• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offseason issues: Why Rangers face tough decision in what to do with Joey Gallo | SportsDay

This may be the most difficult decision because I'm not sure Gallo can demonstrate enough progress, regardless of his results in Venezuela, to earn the job. I'm also not sure if his value is high enough to allow him to front a deal for a middle-of-the-rotation (or better) pitcher, which would be the only reason to give up on him. The Rangers have long valued his talent and they now have a position waiting for him. Going with Gallo at first seems to be cost-efficient in terms of dollars and talent, but they better have a Plan B in case he continues to average a strikeout every 1.9 at-bats.

Plan B would almost certainly be a third reunion with Mike Napoli.

Napoli could provide some protection in case, particularly against left-handed pitching, for Gallo early in the season. He could DH if not needed at first base. Then it becomes a question of whether the team pursues Carlos Beltran or Napoli as the primary DH/insurance policy. Both are tremendous teammates and both could have impact on other players -- Beltran on Carlos Gomez; Napoli on Gallo. But they can probably only pursue one, not both.

Decisions, decisions.

if Gallo is Plan A, then Plan A has a 98% chance of failure.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diekman got a B? That's a joke.
I think that is because he pitched in 66 games and was scored on in only 11 of those. About half of those came in a one month stretch. He shouldn't have been added to the postseason roster, but overall I think he had a good year. Last year he was scored on in 16 of 57 games and we all thought he pitch great because only 3 of those came in his last 26 games which was when he pitched here. He had an even better 26 game stretch here this year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is because he pitched in 66 games and was scored on in only 11 of those. About half of those came in a one month stretch. He shouldn't have been added to the postseason roster, but overall I think he had a good year. Last year he was scored on in 16 of 57 games and we all thought he pitch great because only 3 of those came in his last 26 games which was when he pitched here. He had an even better 26 game stretch here this year.

like you said the grade is based on the whole year

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offseason issues: Why Rangers face tough decision in what to do with Joey Gallo | SportsDay

This may be the most difficult decision because I'm not sure Gallo can demonstrate enough progress, regardless of his results in Venezuela, to earn the job. I'm also not sure if his value is high enough to allow him to front a deal for a middle-of-the-rotation (or better) pitcher, which would be the only reason to give up on him. The Rangers have long valued his talent and they now have a position waiting for him. Going with Gallo at first seems to be cost-efficient in terms of dollars and talent, but they better have a Plan B in case he continues to average a strikeout every 1.9 at-bats.

Plan B would almost certainly be a third reunion with Mike Napoli.

Napoli could provide some protection in case, particularly against left-handed pitching, for Gallo early in the season. He could DH if not needed at first base. Then it becomes a question of whether the team pursues Carlos Beltran or Napoli as the primary DH/insurance policy. Both are tremendous teammates and both could have impact on other players -- Beltran on Carlos Gomez; Napoli on Gallo. But they can probably only pursue one, not both.

Decisions, decisions.

Plan B is Napoli who is 99.9% sure to re-sign with the Indians. Hope the Rangers have a Plan C & D

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo is a "wish come true" that hasn't. He has got to show he can hit mlb pitching before he gets serious consideration again.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe plan A at 1B, is guy that hit below .050. Gallo couldn't make contact much less have a chance to get a hit.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Hoying shouldn't rated a C either.
True. He should not be on the 40 man at all. Like Gallo, if he improves at the plate then of course that's different.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SP ROTATION
1. Y. Darvish
2. C. Hamels
3. Unknown SP
4. M. Perez
5. C. Lewis-likely signing

D. Holland-non tender

MILB ROTATION POTENTIAL CALLUPS
6. A. Griffin
7. Y. Mendez- crossing fingers
8. N. Martinez
9. CC Gonzalez
10. C Sadzeck

Bubble- L Harrell- may lose him

We shall see how this plays out

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SP ROTATION
1. Y. Darvish
2. C. Hamels
3. Unknown SP
4. M. Perez

D. Holland-non tender

6. A. Griffin
8. N. Martinez
9. CC Gonzalez
10. C Sadzeck

Hope it doesn't stay exactly like this. Numbers 3 5 7 9 10 are concerning to me. Like you said,we shall see.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SP ROTATION
1. Y. Darvish
2. C. Hamels
3. Unknown SP
4. M. Perez

D. Holland-non tender

6. A. Griffin
8. N. Martinez
9. CC Gonzalez
10. C Sadzeck

Well thought out SP situation. :clap:

Now, if you had a vote/guess right now, are you thinking the #3 spot will come via trade, FA, or don't-give-a-shit as long as we get someone?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope it doesn't stay exactly like this. Numbers 3 5 7 9 10 are concerning to me. Like you said,we shall see.

To get a good 3 would be huge. Cheech year is make it break it. Colby can maybe eat innings. Mendez as a second call up is a likely stretch but maybe a good spring helps. Nick is real iffy too.

There is of course a chance AJ is one of the 5 but we will have no solid depth and likely on market ASB

just put it up to get ball rolling. Sure there are other ideas

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now, if you had a vote/guess right now, are you thinking the #3 spot will come via trade, FA, or don't-give-a-shit as long as we get someone?

My guess is we package Profar and a one of our relievers like Kela who shoots fire and one other MILB player. Just a shot in the dark.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get a good 3 would be huge. Cheech year is make it break it. Colby can maybe eat innings. Mendez as a second call up is a likely stretch but maybe a good spring helps. Nick is real iffy too.

There is of course a chance AJ is one of the 5 but we will have no solid depth and likely on market ASB

just put it up to get ball rolling. Sure there are other ideas

So much to do makes it difficult to know which way FO wants to go first with the money

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought all along is Profar will be involved in a trade this year. Bouncing him around 2017 is a waste so a trade seems logical.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll go with the D G A S :heh:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda quite in here. :scratch:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I have not found current data on was the median salary for SP in the majors- I was thinking it was just over 5 million but not sure. Obviously getting SP on the Free agency market is much more expensive esp for TORP and even MORP like a 3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought all along is Profar will be involved in a trade this year. Bouncing him around 2017 is a waste so a trade seems logical.

Being devils advocate here.....Odor goes and we put Profar at 2nd.

Odor's value has got to be pretty high.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I have not found current data on was the median salary for SP in the majors- I was thinking it was just over 5 million but not sure. Obviously getting SP on the Free agency market is much more expensive esp for TORP and even MORP like a 3
FA cost may be higher since so few are out there. That's why Profar is a valuable trade piece