• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels first full year in Texas may be a factor too.

Heard Sandler podcast where the wondered if fatigue due to the near was a factor. So yeah. Hard to say. Mgt adamant that there was no injury

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really think surgery has anything to do with Perez being a mental case.
I think some on here think of Perez as a mental case a lot more than the Rangers management does. He has had some maturity issues at times and I think that has become the convenient explanation for his lack of success.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some on here think of Perez as a mental case a lot more than the Rangers management does. He has had some maturity issues at times and I think that has become the convenient explanation for his lack of success.
Martin has spoke about it himself. ( lack of concentration )

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mental case is a bit harsh but perhaps a bit of logic is involved vs convenient label. Perez gets in trouble and has struggled post surgery. What other explanation other than having a hard time handling pressure. I am not saying he is a lost cause. He is a solid #4

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the LA/Wash game. Hard seeing Maddox over there on the Washington bench.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mental case is a bit harsh but perhaps a bit of logic is involved vs convenient label. Perez gets in trouble and has struggled post surgery. What other explanation other than having a hard time handling pressure. I am not saying he is a lost cause. He is a solid #4
I think the idea that he can't get past errors behind him was exacerbated this year by him getting so many errors behind him in the field. Logic tells you that the more outs you have to get the more chances you have of giving up runs. Every time that happened to Perez it was blamed on him being a mental midget when there were occasions that he simply couldn't get a 4th out before the other team scored.. I think the criticism some gave him was a bit over the top.

He is relatively inexperienced and needs to mature not only mentally, but in terms of experience. Then there is the factor that JD brought up. He was still not completely right after coming back from surgery according to the GM. I think all of those things were factors and yet I believe some wanted to only paint him as a mental midget. Lucroy should continue to help with the knowledge and experience part.

Of course Perez's mental lapses have been a part of his not being as sucessful as we would all like. I just don't think that that is the overwhelming reason.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez will be 26 next season, and will be approaching his 6th year as a ML starter. He's due to toughen up/suck it up and pitch as a professional, regardless of situation.

He can't be anything more than a # 4 though due to his very poor K rate. He's just about at one-to-one and that is really weak.

Having said this, getting more time from TJ surgery is never a bad thing.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not too far fetched to see the Rangers non tender Dutch and if the market falls for him and dries up for us, then add him later on a discounted deal. Rangers are really short of pitching depth. I am thinking AJ has one more option so he could start in thr minors if that is necessary. Read TRS article re animosity and no winter ball for him. He has arrived

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez will be 26 next season, and will be approaching his 6th year as a ML starter. He's due to toughen up/suck it up and pitch as a professional, regardless of situation.

He can't be anything more than a # 4 though due to his very poor K rate. He's just about at one-to-one and that is really weak.

Having said this, getting more time from TJ surgery is never a bad thing.

Would be nice for him to rediscover nhis change up although there was some progress made. Definitely not on pare pre TJ

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are really short of pitching depth. I am thinking AJ has one more option so he could start in thr minors if that is necessary.

Boy, are you ever correct on this one. Unfortunately, and I think you may be putting it mildly.

Next season we could start with Darvish/Hamels/Lewis(?)/Perez/Martinez with a fall back position of AJ. How comfortable is anyone with this?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, are you ever correct on this one. Unfortunately, and I think you may be putting it mildly.

Next season we could start with Darvish/Hamels/Lewis(?)/Perez/Martinez with a fall back position of AJ. How comfortable is anyone with this?
Much work to do.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words: Jon Daniels.
Don't think JD is real comfortable at the moment. His first three starters looked like the 8 of clubs vs aces and the BP was preferred over #4 which probably was the best choice. But we can be confident the situation will be addressed.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think JD is real comfortable at the moment. His first three starters looked like the 8 of clubs vs aces and the BP was preferred over #4 which probably was the best choice. But we can be confident the situation will be addressed.

Well his ASB was lauded but his original plan was to get SP. I think we trade for a 3SP

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words: Jon Daniels.

I don't think he is comfortable about 3-5 and still a head scratcher re Cole. It was noted that the emphasis would be pitching and defense this offseason and JD admitted that we are not doing a good job developing SP talent by the time they hit AAA. Would not be surprised if we have some minor league coaching changes connected with this area

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so everyone is clear, my point was not that we should trust the pieces JD has put in place. My point was to trust JD to improve the pieces.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

after the first 2 not very comfortable