• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The few times he has been called up, he has been way over matched by major pitching. If he can only hit .240 at AAA, no way he is going to hit .240 or above in the big leagues. I still think it was a mistake to even call him up in September. Whoever got to Gomez, I wish they could get to Gallo.
I hope for Joey's sake that he gets it long before Gomez did.

When he does come up I expect he will struggle for awhile, maybe even a couple of months, before he settled in. It will require a lot of patience on management's part to keep running him out there on an almost daily basis.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe right and real issue is if we think he is a MLB pitcher. I am just wondering if 11 million is best spent elsewhere and roll the dice with another pitcher. Would you rather have a Caf signing and not Dutch due to savings? Of course I am special tong there is a fixed budget.
If this were politics I think you would be accused of being a Never Hollander. lol
#neverholland

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see him hit for a much higher average than .240 at AAA, but when he gets up here I will settle for .240-.250 if his OPS is up around .900. Of course if he ever achieves up here what he did at Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago it would shock all of us.

to me with what i've seen from him that would be asking a lot

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me with what i've seen from him that would be asking a lot
I think that could have been said about him in different places so far. When he hit .232 in Frisco in 2014 someone probably thought he would never hit in AA. Then in 2015 he hit .314 there. You could be right though. We shall see.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that could have been said about him in different places so far. When he hit .232 in Frisco in 2014 someone probably thought he would never hit in AA. Then in 2015 he hit .314 there. You could be right though. We shall see.
Funny how things work. Chris Davis wasn't worth 2 cents until we gave up on him. I think FO remembers all too well and doesn't want to repeat the mistake again.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers position series, 1B: With questions surrounding first base, could a former Ranger fill the void? | SportsDay

First base is a major issue heading into the offseason. Then, again, it really hasn't been a strength for the Rangers since Mark Teixeira was traded in 2007.

Moreland won't be back. Gallo can't yet be counted on. Rua is, at best, a platoon player. Profar wants to play shortstop, not first base, doesn't have the power you'd like at the position and struggled offensively over the second half of the season. Both Gallo and Profar might be guys the Rangers would have to consider moving if they are to try to land starting pitching.

Even if the Rangers were to sign Napoli, there will be questions about his age and whether he can repeat a 30-homer, 100-RBI season at age 35.

They simply won't be able to come up with answers this winter. This is a situation that will linger into spring training and perhaps into the season. The best they can do is try to provide options.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Davis wasn't worth 2 cents until we gave up on him. I think FO remembers all too well and doesn't want to repeat the mistake again.

Well, if you were responsible for giving up Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Davis who have combined for 518 HR's and 1659 RBI since they left, wouldn't you be at least a little concerned about giving up on Gallo at 22 years old? ha ha

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you were responsible for giving up Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Davis who have combined for 518 HR's and 1659 RBI since they left, wouldn't you be at least a little concerned about giving up on Gallo at 22 years old? ha ha
Just putting out there in case others might want to broaden their horizons. Patience is a virtue.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just putting out there in case others might want to broaden their horizons. Patience is a virtue.

yes it is but sometimes you have to be pragmatic and realize that maybe what is best for the team doesn't include him on the roster. The team can't afford to wait while he does or doesn't come around

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes it is but sometimes you have to be pragmatic and realize that maybe what is best for the team doesn't include him on the roster. The team can't afford to wait while he does or doesn't come around
Well if that is true than they sure blew it with Davis. He is not on the team and won't be until he's ready. Can't wait? You can say that about all minor league players. Of course they won't wait. Guarantee someone will play there. Meanwhile Gallo will be in AAA trying to improve like all of them. He may never make it but he will not be hurting the team in the meantime. Most of us recognize how bad he has been but that was exactly what happened in case of Chris Davis. A little patience would have made a big difference in today's 1st baseman. Lessons learned should not be ignored when there is nothing to lose.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if that is true than they sure blew it with Davis. He is not on the team and won't be until he's ready. Can't wait? You can say that about all minor league players. Of course they won't wait. Guarantee someone will play there. Meanwhile Gallo will be in AAA trying to improve like all of them. He may never make it but he will not be hurting the team in the meantime. Most of us recognize how bad he has been but that was exactly what happened in case of Chris Davis. A little patience would have made a big difference in today's 1st baseman. Lessons learned should not be ignored when there is nothing to lose.

Yes Gallo is definitely worth a 40 man roster spot and my guess is just like Profar will not be moved unless SP is involved. I hope they are patient with Gallo.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not ready to give on him just don't want to go in next season hoping that maybe he will suddenly turn it round while we suffer with his not being able to come close to hitting major league pitching

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell if i was a mlb manager i might walk the batter in front of him every time just to face Gallo

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you would march him out there every day and watch him strike out 2 or 3 times a game

No.....I would have in at AAA to begin the season.

If you go back and look at your post # 470, you weren't at all clear about him being with the big club.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you would march him out there every day and watch him strike out 2 or 3 times a game
Not at this point, but at some point that is exactly how it is going to go for a few weeks after he begins to play every day. Be ready, because when he does come up there will definitely be an adjustment period. I belive the number Thad Levine used for how many Plate Appearances in a season it would take for Chris Davis to start hitting well was 500. That very well might be the case for Gallo as well.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I belive the number Thad Levine used for how many Plate Appearances in a season it would take for Chris Davis to start hitting well was 500. That very well might be the case for Gallo as well.

For whatever it's worth, Davis had about 950 ab with us over his 3+ seasons (about 350 games), with over 400 ab coming in 2009.

It seems that the team just couldn't deal with his K rate at that point in time. I think they weren't willing to wait on him to b/c the Chris Davis he is today, and honestly, I understood that at the time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever it's worth, Davis had about 950 ab with us over his 3+ seasons (about 350 games), with over 400 ab coming in 2009.

It seems that the team just couldn't deal with his K rate at that point in time. I think they weren't willing to wait on him to b/c the Chris Davis he is today, and honestly, I understood that at the time.
Levine wasn't referring to the total number of PA in Davis's career. He was referring to playing him regularly enough that he would get 500 PA in one season. We were never able to do that, but when Baltimore did that is when Chris blossomed. The front office knew before we traded him that that is what it would take and chose to not be that patient. It didn't take Chris until he got that many in a season to do well, but he had to play regularly enough to be on course for those many PA in a season before he could become who he had the potential to become.