• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually we "discussed" this before dinner. But must say, it sure sounds like the condition is horrid.
Many times people who have Ulcerative Colitis also have liver problems as well. They don't really understand why or how the two conditions are connected, but a lot of UC patients develop the liver disease. Sometimes it results in the patient needing a liver transplant. They have warned us that it is possible our son might have to have a liver transplant in the future. I wonder if Jake has the liver disease problem as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many times people who have Ulcerative Colitis also have liver problems as well. They don't really understand why or how the two conditions are connected, but a lot of UC patients develop the liver disease. Sometimes it results in the patient needing a liver transplant. They have warned us that it is possible our son might have to have a liver transplant in the future. I wonder if Jake has the liver disease problem as well.

Bennie I can't let this pass without offering prayers and compassion on behalf for your son. All will be fine.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie I can't let this pass without offering prayers and compassion on behalf for your son. All will be fine.
Thank DT. I really appreciate that.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant seems to be worried that Yu Darvish's father won't be able to attend any of his son's starts in United States this year.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poll: Rangers’ First Base/DH Situation

By Connor Byrne | January 29, 2017 at 2:41pm CDT

Nearly two months have passed since the Rangers lost longtime primary first baseman Mitch Moreland, who signed a cheap deal with the Red Sox in early December. Moreland was never particularly spectacular as a member of the Rangers, with whom he batted .254/.315/.438 in 2,762 plate appearances from 2010-16, but the three-time 20-home run hitter’s departure has left the club without an established option at first.

[RELATED: Rangers Depth Chart]

Led by general manager Jon Daniels, the Rangers have been on the hunt for a first base/designated hitter type to help replace Moreland and Carlos Beltran, who signed with AL West rival Houston one day before Moreland went to Boston. Texas hasn’t reeled in anyone yet, though, largely because it hasn’t been willing to make multiyear commitments in free agency. The Rangers have signed three players – Tyson Ross, Andrew Cashner and Carlos Gomez – to major league deals this offseason, and all received one-year contracts.

Texas, which would like to at least partially fix its first base/DH issues by signing yet another player to a single-year pact, has targeted two-time Ranger Mike Napoli. Having hit .239/.335/.465 with 34 home runs as an Indian last season, Napoli would be a capable replacement for Moreland. The 35-year-old has not been amenable to the Rangers’ one-year offer, however, and they don’t seem open to locking him up through 2018.

Fellow free agent slugger Chris Carter has also drawn the Rangers’ attention after co-leading the National League with 41 home runs in 2016. Carter’s blend of power and patience is enticing, but his low-contact, high-strikeout ways and negative defensive and baserunning value led the Brewers to non-tender him in December. Those flaws have also prevented him from landing anywhere else since. As is the case with Napoli, the Rangers are open to adding Carter, but only for one year (on an incentive-ladenaccord, no less).

With Brandon Moss now off the market, Pedro Alvarez is arguably the second- or third-best free agent first baseman/DH remaining (depending on your opinion of Carter). To this point, though, the Rangers haven’t been connected to him or other unsigned options like Mark Reynolds, Adam Lind, Logan Morrison or Ryan Howard.

If Texas doesn’t pick up a free agent to potentially slide in at first/DH, they could let in-house options sink or swim to at least begin the season. The Rangers have addedmultiple brand names – first baseman James Loney and former superstar outfielder Josh Hamilton – on minor league deals this month. The contact-oriented Loney didn’t hit with either the Rays or Mets during the past two seasons, which led to a dismal minus-1.5 fWAR over 744 plate appearances. Hamilton has no first base experience, meanwhile, and has played in only 50 games since 2015 (none last season) while dealing with major injury issues. Thus, the Rangers would be hard pressed to expect much from him or Loney in 2017. The same applies to Ryan Rua, a lifetime .255/.308/.404 hitter across 464 PAs.

Other than those three, the Rangers possess a pair of 23-year-olds, Jurickson Profarand Joey Gallo, who used to be elite prospects and who could play significant roles during the upcoming season. The switch-hitting Profar is the front-runner to start the campaign at first for the Rangers, but his production (.235/.311/.341 in 648 PAs) hasn’t come close to matching the hype he garnered in his prospect days. The lefty-swinging Gallo could begin in the minors, and even if he doesn’t, his prodigious power comes with worrisome swing-and-miss tendencies. Gallo has struck out in just under 50 percent of his 153 trips to the plate in the majors, which would be less alarming if not for the lofty strikeout rates he has also posted in the minors.

As evidenced above, the Rangers have a high quantity of choices to fill two lineup spots, but there isn’t a single one who’s a good bet to succeed at the big league level in 2017. On the other hand, the track records of Napoli and Carter suggest they’ll fare well offensively next season, but will one of them (or another free agent) end up in Texas? Or will the reigning American League West champions go forward with what they have and perhaps reevaluate during the season?

(Poll link for Trade Rumors App users)

Will the Rangers add a proven 1B/DH before Opening Day?
Yes.No. They'll stay in-house.
VoteView Results

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouts say Andrew Cashner has lost velocity, but here's why Rangers like his upside
This Story is About...

Gregory Bull/AP

San Diego Padres starting pitcher Andrew Cashner pitches to a Philadelphia Phillies batter during the first inning of a baseball game game Monday, Sept. 15, 2014, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull) 11162014xSPORTS

By Gerry Fraley , Staff Writer Contact Gerry Fraleyon Twitter>:(gfraley

Gerry Fraley, Rangers beat writer for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, answered questions about the team in a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

Why are the Rangers so enamored with Cashner, especially at such a hefty price tag? He has had an era over 4 in all but 2 seasons...and played in a pitchers park in San Diego most of his career. Unless he can play 1st base and hit 30 plus homers, I don'y get it!

