• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your "cautious attitude" toward Lewis.

Wondering, would Colby sign a "incentive laden" contract with us? Like $3.5 mil plus a chance to get another 3.5?

Also, would Griffin take a minor league deal with an invitation to ST?

Griffinis not a FA and I think he has aother option to start in minors. Won't swear to 2nd part

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't resign Yu, who you going to replace him with. And if Hamels wasn't injured, then the way he pitched in the second half should be a concern.

Maybe this guy is available.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's that word IF again. We all hope for Colby but also reason for concern.
It seems like where pitching is concerned "ifs" always seem to abound. It seems a lot of "ifs" abound with us when it comes to position players as well. That may just be the nature of the beast.

I do think we could look at Colby coming back from injury as being a legitimate excuse for his slide in Sept./Oct.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffinis not a FA and I think he has aother option to start in minors. Won't swear to 2nd part
I believe you are right. He should be AAA insurance next year. We need at least 1 or 2 more guys like that.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie, if this new stadium deal gets some wheels then maybe the influx of money to be generated wil be the leverage to sign Yu with the customary player opt out clause. I can see this. Finally a budget increase. Haha.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you're referring to my post and not DT's, b/c your response to DT makes no sense.

2 of Holland/Griffin/Lewis - honestly, I meant to include Martinez in the group initially - means we automatically suck for 2017.

Then, if this is what we do are you out for next season as far as watching/posting?

nope i will support the team like i have since the day they moved here. i will just have somewhat lower expectations

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what will happen with Moreland. Some have mentioned Rua, Profar or Gallo for the position. Gallo is out imo for the obvious. Rua and Profar are not the power bats that I would like to see at 1B. What do you guys think.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like where pitching is concerned "ifs" always seem to abound. It seems a lot of "ifs" abound with us when it comes to position players as well. That may just be the nature of the beast.

I do think we could look at Colby coming back from injury as being a legitimate excuse for his slide in Sept./Oct.
Agree and don't rule out anything.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what will happen with Moreland. Some have mentioned Rua, Profar or Gallo for the position. Gallo is out imo for the obvious. Rua and Profar are not the power bats that I would like to see at 1B. What do you guys think.
Play Rua against left handlers and Profar against right handlers.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play Rua against left handlers and Profar against right handlers.
I want a left hand power bat there. Somehow I think Profar is going to be involved in a trade.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing personal against Dutch. Really don't care whether he had a dog accident or ice skating accident. What I do care about is finding a #3 starter and if he is somehow retained than I will cheer for him. My logic says that regardless of what he is paid he does not look like a number 3 starter. Here's the logic. He has not performed like on since his brief September fling years ago. So we think he is going to improve? Yes his velo is down and yes craft and marksmanship can theoretically make up for it but it is only theory not proven. What we do know is that his performance has digressed. Really don't care about this hard luck tight market. Oh yes I hate to give up talent and I have been a huge Profar fan but my guess he gets move and for what? Pitching, we may move one of our surplus relievers as well.

Please we are not so desperate at this point for Dutch. But yes we need pitching. But 11.5 million for a number 5 rotation guy if that.

So yeah we have a difference of opinion which is ok. Love Dutch to give me a sign I am wrong in my assessment. Very stand up guy when he has blown it and admitted he did not deserve to be on playoff roster. Rangers considered him not to be a 3 so I guess we forget what has happened.

Honestly you guys should know better. The avg SP salary is about 5 Mill. It is not like we are looking for unicorns.
His velocity did pick back up late in the year.

I disagree. I think we are rather desperate for pitching. Here are three things when combined that make us desperate. First thing is that we don't have any prospects ready to make the move to the big leagues. The second thing is the fact that the free agent starting pitching market is very weak. The third thing is that we have traded so many prospects lately that we would really harm our future by putting together a package to land a #3 starter.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His velocity did pick back up late in the year.

I disagree. I think we are rather desperate for pitching. Here are three things when combined that make us desperate. First thing is that we don't have any prospects ready to make the move to the big leagues. The second thing is the fact that the free agent starting pitching market is very weak. The third thing is that we have traded so many prospects lately that we would really harm our future by putting together a package to land a #3 starter.
Donaldson commented earlier we may have to use one and maybe two of Derek/Colby or AJ. I think he has made a good point although if off season /ST can correct just one and get em' back on track it would be a blessing in disguise.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's the excitement in 15 HR's a year and about 50 RBI?

i was suggesting a LH bat to alternate with Rua sorry i was thinking alternatives if Profar was traded. Forgot that only certain people can make suggestions