• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most intriguing story
Pardon the Abbott and Costello routine, but, seriously, who is at first? It certainly seems like Mike Napoli will end up as part of the mix, or at least it makes sense, but, as of yet, there is no contract in hand. And if Napoli does sign, will he share the position with transformed outfielder and comeback candidate Josh Hamilton? Or James Loney? Or will the Rangers give Joey Gallo a shot to win the job? If none of the above, do the Rangers consider a Jurickson Profar-Ryan Rua platoon? And if that happens, then what do they do in the outfield. As of this moment, they don't have any answers. If and when Napoli signs, it will at least give them some peace of mind.

Biggest weakness
Over the last two years, Rougned Odor has established himself as an offensive superstar in the making, but to be regarded as one of the best all-around second basemen in the game, he must improve his footwork and fielding. Expect newly cancer free instructor Tony Beasley to throw tons of energy at this. Odor made 22 errors last year, eight more than any other second baseman.

Guy to watch
Keep an eye on Drew Robinson, who is bound to get tons of infield time early with Odor, Beltre and Jurickson Profar all at the WBC. Robinson, 24, has gained momentum in the organization in the last year and could be a super-utility type of prospect who can also play the outfield.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most intriguing story
Pardon the Abbott and Costello routine, but, seriously, who is at first? It certainly seems like Mike Napoli will end up as part of the mix, or at least it makes sense, but, as of yet, there is no contract in hand. And if Napoli does sign, will he share the position with transformed outfielder and comeback candidate Josh Hamilton? Or James Loney? Or will the Rangers give Joey Gallo a shot to win the job? If none of the above, do the Rangers consider a Jurickson Profar-Ryan Rua platoon? And if that happens, then what do they do in the outfield. As of this moment, they don't have any answers. If and when Napoli signs, it will at least give them some peace of mind.

Biggest weakness
Over the last two years, Rougned Odor has established himself as an offensive superstar in the making, but to be regarded as one of the best all-around second basemen in the game, he must improve his footwork and fielding. Expect newly cancer free instructor Tony Beasley to throw tons of energy at this. Odor made 22 errors last year, eight more than any other second baseman.

Guy to watch
Keep an eye on Drew Robinson, who is bound to get tons of infield time early with Odor, Beltre and Jurickson Profar all at the WBC. Robinson, 24, has gained momentum in the organization in the last year and could be a super-utility type of prospect who can also play the outfield.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers top prospects: How No. 10 Joe Palumbo went from closer to starter with 'knee-locking' curveball | SportsDay

Notable: When the Rangers sent right-hander Dillon Tate to the New York Yankees in the Carlos Beltran deal, they needed a starter at Low-A Hickory. The club moved Palumbo from closer to the rotation, and he had a 2.37 ERA with 39 strikeouts in 38 innings for seven starts. For the season overall, Palumbo held opponents to a .202 average with 122 strikeouts in 96 1/3 innings. He overwhelmed left-handed hitters, holding them to a .149 average with a .504 OPS for 110 plate appearances.

Palumbo, 22, serves as an example of the importance of patience in player development. A 30th-round pick in the 2013 draft, he spent two years in the rookie level Arizona League. As Palumbo has progressed, he has added strength to his body and become more effective with a knee-locking curveball to go with a mid-90 mph fastball. The Rangers will continue to look at him as a starter this season, but they will always have the option of putting him back into the bullpen for late-inning situations.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don,
If Nap signs, he most likely shares time with Rua/Profar. Josh would play LF providing he can get back up. Not sure what we do with Loney. 1st base is beginning to get a little crowded with all the options. Not sure if Loney makes it back. Robinson as a UIF sounds nice but complicates Pro's situation even further and none of this takes in consideration the DH. That could be Josh Choo Nap Rua and Profar. Sounds like a pot luck dinner. Thanks for the read.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
INFO ONLY
A's to rename their stadium to: Rickey Henderson Coliseum. Poor guy was better than that.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
INFO ONLY
A's to rename their stadium to: Rickey Henderson Coliseum. Poor guy was better than that.

No that cocksucker is just as big of a piece of shit as that stadium and he deserves that place being need after him.

I asked that asshole for an autograph after a ST game in AZ when I was 14 and he told me promptly to get away from him and "go fuck myself", which enraged the Dad of my best friend who tried to go on the field and stomp his ass! F Ricky Henderson!!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that cocksucker is just as big of a piece of shit as that stadium and he deserves that place being need after him.

I asked that asshole for an autograph after a ST game in AZ when I was 14 and he told me promptly to get away from him and "go fuck myself", which enraged the Dad of my best friend who tried to go on the field and stomp his ass! F Ricky Henderson!!

I didn't watch him play much, but what little I did see, the guy seemed like a major douchebag.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN’s Jayson Stark, Major League Baseball made formal proposals to the players’ union to “usher in changes.” Those changes, for starters, could result in this being the year baseball “raises the strike zone and does away with the practice of intentional walks.”

The intentional walk modification would get rid of the pitcher throwing four “soft pitches” outside of the strike zone. The team could simply give some sort of signification they want to intentionally walk a batter. This would hopefully “eliminate dead time.”

“Data shows that umpires have been increasingly calling strikes on so many pitches below the knees that, if umpires enforce the redefined strike zone, it would effectively raise the zone by an estimated 2 inches,” explained Stark.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don,
If Nap signs, he most likely shares time with Rua/Profar. Josh would play LF providing he can get back up. Not sure what we do with Loney. 1st base is beginning to get a little crowded with all the options. Not sure if Loney makes it back. Robinson as a UIF sounds nice but complicates Pro's situation even further and none of this takes in consideration the DH. That could be Josh Choo Nap Rua and Profar. Sounds like a pot luck dinner. Thanks for the read.

If Nap signs then I don't see Profar getting many outings at 1st. And I can't see Hamilton being able to play LF except under an emergency situation. Actually, I strongly suspect Josh's body will betray him before the end of ST.

I don't see Robinson making the squad initially. Unless Profar is moved.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just the field, not the stadium itself.
So now it is a thing to name not only the stadium, but the actual playing field? Maybe we could sell naming rights for each position on the field, both batter's boxes, both bullpens and both dugouts. Maybe each foul pole and each foul line as well?

"And Beltre swings from the Bank of America batter's box and grounds the ball past the American Airlines third base down the Mastercard foul line into the Coca Cola Left Field. Beltre slides into the General Motors second base for a double."

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talks Between Rangers, Mike Napoli "Progressing"

10:57am: Two sources have told Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram that the Rangers and Napoli have a one-year deal in place, while two others have informed him they’re “close” to a contract (Twitter link). Either way, an agreement looks likely.

10:49am: The Rangers have been pursuing free agent first baseman/designated hitter Mike Napoli throughout the offseason, and it appears the two are getting closer to a deal. The sides are making progress in talks, per FanRag’s Jon Heyman, who adds that “things now look positive” (Twitter links).

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Napoli from TR Sullivan

Hearing much of the same (from Wilson)....all signs point to getting it done as early as today