• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of left handed power bats, anyone hear any updates on Josh Hamilton?
Nothing but it's hard to think he has much value left in the tank.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so broken hearted the Blue Jays go down 4 to 1. He he he he

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so broken hearted the Blue Jays go down 4 to 1. He he he he

Just have to mention the fact that The Crawler wanted us to play Cleveland in the first round because we would have a better chance than with the Jays. Hahahahahahah

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have to mention the fact that The Crawler wanted us to play Cleveland in the first round because we would have a better chance than with the Jays. Hahahahahahah
Would have been an interesting series. And the Cubs are slumping. Tough times for the two top teams for each league.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you see what happened to us against the Jays? Cleveland was the better option, then and now.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see what happened to us against the Jays? Cleveland was the better option, then and now.
Yes I did and also saw what Cleveland did to the J's. Cleveland beat the team that beat us. So how can you think it would make any difference not to mention our rotation could not have beaten either.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't hit or pitch good enough to beat any playoff team. The Blue Jays looked tough against us because of our pitiful performance.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't hit or pitch good enough to beat any playoff team. The Blue Jays looked tough against us because of our pitiful performance.

If your SP's give up 7 , 5, and 5 and none could make it out of the 4th inning, you aren't winning any playoff games, when other teams Sp are getting outs and not giving up runs and your offense is poor at best.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you address the pitching problems for the Rangers? Anybody out there you would go get in free agency or the trade market?

Kevin Sherrington: Same guys they checked out at deadline: Sale, Gray, etc. Some questions about whether Gray is damaged goods now. Might be time to make a deal, though. The Rangers have to get lucky on a No. 3, and Jon Daniels has a track record of being lucky on these lower-risk propositions. Don't know if Gray would qualify for that label. I've always liked Jeremy Hellickson, who's a free agent. The Rangers need to find a guy with some upside who, for whatever reason, just hasn't put it together. Hellickson qualifies. Look at what Toronto did this season with Estrada and Happ. Who saw that coming?

Would you overpay right now for Ian Desmond? Seems like he's a locker room favorite, right? And if you think about it, his cheap deal last year was a bargain so it evens out.

Kevin Sherrington: First of all, deals don't even out. You have to pay for a team now, and no one's giving you credit for that. Daniels says the payroll will be roughly the same as last year, which was, I think, the eighth-highest in baseball. If that's so, they've got some decisions to make.

They won't re-sign Mitch Moreland, and if they don't add a bat at first, it probably means they're going to try at least a platoon of Gallo/Rua, which would be much cheaper. If they don't pick up Derek Holland's $11M option, that would save some money. But they're going to need to add considerable dollars if they go after a No. 3 starter, which I think is critical. Also a DH. Re-signing Carlos Gomez and Carlos Beltran probably takes the money you save on Moreland and Holland. Gomez would be considerably cheaper than Desmond, I think, and you might even get him on a one-year deal. Don't forget extensions on Darvish and Lucroy, too.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offseason issues: Why Rangers face tough decision in what to do with Joey Gallo | SportsDay

This may be the most difficult decision because I'm not sure Gallo can demonstrate enough progress, regardless of his results in Venezuela, to earn the job. I'm also not sure if his value is high enough to allow him to front a deal for a middle-of-the-rotation (or better) pitcher, which would be the only reason to give up on him. The Rangers have long valued his talent and they now have a position waiting for him. Going with Gallo at first seems to be cost-efficient in terms of dollars and talent, but they better have a Plan B in case he continues to average a strikeout every 1.9 at-bats.

Plan B would almost certainly be a third reunion with Mike Napoli.

Napoli could provide some protection in case, particularly against left-handed pitching, for Gallo early in the season. He could DH if not needed at first base. Then it becomes a question of whether the team pursues Carlos Beltran or Napoli as the primary DH/insurance policy. Both are tremendous teammates and both could have impact on other players -- Beltran on Carlos Gomez; Napoli on Gallo. But they can probably only pursue one, not both.

Decisions, decisions.