• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are assuming Hamels is healthy despite his poor performances and then find out next spring that he has physical problems I am not going to be very happy. If he does then that needs to be taken care of now.

Exactly, they seem to use the wait and see/hope method too often in lots of cases

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things I want to happen:

QO Desmond
Sign Gomez to a 1 year show me deal
Decline Holland's option
Let Mitch Moreland walk
Improve the starting rotation whether by trade or spending
Try and sign EE to 1B/DH
Post a bid on Shohei Otani, because duh he's gonna be good

On Gomez, that may be a tough one. The Mets had some issues nailing down a day to day CFer and I believe he came from their system. If we don't give Gomez the QO (and I think we should not, that's a lot of dough) he may shop around on FA.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not want to see the following return:
Moreland
Holland
Hoying
Gallo
Diekman
Beltran
:suds:

Hoying will go back to AAA Round Rock where he periodically rakes AAA pitching. He is MiL depth.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Gomez: "Of course I want to come back. If I had (this much) fun, that I enjoyed it so much for like a month and a half... I can't imagine it for 180 something days. I put this in God's hands... and they know that I love it here. I'm very loyal, it's not always about money. I have money. It's about enjoying the job that I love."
Obviously he is not represented by Scott Borass

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made note of this too. There's only so many throws in anyone's arm, regardless of how smooth their motion, or how diligent their workout commitment. As you noted, he's well over two thousand innings.

Frankly, there isn't one single starter we have which doesn't have some degree of "concern" headed into 2017.
I thought you were the one who mentioned it, but I wasn't sure.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fact. Not even one. Our so called aces were so disappointing. Not at all writing them off bc they will win their share in 2017 but will they be aces?:noidea:
Whether they are or not I believe management sees them that way as they have a tendency to be very optimistic regarding these things.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure I am as satisfied with Desmomd results as EG. Re Gallo, he was not a MLB player but I am not so quick to write him off. He has the tools but his approach obviously needs fixing. His trade value is down so we are going to need to see it out. No comment re the others other than I think grades should be about underperforming expected performance. We kne what DeShields is and pretty much got that IMO. Sorry love Beltre but he did not produce if postseason as did not Beltran. Can not see us signing him except at s lowball rate

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya in that, it's not a prediction of doom, but a true concern.

Hamels, has he pitched himself out? Darvish, can he truly recover, and stay, even semi-healthy for his future? Same for Colby. Is Perez going to mature and get control over his emotions? Is Griffin dead in the water, or can he build stamina in the off season and become a serviceable # 4/5? Holland??? Sorry, I'm cutting bait with him.

I say all this, but hell, somebodies gotta take the ball every game. Is Martinez gonna finally stick?

And my "concerns" expressed here don't even deal with the positional situations we're facing.
JD was quick to note that he believes they will see improvement out of the staff because he believes Perez and Darvish will be better simply from being further removed from surgery.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you were the one who mentioned it, but I wasn't sure.

Still gonna say that Cole lack of repeatable throwing motion resulted in control issues. Root cause is perhaps up in the air. Heard Tepid mention lower body injury could be it which is now disputed, thought maybe a blister, conditioning aligned with age. Yeah do agree that there are so many pitches although good maintenance akin to car extends arm life. I still think there is more to come. Good question is why his release point was so often different. Just a thought

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD was quick to note that he believes they will see improvement out of the staff because he believes Perez and Darvish will be better simply from being further removed from surgery.
Don't really think surgery has anything to do with Perez being a mental case.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole has been an Ace. Yu has better talent and a definite number one but he has not shown to be an Ace yet that I remember

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoying will go back to AAA Round Rock where he periodically rakes AAA pitching. He is MiL depth.

Not sure we keep him on 40 man though and not sure another team would add him to their 40

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure we keep him on 40 man though and not sure another team would add him to their 40
Can't see any reason to keep him around.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see any reason to keep him around.

I keep him on a MILB contract and may do the same with Alberto. Have to think Alberto's future is tied with what happens to Profar.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep him on a MILB contract and may do the same with Alberto. Have to think Alberto's future is tied with what happens to Profar.
Agree on Alberto. Not so much with Hoying. Really do not see his value

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still gonna say that Cole lack of repeatable throwing motion resulted in control issues. Root cause is perhaps up in the air. Heard Tepid mention lower body injury could be it which is now disputed, thought maybe a blister, conditioning aligned with age. Yeah do agree that there are so many pitches although good maintenance akin to car extends arm life. I still think there is more to come. Good question is why his release point was so often different. Just a thought

Hamels first full year in Texas may be a factor too.