• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've most likely heard the FO is undecided about Derek and Colby going forward.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how everytime it gets time to discuss potential trades a lot of folks bring up the players they don't like very much to be traded for someone who could really help the Rangers. That isn't how it works. If you don't care about the players you are suggesting we trade away then either you are right about them and they aren't going to bring back any thing of value or you are wrong about them to begin with. You have to give something of value to get something of value. There are rare exceptions like the Fielder trade, but those don't happen too often. If you want to package some guys who you see as spares you are probably going to get spares back or at least take on a player who has a salary that us too big. If you want to bring back a good pitcher then we are going to have to part with some talent. Odor for example would bring back some major talent.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting how differently people see things. Agree completely with Elvis and Adrian.:nod:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis deserves an A-, Chirinos a C

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers believe there were no physical problems for Cole Hamels down the stretch | SportsDay

Left-hander Cole Hamels did not have any physical problems that contributed to his poor performance over the final six weeks of the season, Texas Rangers manager Jeff Banister said on Tuesday.

Hamels went 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA for his final six regular-season starts. He had the second-highest ERA in the American League during that span, which began on Aug. 30. Kansas City right-hander Edinson Volquez was 0-1 with a 7.71 ERA.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers believe there were no physical problems for Cole Hamels down the stretch | SportsDay

Left-hander Cole Hamels did not have any physical problems that contributed to his poor performance over the final six weeks of the season, Texas Rangers manager Jeff Banister said on Tuesday.

Hamels went 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA for his final six regular-season starts. He had the second-highest ERA in the American League during that span, which began on Aug. 30. Kansas City right-hander Edinson Volquez was 0-1 with a 7.71 ERA.
That's not good.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to believe that is the case, and that he just fell off the planet but it could be. He certainly didnt look good

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not good.
That is what I was about to address. You know some of us had some concerns before we traded for him. I remember someone mentioned all the innings he has logged and I mentioned his AL ERA. I quit worrying about the concern I had because he seemed to quell those fears last year. However, the workload factor may be something to consider. We still owe him $47 million over the next two seasons so I hope he has something left in the tank. He vests for 2020 if he pitches as much in the next 2 years as he has the last 2 years.

He is currently up to 2214 IP.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are assuming Hamels is healthy despite his poor performances and then find out next spring that he has physical problems I am not going to be very happy. If he does then that needs to be taken care of now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember someone mentioned all the innings he has logged and I mentioned his AL ERA.

I made note of this too. There's only so many throws in anyone's arm, regardless of how smooth their motion, or how diligent their workout commitment. As you noted, he's well over two thousand innings.

Frankly, there isn't one single starter we have which doesn't have some degree of "concern" headed into 2017.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made note of this too. There's only so many throws in anyone's arm, regardless of how smooth their motion, or how diligent their workout commitment. As you noted, he's well over two thousand innings.

Frankly, there isn't one single starter we have which doesn't have some degree of "concern" headed into 2017.
That is a fact. Not even one. Our so called aces were so disappointing. Not at all writing them off bc they will win their share in 2017 but will they be aces?:noidea:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fact. Not even one. Our so called aces were so disappointing. Not at all writing them off bc they will win their share in 2017 but will they be aces?:noidea:

I'm with ya in that, it's not a prediction of doom, but a true concern.

Hamels, has he pitched himself out? Darvish, can he truly recover, and stay, even semi-healthy for his future? Same for Colby. Is Perez going to mature and get control over his emotions? Is Griffin dead in the water, or can he build stamina in the off season and become a serviceable # 4/5? Holland??? Sorry, I'm cutting bait with him.

I say all this, but hell, somebodies gotta take the ball every game. Is Martinez gonna finally stick?

And my "concerns" expressed here don't even deal with the positional situations we're facing.