• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot that only certain people can make suggestions

Someone's wearing their feelings on their shoulder today.

Relax partner. No one's gunning for ya.

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm guessing Gallo's trade value is at the lowest it's ever been, so giving up on him, at the ripe old age of 22, and not getting much back definitely doesn't seem like the route to go.

For me, put him back at AAA and let's work on his swing to get his K rate down to bad instead of terrible. Frankly, if he can do this, then the strikeouts don't concern me nearly as much as long as he keeps getting walks and blasts 30+ HRs.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Gallo's trade value is at the lowest it's ever been, so giving up on him, at the ripe old age of 22, and not getting much back definitely doesn't seem like the route to go.

For me, put him back at AAA and let's work on his swing to get his K rate down to bad instead of terrible. Frankly, if he can do this, then the strikeouts don't concern me nearly as much as long as he keeps getting walks and blasts 30+ HRs.
That is what I thought as well. I was surprised to see about half of those polled chose to trade him. They must be fans of the team they want us to trade with. They must be looking for a bargain. lol

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I thought as well. I was surprised to see about half of those polled chose to trade him. They must be fans of the team they want us to trade with. They must be looking for a bargain. lol

he has no position with the Rangers with being blocked by Beltre at 3rd so logically hebecomes tradebait

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well stud you would you platoon with Rua?
I will get back with you on that later. Let's see how some things shake out first. That may not even work out to be a platoon situation. It is hard to tell at this point who we are going to make available for trade and what kind of money we are going to spend at other positions. We may have some money to spend at 1B and we may not. We may get a 1B candidate back in trade and we may not.

I also have not been convinced this early in his career that Ryan Rua can't play everyday in the big leagues.

A lot of it depends on how this organization views Joey Gallo's future. If they are still bullish on him and project him to play 1B they won't go out and find more than a short term option(s) for 1B.

There are a lot of things to untangle here before I can have an opinion as to what I want them to do at 1B.

You can want Morrison though. You have every right to that opinion. Just giving you a bit of a hard time. I have had my share of "we can make a player of his type work for us" ideas.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has no position with the Rangers with being blocked by Beltre at 3rd so logically hebecomes tradebait
He is not locked into having to play 3B when he gets here. There are other options for him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is not locked into having to play 3B when he gets here. There are other options for him.

Let's keep in mind a few things about Gallo. First, he's 22 so we can tap the brakes some on when he's "got to be here." Second, if he can become Adam Dunn then he'll have a spot and it's called DH. Third, I know I keep saying this, but Beltre can't keep playing forever. ha ha ha

But saddles is right, he doesn't have to be a 3rd baseman. 1st or corner OF to me seems like a possibilities. What I really don't want to see is for the team to move him to RF, oh wait, let's move him back to 1st. Naw, let's put him back at 3rd, his "natural position." Don't do to him what they've done with Profar basically.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's keep in mind a few things about Gallo. First, he's 22 so we can tap the brakes some on when he's "got to be here." Second, if he can become Adam Dunn then he'll have a spot and it's called DH. Third, I know I keep saying this, but Beltre can't keep playing forever. ha ha ha

But saddles is right, he doesn't have to be a 3rd baseman. 1st or corner OF to me seems like a possibilities. What I really don't want to see is for the team to move him to RF, oh wait, let's move him back to 1st. Naw, let's put him back at 3rd, his "natural position." Don't do to him what they've done with Profar basically.
I wouldn't mind them making a one time move back to 3B when Adrian retires. Nothing like they have done with Profar though.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have hit this Dutch thing ad nausem. We have a definite difference of opinion.
Re Gallo. Yeah value is low but he has winter ball, ST, and likely AAA ball to figure it out. Maybe he becomes 1B even sooner than we think. Nomad is a potential 1B candidate. Guzman in minors Rua and Profar---- end result don't trade for 1B.

Need SP. btw SP a great salary close to 5 mill. Still not desperate though

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind when discussing 1B is that Guzman may be ready in 2018 if not at some point in 2017. He certainly can't be counted on for 2017 at this point, but he seems to be on his way here sooner or later.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind when discussing 1B is that Guzman may be ready in 2018 if not at some point in 2017. He certainly can't be counted on for 2017 at this point, but he seems to be on his way here sooner or later.
Maybe, he didn't hit well in AAA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of left handed power bats, anyone hear any updates on Josh Hamilton?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what left handed power bat would you go after.

Not sure yet. But I think he'll get around $7 mil per, and probably for 2 years (maybe more), and if we're seriously going to consider this, then I'd rather try to keep Moreland. He won't cost much more than Morrison.

Today, I'm not opposed to at least thinking about the platoon of Rua/Profar.

But my point on Morrison is, I'm not excited about a guy who played about 60% of the time at 1st over the past two years, and is considered a fair D player, with some pop.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably on an island of one here, but unless we've got a "true DH" I'd like to see this position, the DH, to be utilized by multi players. A guy like Encarnacion certainly fills that bill.

But for example, if the 2017 season started today and we had a platoon of Rua/Profar at 1st, then there's a lot of DH at bats there. Then with rest for Odor, and frankly, unless his glove/judgement gets a lot better, he should get some serious time here, with Profar sliding over to 2nd.

Almost like a NL line-up but having the advantage of the DH to give players rest and rotation.

Not sure I'm stating my case very clearly here. ha