• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners trade Taijuan Walker to D'Backs. Weakens them in the short term.

Another untouchable prospect that never really delivered on what he was projected to

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the goal was when they traded Teixeira

how many times do you see the kind of turn-around that Texas saw in that trade? once in literally dozens of trades. prospects are just that prospects and most never see the light of day in the majors. you can load up on a bunch of prospects by trading away proven veterans and end up with 1 maybe 2 that make it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's write off the season and gut the team. When would we become relevant again? 2020 or 2025.

Exactly what does "gut the team mean" in your estimation?

If Yu isn't willing to commit beyond 2017 I don't see why we wouldn't "consider" trading him. Is this called gutting?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners trade Taijuan Walker to D'Backs. Weakens them in the short term.

Classic example of a team gutting themselves for the 2017 season. ha

Or maybe this is what they were thinking:

SEATTLE — The Seattle Mariners finally landed the established shortstop they've long been trying to find.

To do it, they had to part with a talented young pitcher who still has the potential to blossom.

Seattle and Arizona pulled off a five-player trade Wednesday night, with the Mariners acquiring speedy infielder Jean Segura and the Diamondbacks getting right-hander Taijuan Walker as the centerpieces of the deal.

Segura immediately projects as Seattle's leadoff hitter and starting shortstop, solidifying an infield that already includes All-Star sluggers Kyle Seager at third base and Robinson Cano at second. But getting Segura meant the Mariners had to give up on the inconsistent Walker, a power arm who has showed occasional flashes of brilliance.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic example of a team gutting themselves for the 2017 season. ha

Or maybe this is what they were thinking:

SEATTLE — The Seattle Mariners finally landed the established shortstop they've long been trying to find.

To do it, they had to part with a talented young pitcher who still has the potential to blossom.

Seattle and Arizona pulled off a five-player trade Wednesday night, with the Mariners acquiring speedy infielder Jean Segura and the Diamondbacks getting right-hander Taijuan Walker as the centerpieces of the deal.

Segura immediately projects as Seattle's leadoff hitter and starting shortstop, solidifying an infield that already includes All-Star sluggers Kyle Seager at third base and Robinson Cano at second. But getting Segura meant the Mariners had to give up on the inconsistent Walker, a power arm who has showed occasional flashes of brilliance.

no that is an example of making a logical move to improve your team by surrendering a piece that hasn't produced to projected levels. Now if the Rangers are freefalling and decide to trade Yu at the trade deadline because he won't discuss or agree to an extension then i trade him for what we can get but to start discussing trading him, Hamels and other veterans during the off-season before signings or trades are done is "gutting the team"

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what does "gut the team mean" in your estimation?

If Yu isn't willing to commit beyond 2017 I don't see why we wouldn't "consider" trading him. Is this called gutting?

have they even discussed an extension or are you assuming that neither is interested?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, my family and I wish all of you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, my family and I wish all of you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving

Thank you bud.....enjoy the day, and we'll BS about baseball next week.

Eat, drink, be merry, but travel safe guys!

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many times do you see the kind of turn-around that Texas saw in that trade? once in literally dozens of trades. prospects are just that prospects and most never see the light of day in the majors. you can load up on a bunch of prospects by trading away proven veterans and end up with 1 maybe 2 that make it.
We have gotten quality back for other veterans as well. We have just never had any more trades where we traded someone the caliber of Teixeira. That is why you haven't seen it since then. Had we traded Beltre for prospects a few years back then I think we would have at least 2 very good prospects by now ready to make a huge impact. We would probably have had at least one or maybe two from trading Kinsler had we traded him for prospects and agreed to eat a portion of his salary. Kind of like Detroit getting Fulmer for Cespedes.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no that is an example of making a logical move to improve your team by surrendering a piece that hasn't produced to projected levels. Now if the Rangers are freefalling and decide to trade Yu at the trade deadline because he won't discuss or agree to an extension then i trade him for what we can get but to start discussing trading him, Hamels and other veterans during the off-season before signings or trades are done is "gutting the team"

Considering the Yankees traded Chapman mid season after they decided to give up on this past season, I'm thinking that's the point here, not trading them in the off season... which is also what makes the most rational sense

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Yankees traded Chapman mid season after they decided to give up on this past season, I'm thinking that's the point here, not trading them in the off season... which is also what makes the most rational sense

now that i can agree with that wording.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if the Rangers are freefalling and decide to trade Yu at the trade deadline because he won't discuss or agree to an extension then i trade him for what we can get but to start discussing trading him, Hamels and other veterans during the off-season before signings or trades are done is "gutting the team"

No one, with the exception of you, has mentioned trading Hamels, or any other veteran, other than Darvish. And my point was and is in re: to Yu's situation, "trade him now IF it appears the Rangers can't retain him beyond the 2017 year."

have they even discussed an extension or are you assuming that neither is interested?

I have no idea IF they've had the discussion or not. Therefore, I'm making no assumptions at all. Just expressing some off-season thoughts re: our clubs future, both short and long term.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter meetings start next week, don't know if much if anything will get done there but it might at least make for some rumblings in here?

Its like a ghost town in here, just thought I would blow some dust up

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter meetings start next week, don't know if much if anything will get done there but it might at least make for some rumblings in here?

Its like a ghost town in here, just thought I would blow some dust up
Not expecting to much. The Rangers haven't done much in the winter meetings the last 2 years.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't spell Jedi without JD.
You can say the same thing about this guy.

jed.jpg