• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a Hicks owned bankrupt team so if they decide to keep Derek and he is overpaid by a couple of million dollars then that isn't a real problem. That can easily be seen as a $2 million gamble in case he does rebound somewhat to become a better pitcher than he has been. If he does then you have him maybe at a bargain in 2017 and 2018. If not there is no real harm done to the budget.

sorry but i would not just cheerfully pay him $11M on the chance he might get better. I would pass on the option, pay the $1.5M buyout and then work to re-sign him at what is his true value that of a #5

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been the biggest Nick Martinez fan for quite some time, but I am of the opinion now that he might be best in a bullpen role. I would keep him in the rotation at AAA, but his best role up here other than an emergency starter might just be as a reliever.

agree

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it would be prudent business to approach him with an extension in order to gauge his interest and set some negotiating boundaries.

If the Ranger feel they can't or won't sign him to a longer term future than 2017, then perhaps a barn-burner trade might be in order.

If Darvish wants $30 mil for 5 years are you willing to do this?

$30M for 5 years? there are teams that will offer him $100M for those 5 years

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$30M for 5 years? there are teams that will offer him $100M for those 5 years

I mis-posted.....most would have figured that out however, since Colby Lewis gets considerably more.

How about this, $30 mil PER SEASON? Ya got any comments of lore for this question?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mis-posted.....most would have figured that out however, since Colby Lewis gets considerably more.

How about this, $30 mil PER SEASON? Ya got any comments of lore for this question?

sorry should have realized. My bad.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do 6/150 for Yu, but as an extension.

IMO you'd be way over paying per his production. Not that he may not get this type of money from someone. In fact, he probably will. It just wouldn't be from me.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO you'd be way over paying per his production. Not that he may not get this type of money from someone. In fact, he probably will. It just wouldn't be from me.
I think he has a chance to be the best pitcher in the AL during most of that time. That means to me that $25 million per year is doable. That is especially true given the fact that we have never once been able to go out and sign an ace on the open market.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry but i would not just cheerfully pay him $11M on the chance he might get better. I would pass on the option, pay the $1.5M buyout and then work to re-sign him at what is his true value that of a #5
In that scenario I believe you are underestimating what he will get on the open market, especially on a 1 year deal. The free agent pitching market is extremely weak and that will affect the price of starters. There is also a good chance that some other team offers him a 2 year deal. I think once we decide not to use the option that he is as good as gone. We need pitching too desperately to let that happen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has a chance to be the best pitcher in the AL during most of that time. That means to me that $25 million per year is doable. That is especially true given the fact that we have never once been able to go out and sign an ace on the open market.

I strongly suspect what you've just said is the prevailing thought by most on here.

But Yu very much conflicts me, from several standpoints. (1) Injuries, and I'm not just referring to his TJ surgery. In fact, I give him a mulligan on it b/c it seems this is almost SOP in today's game. But he's been on the DL 7 other times for numerous injuries not including his elbow. This normally gets no better with age. (2) He gives up an awful lot of HR's. (3) He's overrated as a strikeout pitcher. His K to W ratio is slightly better than 3-1 and that's good, but not elite. It's not even as good as Hamels.

On the other hand, when he's on he's damn near unhittable. He does get the key K, which is underrated. Plus, I think he enjoys it here, and should get better with a more stable catching situation. Additionally, he also shown, when healthy, he can rack up some innings.

I guess I'm not sure if the concerns out weigh the positives. Frankly, glad I don't have to make the decision to invest or walk away. But like I said earlier, this off season is the time to determine if the team thinks they can sign him long term and at a rate which is affordable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that scenario I believe you are underestimating what he will get on the open market, especially on a 1 year deal. The free agent pitching market is extremely weak and that will affect the price of starters. There is also a good chance that some other team offers him a 2 year deal. I think once we decide not to use the option that he is as good as gone. We need pitching too desperately to let that happen.

Damn saddles. I very seldom agree with everything you say, but I sure think each and every sentence is right on here. :clap:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have nothing personal against Dutch. Really don't care whether he had a dog accident or ice skating accident. What I do care about is finding a #3 starter and if he is somehow retained than I will cheer for him. My logic says that regardless of what he is paid he does not look like a number 3 starter. Here's the logic. He has not performed like on since his brief September fling years ago. So we think he is going to improve? Yes his velo is down and yes craft and marksmanship can theoretically make up for it but it is only theory not proven. What we do know is that his performance has digressed. Really don't care about this hard luck tight market. Oh yes I hate to give up talent and I have been a huge Profar fan but my guess he gets move and for what? Pitching, we may move one of our surplus relievers as well.

Please we are not so desperate at this point for Dutch. But yes we need pitching. But 11.5 million for a number 5 rotation guy if that.

So yeah we have a difference of opinion which is ok. Love Dutch to give me a sign I am wrong in my assessment. Very stand up guy when he has blown it and admitted he did not deserve to be on playoff roster. Rangers considered him not to be a 3 so I guess we forget what has happened.

Honestly you guys should know better. The avg SP salary is about 5 Mill. It is not like we are looking for unicorns.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing personal against Dutch. Really don't care whether he had a dog accident or ice skating accident. What I do care about is finding a #3 starter and if he is somehow retained than I will cheer for him. My logic says that regardless of what he is paid he does not look like a number 3 starter. Here's the logic. He has not performed like on since his brief September fling years ago. So we think he is going to improve? Yes his velo is down and yes craft and marksmanship can theoretically make up for it but it is only theory not proven. What we do know is that his performance has digressed. Really don't care about this hard luck tight market. Oh yes I hate to give up talent and I have been a huge Profar fan but my guess he gets move and for what? Pitching, we may move one of our surplus relievers as well.

Please we are not so desperate at this point for Dutch. But yes we need pitching. But 11.5 million for a number 5 rotation guy if that.

So yeah we have a difference of opinion which is ok. Love Dutch to give me a sign I am wrong in my assessment. Very stand up guy when he has blown it and admitted he did not deserve to be on playoff roster. Rangers considered him not to be a 3 so I guess we forget what has happened.

Honestly you guys should know better. The avg SP salary is about 5 Mill. It is not like we are looking for unicorns.

have to agree, Holland right now is only worth what a #5 gets and that ain't 11.5M

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid Bauer and his finger

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli bomb

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love seeing Blue Jays struggle. Down again.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only time I pulled for Crisp.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2