• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this for two years, and I'm gonna say it one last time.

The Rangers should go to Darvish and gauge his interest in staying here, then make a concerted and fair offer.

If they think he's definitely wanting to test the FA waters, "and" they feel their chances of resigning him at slim, then find out what we can trade him for.

Frankly, 2017 with or without him isn't looking all that promising to me.

Agreed. 2017 doesn't look like a World Series year unless multiple big moves are made.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this for two years, and I'm gonna say it one last time.

The Rangers should go to Darvish and gauge his interest in staying here, then make a concerted and fair offer.

If they think he's definitely wanting to test the FA waters, "and" they feel their chances of resigning him at slim, then find out what we can trade him for.

Frankly, 2017 with or without him isn't looking all that promising to me.
Too much to do. The rotation alone is enough. Then CF and 1B in addition. Lots of holes to fill.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLEASE I know Cashner has been injured too but Dutch has been barely on the field. What are the total innings. I am not a huge Casher enthusiast but you seem to be sour grapes on us not picking up Dutch option.

Ok got home and looked it up Cashner has more than Double the Innings pitched 400 plus to barely 200 for Dutch the last 3 years. No one is saying you picked up a solid #3 who will set the world on fire here and I think the guy got better money than warranted. Just saying he can eat innings and was a difference maker over picking up Dutch option. I mean Dutch could not even make a playoff roster. Best wishes to him. And door not completely shut but I have to not hold to sentimentality for Rangers going forward. We saw how where that got Wash in making out the lineup card

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not ready to throw in the towel this early on our 2017 Texas Rangers including Yu. Let's not unload just quite yet.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok got home and looked it up Cashner has more than Double the Innings pitched 400 plus to barely 200 for Dutch the last 3 years. No one is saying you picked up a solid #3 who will set the world on fire here and I think the guy got better money than warranted. Just saying he can eat innings and was a difference maker over picking up Dutch option. I mean Dutch could not even make a playoff roster. Best wishes to him. And door not completely shut but I have to not hold to sentimentality for Rangers going forward. We saw how where that got Wash in making out the lineup card
What about the years prior to that?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Derek's dog had lived with Cashner instead of Derek those numbers might look a little different.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Derek's dog had lived with Cashner instead of Derek those numbers might look a little different.

Maybe. Or if hockey was not enjoyed. Wink. ..... Hard to laugh at tragedy. I think Dutch was straight about injury though. Like I said earlier not closing door completely

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Bartender DFAd

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If ifs and butts were candy and nuts...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fail to see the relevance.
Of course you don't because that is when Cashner missed some time. That would definitely show him to be less of an innings eater.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you don't because that is when Cashner missed some time. That would definitely show him to be less of an innings eater.

...more than 3 years ago....the defense rests.....

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not ready to throw in the towel this early on our 2017 Texas Rangers including Yu. Let's not unload just quite yet.

If we feel like we have a poor chance of signing Yu beyond next season, then there's absolutely no reason to keep him. And that's not throwing in the towel, it's just prudent business.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we feel like we have a poor chance of signing Yu beyond next season, then there's absolutely no reason to keep him. And that's not throwing in the towel, it's just prudent business.
Agree with ya. Let's find out and move on. He could fill a lot of needs.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with ya. Let's find out and move on. He could fill a lot of needs.

My thoughts exactly. Can't imagine there aren't some teams out there who wouldn't part with 2/3 solid parts for even one year of a $10 million Darvish. Plus, they'd have a chance to resign him, especially if it was in a spot of his liking. Insert Yankees/Dodgers, etc.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly. Can't imagine there aren't some teams out there who wouldn't part with 2/3 solid parts for even one year of a $10 million Darvish. Plus, they'd have a chance to resign him, especially if it was in a spot of his liking. Insert Yankees/Dodgers, etc.

I'd make every attempt at extending him, and if he won't bite I'd trade him.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball at large thinks Cashner signing was a puzzling move and I am sure Ranger fans overall would like more a splashy move. Baseball is crazy though and if a big if he CSI be tweaked he has the stuff to be a 3SP but he sure has not proved it even in a weaker NL.

Of course, FanGraphs thinks it is lousy trade which is their usual mantra every season re Rangers (they consider Rangers are a below avg team). Of course I think Jeff S has that Seattle bias against us but that is only my opinion.

So what is next? Have to think we sign or trade for another pitcher perhaps with Profar and reliever as trade bait. I think trade is more likely. Gray or Archer sound great but we shall see. A FA pitcher signing is a longshot which is no earth shattering news to most here

Now despite others opinions here I would not trade Yu unless we are out of race come ASB. But really too early to tell at that point. A guy like Rua could pan out and Profar will likely improve if here. Wonder if We get MILB pitching help. A lull in the action right now but perhaps early December another move made and another one on the cheap right before ST.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Buster Olney re: the Cashner signing.

Now he moves to Globe Life Park in Arlington, which yielded the seventh-most homers in the majors last year. His fastball velocity has declined about 4 mph over the past four seasons, and his swing-and-miss rate in 2016 was easily the lowest of his career.

So unless the Rangers have signed him with a very specific adjustment in mind, and with great confidence that he can effect that change, the choice does seem curious, even with a risk limited to one year.

The projected Texas rotation for 2017:

1. LHP Cole Hamels
2. RHP Yu Darvish
3. LHP Martin Perez
4. RHP Cashner
5. RHP A.J. Griffin

Darvish can be eligible for free agency after next season, and Hamels is under contract for 2017 and 2018, with a vesting option for 2019.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Buster Olney re: the Cashner signing.

Now he moves to Globe Life Park in Arlington, which yielded the seventh-most homers in the majors last year. His fastball velocity has declined about 4 mph over the past four seasons, and his swing-and-miss rate in 2016 was easily the lowest of his career.

So unless the Rangers have signed him with a very specific adjustment in mind, and with great confidence that he can effect that change, the choice does seem curious, even with a risk limited to one year.

The projected Texas rotation for 2017:

1. LHP Cole Hamels
2. RHP Yu Darvish
3. LHP Martin Perez
4. RHP Cashner
5. RHP A.J. Griffin

Darvish can be eligible for free agency after next season, and Hamels is under contract for 2017 and 2018, with a vesting option for 2019.
Don't have an answer but that #4/5 won'r cut it. Maybe a trade coming we don't see fight now.