• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha ha ha.....Isn't that an amazing quote? And Gallo hit better than .040 in the minors, but he wasn't exactly a barn-burner there either.

It looks like he needs to start at AAA and stay at AAA until he shows he can hit with any type of consistency. And honestly, the strikeouts don't concern me as much as his lack of productivity when he does hit the ball.

If he turns into Adam Dunn, I'd love it. Put him at 1st/DH for the next decade. But I don't think that decade starts in 2017.
He would have to hit .270 to .280 in AAA for me to call him up.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the issue is basically a couple million dollars? So you go and hunt down a pitcher and waste resources looking for MAYBE a slightly better pitcher than Holland for less or similar money?

No the issue is if you reup at 11 mill then you should expect him to fill a #3 role. Our lack of pitching depth was exposed. So you don't do that and shop for a #3. If later he is unsigned and you can lowball him as a #5 saving more than a couple of mill the go ahead if the market is dry and need a fallback. (I really doubt that is he case). Waste is not my opinion. Others may think it is a pipe-dream to go that route. Real question is you think he or Perez is your 3. I think it is a overpay and by more than a couple of million. He is barring a complete turnaround at best a 5 which is more than a 2 million overpay IMO

Also who else will want him at 11 million? This would not be a purchase for value or overpay for need that will be likely met

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the issue is if you reup at 11 mill then you should expect him to fill a #3 role. Our lack of pitching depth was exposed. So you don't do that and shop for a #3. If later he is unsigned and you can lowball him as a #5 saving more than a couple of mill the go ahead if the market is dry and need a fallback. (I really doubt that is he case). Waste is not my opinion. Others may think it is a pipe-dream to go that route. Real question is you think he or Perez is your 3. I think it is a overpay and by more than a couple of million. He is barring a complete turnaround at best a 5 which is more than a 2 million overpay IMO

Also who else will want him at 11 million? This would not be a purchase for value or overpay for need that will be likely met

#3's make more than 11 per year

But by all means, find your #3 on that list, I think it's already been stated that Hellickson will get the QO, and Moore's option will be picked up, and I think they're the only one on that list I'd be willing to say that about

Brett Anderson
Bronson Arroyo
Brandon Beachy
Andrew Cashner
John Danks
Jorge de la Rosa
R.A. Dickey
Scott Feldman
Jaime Garcia
Gio Gonzalez *
Jeremy Guthrie
Jason Hammel *
Jeremy Hellickson
Derek Holland *
Daniel Hudson
Edwin Jackson
Cliff Lee
Cory Luebke
Kris Medlen *
Matt Moore *
Charlie Morton *
Jon Niese *
Ivan Nova
Jake Peavy
Edinson Volquez *
Jered Weaver
C.J. Wilson
Travis Wood

For good measure, the pitchers making more than Holland next year; Sale and MadBum are obviously outliers and steals; point is, you want a #3 you're paying more than Holland's 11 million more than likely, unless you sign them to an extension early in their careers
Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 8.43.48 PM.png

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the guys directly below Holland.... Point is, there are about 5 guys on either of these lists I would for sure take over Holland, and 4 are Sale, MadBum, Kluber & Darvish and all of those are team friendly extensions minus Darvish

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 8.49.29 PM.png

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought for example Gallardo was an overpay at 11 mill but probably last years Gallardo would be better then next years Dutch. But FWIW I think we are trading and pick up a number 3 that route vs FA in a thin markete. All makes for an interesting set of moves once we declare our roster and QO deadlines are passed

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought for example Gallardo was an overpay at 11 mill but probably last years Gallardo would be better then next years Dutch. But FWIW I think we are trading and pick up a number 3 that route vs FA in a thin markete. All makes for an interesting set of moves once we declare our roster and QO deadlines are passed

That's going to further deplete a farm system that took a huge shot this past season

Still need a 4 & 5 and based on what people get paid, Holland's 11 million isn't a gross overpay, and the FA options aren't much better and won't be any cheaper

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the guys directly below Holland.... Point is, there are about 5 guys on either of these lists I would for sure take over Holland, and 4 are Sale, MadBum, Kluber & Darvish and all of those are team friendly extensions minus Darvish

View attachment 149823

Holland is the one on the list who doesn't rate $11M. He is not a number 3 just because he is being paid like one

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's going to further deplete a farm system that took a huge shot this past season

Still need a 4 & 5 and based on what people get paid, Holland's 11 million isn't a gross overpay, and the FA options aren't much better and won't be any cheaper

it is a gross overpay for someone who isn't a #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a Hicks owned bankrupt team so if they decide to keep Derek and he is overpaid by a couple of million dollars then that isn't a real problem. That can easily be seen as a $2 million gamble in case he does rebound somewhat to become a better pitcher than he has been. If he does then you have him maybe at a bargain in 2017 and 2018. If not there is no real harm done to the budget.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make an offer to Yu Darvish
Perhaps it seems a little backward to start attacking 2017 by addressing something that won't affect the team until 2018, but this deal is this important.

In what will be his first full year after Tommy John surgery and armed with more knowledge and confidence in his pitch repertoire than ever, Darvish, 30, is primed for a career-defining year. Since he's a free agent after 2017, it's also the kind of year that could drive his open-market value to well above $30 million per year.

He is throwing the fastball more often (59.2 percent of the time), averaging a higher velocity (93.3 mph) and has a better strikeout to walk rate (4.3 to 1) than ever before. He was a great talent when he arrived. He's now becoming a great pitcher.

