty bleak and since it is, it's going to cost a lot to just get a guy for the # 3 hole. He won't come at a # 3 price tag I'm afraid.

If we could accomplish getting a # 3, I wouldn't at all oppose having Perez for the # 4 spot, with Griffin/Holland/Martinez/Lewis battling for the # 5 spot. Obviously, all 4 of these guys wouldn't be available to us.

It'll be interesting to see what JD & Co feel is the value of Lewis, Griffin, Holland and how they feel each of these guys have a chance of rebounding in 2017. Can't imagine there being much of a market for Griffin, so I'm wondering if he'd sign a minor league deal, with an invitation to ST.

Exactly how I think it will play out.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

both Griffin & Harrell are under Ranger control for 2017 so no problem there. Holland is not worth the team option of $11M. Perhaps the Rangers might pass on the option and then re-sign him to a better team-friendly deal as a #5

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need a reliable #3. None of the above fit imo. However, one of them, maybe two, ok at #4.

agree about getting a reliable #3 but disagree that any of them would be ok at #4 at best 1 of them would be serviceable at 5. We need to look for a good #4 too

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree about getting a reliable #3 but disagree that any of them would be ok at #4 at best 1 of them would be serviceable at 5. We need to look for a good #4 too
So you don't think Perez can be a #4?