• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Buster Olney re: the Cashner signing.

Now he moves to Globe Life Park in Arlington, which yielded the seventh-most homers in the majors last year. His fastball velocity has declined about 4 mph over the past four seasons, and his swing-and-miss rate in 2016 was easily the lowest of his career.

So unless the Rangers have signed him with a very specific adjustment in mind, and with great confidence that he can effect that change, the choice does seem curious, even with a risk limited to one year.

The projected Texas rotation for 2017:

1. LHP Cole Hamels
2. RHP Yu Darvish
3. LHP Martin Perez
4. RHP Cashner
5. RHP A.J. Griffin

Darvish can be eligible for free agency after next season, and Hamels is under contract for 2017 and 2018, with a vesting option for 2019.
It is one of the strangest moves they have made in quite some time in my estimation. It almost makes the decision not to bring Holland back one that was made for some reason other than baseball logic because it seems to me that Holland is going to have a better year than Cashner in 2017 and not by a slim margin either.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well JD & Co did not think Dutch was worth the 10 mill and no other team did as well or they could have dealt him. I think Cashner was an overpay too but evidently there is more upside with Cashner in FO eyes which is not surprising as to me Dutch just does not have the same quality stuff as prior to injuries. He had a good FB and slider but that is not the case now. I had no real problem with his demeanor only what he came back with after having so much hope in 2014. It is just too bad thinking back how Harrison was lost to injury as well. Real tough luck

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well JD & Co did not think Dutch was worth the 10 mill and no other team did as well or they could have dealt him. I think Cashner was an overpay too but evidently there is more upside with Cashner in FO eyes which is not surprising as to me Dutch just does not have the same quality stuff as prior to injuries. He had a good FB and slider but that is not the case now. I had no real problem with his demeanor only what he came back with after having so much hope in 2014. It is just too bad thinking back how Harrison was lost to injury as well. Real tough luck
No other team was going to be dumb enough to give away players for a pitcher that the Rangers were about to cut loose.

I don't think any other team would have given Cashner what the Rangers did. He should have been left as a reliever a few years back. Like Chan Ho he did find enough success in San Diego to get the Rangers to overpay. At least Chan Ho's success was immediately before we overpaid for him.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No other team was going to be dumb enough to give away players for a pitcher that the Rangers were about to cut loose.

I don't think any other team would have given Cashner what the Rangers did. He should have been left as a reliever a few years back. Like Chan Ho he did find enough success in San Diego to get the Rangers to overpay. At least Chan Ho's success was immediately before we overpaid for him.

Pulease. To compare him to Chan Ho. Ranger could have picked up Dutch option made trade and not pay penalty. I really doubt a player to be added was the hitch. No one wanted him. We definitely disagree re Dutch and worth. I like him but do nothing think he was worth picking up option. You do

Now re Cashner. He had enough value to be involved in a multi player trade. But he did disappoint. And I am not here to toot his horn but obviously not as sour on him as you to invoke Chan Ho Park. Hilarious Had immediate prior success. Ha then we were "Saddled" with that sorry longterm contract And not one for one year. That comp is an extreme stretch.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulease. To compare him to Chan Ho. Ranger could have picked up Dutch option made trade and not pay penalty. I really doubt a player to be added was the hitch. No one wanted him. We definitely disagree re Dutch and worth. I like him but do nothing think he was worth picking up option. You do

Now re Cashner. He had enough value to be involved in a multi player trade. But he did disappoint. And I am not here to toot his horn but obviously not as sour on him as you to invoke Chan Ho Park. Hilarious Had immediate prior success. Ha then we were "Saddled" with that sorry longterm contract And not one for one year. That comp is an extreme stretch.
Yeah, I was wrong about Chan Ho. His SD days were after the Rangers. He used success with the Dodgers to get us to overpay.

I wasn't referring to Chan Ho's contract length.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers claim lefty reliever Rollins from the Cubs. Another scrub

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope DDJ is not our CF next year.
It will depend on Rotation. If we trade for a good #3 then I think we will go all out for Gomez or maybe Hutch. Otherwise we probably will be status quo. Pitching will dictate the direction we go imo.