Unless the Chicago White Sox or San Francisco Giants get loopy and turn down club-friendly options on Chris Sale and Madison Bumgarner, Darvish will be the top free agent on the market. And unless Yohander Mendez and Chi Chi Gonzalez become Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez, the Rangers are still going to need top-tier pitching help.

It was interesting that, in his season post-mortem press conference, Daniels acknowledged an extension is "something we'll talk about." That's as close as he comes to publicly saying, "Oh for the love of god man, we're going to make an all-out push."

Given how much Darvish seemed to enjoy the Rangers in 2016, it's time to parlay those good feelings into substantive contract talks. The Rangers may never get a hometown discount out of those feelings, but a fair offer is more likely to be met with an open mind than if he gets to spring training and is focused solely on 2017 and impending free agency.

And, if the referendum passes to on November 8 and the Rangers get a $500 million incentive package from the City of Arlington, reinvesting about $200 million in Darvish would be a significant gesture by ownership to underscore their dedication to the club's long-term success.

Hey, good idea. Is there time to add that to the ballot?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make an offer to Yu Darvish
Perhaps it seems a little backward to start attacking 2017 by addressing something that won't affect the team until 2018, but this deal is this important.

In what will be his first full year after Tommy John surgery and armed with more knowledge and confidence in his pitch repertoire than ever, Darvish, 30, is primed for a career-defining year. Since he's a free agent after 2017, it's also the kind of year that could drive his open-market value to well above $30 million per year.

He is throwing the fastball more often (59.2 percent of the time), averaging a higher velocity (93.3 mph) and has a better strikeout to walk rate (4.3 to 1) than ever before. He was a great talent when he arrived. He's now becoming a great pitcher.

Unless the Chicago White Sox or San Francisco Giants get loopy and turn down club-friendly options on Chris Sale and Madison Bumgarner, Darvish will be the top free agent on the market. And unless Yohander Mendez and Chi Chi Gonzalez become Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez, the Rangers are still going to need top-tier pitching help.

It was interesting that, in his season post-mortem press conference, Daniels acknowledged an extension is "something we'll talk about." That's as close as he comes to publicly saying, "Oh for the love of god man, we're going to make an all-out push."

Given how much Darvish seemed to enjoy the Rangers in 2016, it's time to parlay those good feelings into substantive contract talks. The Rangers may never get a hometown discount out of those feelings, but a fair offer is more likely to be met with an open mind than if he gets to spring training and is focused solely on 2017 and impending free agency.

And, if the referendum passes to on November 8 and the Rangers get a $500 million incentive package from the City of Arlington, reinvesting about $200 million in Darvish would be a significant gesture by ownership to underscore their dedication to the club's long-term success.

Hey, good idea. Is there time to add that to the ballot?
Sounds like a plan to me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is overpaid by a couple of million dollars then that isn't a real problem. That can easily be seen as a $2 million gamble

I'm glad you brought this up. Been thinking about this for awhile now too.

It seems to me we need arms, great/good or fair, to fill out our roster for next season. I'm not a Holland fan, but at the same time, someone's gotta take the ball every 5th day.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad you brought this up. Been thinking about this for awhile now too.

It seems to me we need arms, great/good or fair, to fill out our roster for next season. I'm not a Holland fan, but at the same time, someone's gotta take the ball every 5th day.
I think some folks are letting their personal feelings for Holland do their thinking and are just looking for any opportunity to get rid of him. I just don't think this team can afford to pass up the opportunity to take a chance on him in 2017. If we had 2 or 3 really good young pitchers who were ready to step up to the big leagues then I might agree, but we are strapped for prospects and like JTA mentioned previously, trading some good prospects for a #3 pitcher might not be a good idea since we have traded away a lot of them lately.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a plan to me.

To me it would be prudent business to approach him with an extension in order to gauge his interest and set some negotiating boundaries.

If the Ranger feel they can't or won't sign him to a longer term future than 2017, then perhaps a barn-burner trade might be in order.

If Darvish wants $30 mil for 5 years are you willing to do this?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some folks are letting their personal feelings for Holland do their thinking and are just looking for any opportunity to get rid of him. I just don't think this team can afford to pass up the opportunity to take a chance on him in 2017. If we had 2 or 3 really good young pitchers who were ready to step up to the big leagues then I might agree, but we are strapped for prospects and like JTA mentioned previously, trading some good prospects for a #3 pitcher might not be a good idea since we have traded away a lot of them lately.
Another possibility: Since we're talking a #5, may be Martinez may step up like Derek stepped down. Who knows? He looked somewhat better after the last call up. And IMO don't shut the door on Holland to quickly. We need to look at all possible candidates. There you have it folks, the DT Daily Review worth absolutely zilch.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another possibility: Since we're talking a #5, may be Martinez may step up like Derek stepped down. Who knows? He looked somewhat better after the last call up. And IMO don't shut the door on Holland to quickly. We need to look at all possible candidates. There you have it folks, the DT Daily Review worth absolutely zilch.
I have been the biggest Nick Martinez fan for quite some time, but I am of the opinion now that he might be best in a bullpen role. I would keep him in the rotation at AAA, but his best role up here other than an emergency starter might just be as a reliever.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it would be prudent business to approach him with an extension in order to gauge his interest and set some negotiating boundaries.

If the Ranger feel they can't or won't sign him to a longer term future than 2017, then perhaps a barn-burner trade might be in order.

If Darvish wants $30 mil for 5 years are you willing to do this?
I wonder if that is what they did with Odor during this past season.

No, I would not go that high for Yu, unless we can get out of some of the back end years if he doesn't pitch enough innings.