• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One theory being floated by Evan Grant is that the Rangers could be waiting until Feb. 14th to sign Napoli because that is the first date they can transfer guys like Prince and Diekman to the 60 day DL opening up space on the 40 man roster. That way they can sign Napoli and not have to expose anyone to waivers.

Just goes to show the machinations JD has to deal with.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun With Prospects

Cole Ragans (19, LHP) - Okay I know I said just under-the-radar and it’s hard for first round picks to be under-the-radar but I’ve been wanting an excuse to talk Ragans as he’s been lower than I thought he would be on most Rangers’ rankings lists I’ve seen. Physically, he’s the freakin’ prototypical lefty. A 6’4”, 190 lb. 19 year old that throws low-90s fastball/curve/change and all can be plus. He’s got good command and could add weight and velo. And he takes a big deep breath before every pitch. The Rangers drafted Ragans with the 30th overall pick in 2016 and paid him 2 mil then gave him 7 innings in the Rookie League to whet his pro-ball whistle. His ceiling is going to be compared to Cole Hamels until he debuts, which might be unfair, and it doesn’t help that they have the same name, play for the same org, and he even kinda looks like Hamels. He does have some cons; his mechanics will go wonky on him occasionally and he struggles with consistency like most 19 year olds. But if Ragans can develop some steadiness he could cruise through the lower levels this year and next, and could start being looked at as more TORPy than MORPy by the time he’s flirting with his ML debut.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could a reunion between the Texas Rangers and Mike Napoli take place on Valentine's Day?

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News suggests February 14 as the possible date the free agent first baseman signs with the Rangers, and it is no mere coincidence. That is the first day that Prince Fielder and Jake Diekman can be moved to the 60-day disabled list. Fielder technically remains on the roster following career-ending neck surgery and Diekman is expected to miss several months following colon surgery.

For insurance purposes, the Rangers need to keep Fielder on the roster during the offseason. Players on the 60-day DL do not count against the 40-man roster.

Once we reach the middle of February, the Rangers would have the roster flexibility to sign Napoli, who has been looking for a multi-year contract after belting 34 homers and driving in 101 runs for the Cleveland Indians last season.

The Rangers are looking for a first baseman after Mitch Moreland signed as a free agent with Boston. An 11-year veteran, Napoli owns a career .252/.352/.480 slash line and played for the Rangers previously in 2011-12 and in 2015.

Napoli also has been linked to the Twins and Rays in recent weeks.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One theory being floated by Evan Grant is that the Rangers could be waiting until Feb. 14th to sign Napoli because that is the first date they can transfer guys like Prince and Diekman to the 60 day DL opening up space on the 40 man roster. That way they can sign Napoli and not have to expose anyone to waivers.

Good thoughts and something to certainly ponder rather than jump off the building.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been thinking lately about what kind of record I think the Rangers might be able to have in 2017. I will wait until just before the season starts to make my "official" prediction, but I am currently thinking low 80s for a win total.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been thinking lately about what kind of record I think the Rangers might be able to have in 2017. I will wait until just before the season starts to make my "official" prediction, but I am currently thinking low 80s for a win total.

I'm not going out on this limb until we get at least half way into ST.

Who knows? If we were to pick up Quintana and Napoli things will look brighter for sure.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's the gist of the article? I've used up all my free articles!!!!
Q: Jurickson Profar made clear last year he wants to be an every-day shortstop. Do you think his situation this season could cause any problems in the clubhouse if he is still a utility player?

A: There is zero concern about Profar's role in the clubhouse causing any issues.

He spoke up, perhaps at the encouragement of his agent Scott Boras to maybe send a message to other teams that he'd love to play shortstop and to come and get him. If the idea was to maybe force the Rangers' hand and deal him, it didn't work. They aren't going to trade him for less than their perceived value of him, which remains quite high. And his poor finish to the season at the plate didn't exactly increase leverage for himself.

Ultimately, I think you chalk it up to Profar being a 23-year-old kid who wants to be on the field more often expressing a bit of frustration over where he is in his career.

Providing the Rangers don't trade him here in the 10 days before spring training (they've had some conversations with Tampa Bay), I think it is incumbent on them to get him on the field more often. I think that shapes up as being part of a platoon, perhaps in left field with Ryan Rua and also getting 2-3 starts per week at infield spots.

Q: We've seen in the past players like Derek Jeter struggle with the pressure of approaching 3,000 career hits. Do you think that will be a factor for Adrian Beltre this season?

A: With all due respect, does anything ever put pressure on Adrian Beltre? Honestly, the thing that drives him is winning a World Series.

He's reached all kinds of milestones in his career and he basically shrugs them off. Clearly, the upcoming thresholds are more high profile, but I expect Beltre will reach 3,000 hits and, eventually, 500 home runs without experiencing anything that would remotely resemble pressure. Probably, he'll do something hilarious like hit a homer off of one knee or play patty-cake with the base on the big hit.

Q: What are the Rangers' options if Napoli signs with another team or waits too long for more money? Do they move on to someone like Chris Carter or are they happy with their current in-house first base options?

A: First, I still believe the Rangers will sign Mike Napoli, as I've outlined online in this story, so everything else is probably moot.

But, if for some reason I'm wrong (and the only time that ever happens is in every conversation I have with my wife), I think the most likely scenario has the Rangers filling the spot from within with Ryan Rua, or Will Middlebrooks getting a shot as part of the platoon with Josh Hamilton or James Loney. I don't think Carter is very much in the mix here. Last I saw, there was thought he'd look at going to Japan.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good to know.....I'll start doing what Bennie just did and post the articles content and not the page.

But since you've got it, I would not have thought Jurickson would ever be a problem child. He seems rock solid in the class department.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see much difference in the team with or without Napoli.

You think we'll get the same production outta of Rua/Hamilton/Profar/Middlebrooks combo than we would with Nap getting the majority of the time? Really?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think we'll get the same production outta of Rua/Hamilton/Profar/Middlebrooks combo than we would with Nap getting the majority of the time? Really?
I don't think the difference will change the outcome of the season. I probably have a little more expectation than most for Profar and Rua and a little less for Nap than most.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I do is stop the page from loading completely before that warning covers up the article.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the difference will change the outcome of the season. I probably have a little more expectation than most for Profar and Rua and a little less for Nap than most.

I'll start with this, I don't want to see Profar at 1st base.....Period. And I think it's foolish for the Rangers to continue to force this square peg into a 1st base platoon.

But I'm a fan of Rua and would like to see him get a legitimate shot somewhere. If it's 1st, so be it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant is saying that he no longer optimistic about Darvish's future with the Rangers beyond 2017. He says "I got the strong impression that Darvish was very open to discussing an extension and that there was a logical framework of about $30 million per year and 5-6 years around which to work. But I've gotten no information that the sides have had any serious conversations this winter." Well, all offseason the Rangers have been saying that they like to do those kind of negotiations in ST. It should come to no surprise to Evan that no progress has been made thus far since he and others have been reporting all offseason that the Rangers would wait until ST to start any negotiations.

Rotation questions: Extending Yu Darvish, the Lucroy effect, and which pitcher gets the No. 5 spot? | SportsDay