• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I suppose it would be creative to reup Dutch and then move him if we thought the market likes his option price. Interesting article

This thought crossed my mind the other day when discussing Derek

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I suppose it would be creative to reup Dutch and then move him if we thought the market likes his option price. Interesting article
We do need to work harder at developing and Keeping our minor league starters so that we can supply our own needs in that area. That may force us to spend a lot more in free agency for a couple of years than we have so we don't have to make big improvements at the trade deadline. It might also involve moving a good veteran such as Odor and a reliever so we can restock our upper levels with guys who can help us beginning this summer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The acquisition moved injury-riddled Robinson Chirinos from a below-average starter to a strong backup. In limited at-bats, Chirinos hit .364 (12 for 33) with five walks over the final six weeks of the season. In that same stretch, pitchers had a 3.56 ERA with him behind the plate. He was definitely an asset as a backup.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might also involve moving a good veteran such as Odor and a reliever so we can restock our upper levels with guys who can help us beginning this summer.

I just might have been on to something with "considering" the moving of Odor. Not anxious to see it, but I do think the thought is on the table.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good article, and thanks for the post.

My only problem with your suggestion is, who's going to get the ball every 5th day? I'm very much concerned with our SP situation, or lack of, going into the 2017 season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My only problem with your suggestion is, who's going to get the ball every 5th day? I'm very much concerned with our SP situation, or lack of, going into the 2017 season.
Me too Don. I can't really see the trees for the forest with this pitching hurdle in the way. Some how I see Profar/ Odor as history.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well to me if the market think he he is worth the money of the option the new he becomes a tradeable commodity regardless of where we are at at pitching wise. JD said we will need to be creative aka we ain't getting in a bidding war. But of course if we did pick him up maybe he has a predeal
Already made. Just scattershooting

I think he is an overpay for a 5 The market may think differently

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need to work harder at developing and Keeping our minor league starters so that we can supply our own needs in that area. That may force us to spend a lot more in free agency for a couple of years than we have so we don't have to make big improvements at the trade deadline. It might also involve moving a good veteran such as Odor and a reliever so we can restock our upper levels with guys who can help us beginning this summer.

I would hope we would also draft a few more pitchers proportionally Wonder how Mike M will progress

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is an overpay for a 5 The market may think differently

Honestly Kelley, you are almost obsessed with "over-paying."

In Hollands case, he'll get, IMO, at least a $8 mil deal with incentives to reach the $11 we had with him, maybe more. We have an opportunity to get him at a slightly overpaid rate. But if and only if, the team thinks he can be a ML pitcher in 2017, regardless of slotting in the rotation.

What does a one year year loss of 2/3/4 million bucks make for a hill-of-shit really?

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you be okay with his slugging going down as long as his BA goes up?
Yes. His swing was terrible. Didn't have a prayer of making contact. And hitting.240 in AAA not going to cut it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. His swing was terrible. Didn't have a prayer of making contact. And hitting.240 in AAA not going to cut it.
I said he should hit at least 270 in AAA if we expect him to hit 250 or better in mlb. Just my guess but doesn't seem unreasonable. Honestly if he does either will be a big surprise.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope we would also draft a few more pitchers proportionally Wonder how Mike M will progress
I think we have drafted a ton of pitchers over the last few years. We either trade them away or they don't pan out very often when they stay here. I would like to improve the drafting part, the development part and the keeping them here part. All three areas need improvement.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see him hit for a much higher average than .240 at AAA, but when he gets up here I will settle for .240-.250 if his OPS is up around .900. Of course if he ever achieves up here what he did at Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago it would shock all of us.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see him hit for a much higher average than .240 at AAA, but when he gets up here I will settle for .240-.250 if his OPS is up around .900. Of course if he ever achieves up here what he did at Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago it would shock all of us.
We are not far apart here.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The few times he has been called up, he has been way over matched by major pitching. If he can only hit .240 at AAA, no way he is going to hit .240 or above in the big leagues. I still think it was a mistake to even call him up in September. Whoever got to Gomez, I wish they could get to Gallo.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly Kelley, you are almost obsessed with "over-paying."

In Hollands case, he'll get, IMO, at least a $8 mil deal with incentives to reach the $11 we had with him, maybe more. We have an opportunity to get him at a slightly overpaid rate. But if and only if, the team thinks he can be a ML pitcher in 2017, regardless of slotting in the rotation.

What does a one year year loss of 2/3/4 million bucks make for a hill-of-shit really?

Maybe right and real issue is if we think he is a MLB pitcher. I am just wondering if 11 million is best spent elsewhere and roll the dice with another pitcher. Would you rather have a Caf signing and not Dutch due to savings? Of course I am special tong there is a fixed budget.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes Gallo was a phenom in the minors. A unicorn that you don't give up easily on. 900 OPS which in my mind if he makes some adjustments is. Rey doable and then we get what we thought we had all along. 2016 was a disaster for Gallo and maybe his callup hurt his psyche. Hope he grow up some in Venezuela assuming that will temper his emotions

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More to come on this from me, but I have noticed over the past couple seasons in seeing Joey, that he almost undoubtably has some sort/form of tourettes and I am not sure when this happened or if he has been playing through it most of his life? I have searched the internet w no real answers to the question that I could find. Clearly though he has a tick of some sort and I do not know how he can be a professional baseball hitter with this condition. If he overcomes it and is what he was touted, much praise for the kid. If so, I cant discount his efforts in anyway.

I know the situation very well as i have lived it for the last 8 years. I have a step daughter that has medically induced tourettes from being prescribed Ridlin at age 8. It is very tough to overcome for a non athlete and I would assume it affects Joey in his efforts in some way. Nothing but the best of luck to him

Last edited: