• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boo hoo Blue Jays down 0-2

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boo hoo Blue Jays down 0-2

Glad to see my local boy Josh Tomlin pitch a couple good games and get a couple wins in the playoffs this year. He has had a tough start to his career w lots of injuries, but he's a great kid and deserves some success.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are two separate options though. The 2018 option isn't relevant at this point yet. If he does rebound then that second option would be very beneficial. So that option can help, but doesn't have to hurt us in any way. I don't think he gets less than $8-9 million on the open market so if we are unwilling to sign him at the option price I doubt he comes back here unless he just wants to stay really bad. I can see there being some discussion on whether it is wise to sign him at the option price, but thinking he can eventually be had for anything close to $6 million is a pipe dream in my estimation.

I do believe if Holland had played somewhere else his entire career and JD signed him to a one year deal on the open market for $9 million or so that some who are against keeping him now would be saying JD had made a good one year gamble.

Granted there are 2 separate option and yes if and I say a huge if he rebounds then th option works I our favor .......but
1. His velo is down
2 his is not able to spot pitches.
3. His slider is not what it was
4. The money he gets is #3 money.

Do you think he is worth this rate? I don't think so and if someone overpays, then more power to them.

Ps getting Desmond at 7 when Free agency began, most would consider a pipe dream. I say decline option and wait and see. What do you say?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't happen to a more deserving team. Hope they sweep them. Indians better wear hard hats if they win the series in Toronto.
Duane you're a harrrrrd man.lol:heh:

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted there are 2 separate option and yes if and I say a huge if he rebounds then th option works I our favor .......but
1. His velo is down

Do you think he is worth this rate? I don't think so and if someone overpays, then more power to them.

Ps getting Desmond at 7 when Free agency began, most would consider a pipe dream. I say decline option and wait and see. What do you say?
I think some team is going to think about his velocity showing up at 95 a few times in September and wonder if his velocity is improving. They are going to look at his history before his latest 3 injury plagued seasons and think he very well could rebound since he is not old enough to decline because of age. They are going to look at the weak free agent market and think Derek is worth a gamble or a 1 year deal in the $8-9 million range. They are going to think he is worth a gamble at that price for a year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. His velo is down

So the issue is basically a couple million dollars? So you go and hunt down a pitcher and waste resources looking for MAYBE a slightly better pitcher than Holland for less or similar money?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the issue is basically a couple million dollars? So you go and hunt down a pitcher and waste resources looking for MAYBE a slightly better pitcher than Holland for less or similar money?
You make a good point and the money is moot. Is he a valid #5 at any price?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the FW Star article by Wilson:

"the Rangers have a sure-fire first baseman in Joey Gallo ready to step in for him (MM). Gallo is seemingly the favorite, but he has a lot of learning to do. There would be no shortage of growing pains."

Sure fire 1st baseman and ready to step in. Seriously? Did this guy pay any attention to Gallo's 2016 season?

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the FW Star article by Wilson:

"the Rangers have a sure-fire first baseman in Joey Gallo ready to step in for him (MM). Gallo is seemingly the favorite, but he has a lot of learning to do. There would be no shortage of growing pains."

Sure fire 1st baseman and ready to step in. Seriously? Did this guy pay any attention to Gallo's 2016 season?
I want some of what this guy is drinking. I guess he didn't notice his .040 BA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want some of what this guy is drinking. I guess he didn't notice his .040 BA.

ha ha ha.....Isn't that an amazing quote? And Gallo hit better than .040 in the minors, but he wasn't exactly a barn-burner there either.

It looks like he needs to start at AAA and stay at AAA until he shows he can hit with any type of consistency. And honestly, the strikeouts don't concern me as much as his lack of productivity when he does hit the ball.

If he turns into Adam Dunn, I'd love it. Put him at 1st/DH for the next decade. But I don't think that decade starts in 2017.