Fraley: Club believes pitching coach Doug Brocail and mesh well with Cashner. The problem is that Cashner's best year was 2012. He's a few years removed from that. Has the window closed? Scouts whom I trust all say he has lost velocity and has not made the necessary adjustment to compensation for that. They also question his durability. That said, there is an upside if Brocail can fix him.

What would be a bigger deal: Cashner winning 12-plus games, or Tyson Ross nailing down a rotation spot by mid-May/early June?

Fraley: Ross getting into the rotation. That would mean he is healthy again. A healthy Ross was good in 2014-15.

If Cashner and Ross end up being solid contributors to go along with Hamels, Darvish and possibly Perez, would the Rangers have one of the best rotations in the AL?

Fraley: Good but not in the class of Boston, Cleveland and Toronto. With Porcello and Sale, David Price will be a No. 3 at Boston. That's not bad. Cleveland needs to get Carrasco and Salazar back at full health.

What is the trickle-down effect from Jake Diekman's injury likely to be?

Fraley: Alex Claudio will get a few more late-inning calls. Also expect to see Keone Kela be used more often against left-handed hitters in late-inning situations. He held them to a .175 average last season. Andrew Faulkner, a left-hander, will get a chance this spring to re-establish himself.

Besides Gallo, perhaps, are there any other Rangers minor leaguers you think might make the jump to the big club out of spring training?

Fraley: The Rangers have put several prospects onto the club in the last few years and traded away a few, too. There's a lull in the system now. Drew Robinson has a chance at making the club as a utility player.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Help from a sportswriter?
Evan Grant: Elvis, you called me for some hints on how to propose to your girlfriend (Cori Febles). Is that correct?

Elvis Andrus: Yeah, Evan.

Evan Grant: How did you plan this whole thing out?

Elvis Andrus proposes to his fiancee. (From Andrus' Instagram page)

Elvis Andrus: It was at the Hyatt, the one attached to the Reunion Tower. It was just amazing. It was perfect, kind of classy and casual. Nothing too fancy. It was a great time for me and my fiancee. They pretty much took all the furniture from the presidential suite. The hotel staff did an amazing job working with me. They had to take all the furniture, all the sofas and TVs out of the room to leave it empty for me to bring the musicians, the classical musicians. To play violins, you know romantic music.

Barry Horn: Was this purely your idea?

From Elvis Andrus' Instagram page

Elvis Andrus: It was my idea. I pretty much knew what my fiancee likes. It ended up really special. That was her birthday, too. She thought we were just gonna go to dinner. She had no idea that I was gonna propose. The presidential suite ... I stayed in the room attached to that one. I pretty much let her know that we were just gonna stay the night there. We were going to go Uptown, have a few drinks. We went there early, around 5:30-6 p.m. I showered, I got ready. She showered, she got ready. As soon as I knew she was ready, the whole hair, makeup done ... I just opened the door. The presidential suite was attached to our room. As soon as the guys started playing the music ... I kind of called her, and when she walked in, I went down on my knee and proposed from there.

Barry Horn: At any moment, did you think 'what if she says no?'

Elvis Andrus: Well, not really. I was gonna have at least 90 percent sure she was gonna say yes. I was really nervous. Ten, 15 minutes before I proposed, I was texting Adrian (Beltre) and my brothers asking for advice. I won't lie. I was a little nervous. He (Beltre) was pretty much telling me, have a drink, relax a little bit. Have a shot to get the nerves to go down. Don't plan everything. Just speak from your heart.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis Andrus reveals more details of his proposal to his fiancee, including the role Adrian Beltre played
This Story is About...
Twitter
  • Email
Staff Photographer

Texas Rangers left fielder Carlos Gomez relishes the sports drink dump by teammate Elvis Andrus following his grand slam performance against the Seattle Mariners at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Wednesday, August 31, 2016. The Rangers won 14-1. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter>:(SportsDayDFW

Ballzy hosts Kevin Sherrington, Evan Grant and Barry Horn discuss the Rangers with guest Elvis Andrus. Here are some highlights.

Don't miss an episode:

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes

Or if you're on an Android device through RSS

Find the Podcast on Stitcher here

Baseball stuff
Evan Grant: How do you build on what you did last year?

Elvis Andrus: Well, I think just continue to work. Continue to keep moving. For me, it's just about never stop working. Keep getting better ... offensively, defensively, running the bases. Keep moving forward the rest of my career.

Kevin Sherrington: Elvis, what did you think was the big difference for you last year in making such a big leap offensively.

Elvis Andrus: Well, I think being able to finally simplify my swing. For a few years, I kinda got caught up in trying to do so many things on my swing. Every year, trying to do something different. Instead of going back to my strength, which was middle, other way and trying to stay in a good, strong position in every at-bat.

Kevin Sherrington: What is the No. 1 goal for you as far as improving your play?

Elvis Andrus: Everything. I want to improve my defense, cut out those easy errors. Those routine errors that I did quite a few times last season. I pretty much can't wait to get back to spring training.

Evan Grant: At Fan Fest, Jeff Banister talked a little bit about letting 2016 and the way the season ended be a motivation for the team going forward. Is it healthy for this whole team to kind of embrace that idea that we have to pick up something from last year?

Elvis Andrus: Well, yeah ... I believe so. That's baseball. Everything can change in one week. Those playoff series are so short that whoever gets hot in the right moment usually keeps playing. I think that we lost a little bit of edge. Like pretty much having an extra week without playing 100 percent of focus. It's gonna happen. It's part of the game. I think the same thing happened to the Cowboys pretty much. We're pretty much gonna have the same core. We're gonna have some new guys that we know are going to help us. Our starting pitching is gonna be better this year. Same bullpen. As long as we stay healty, we're gonna have a real opportunity to win the division and try to get deeper into the playoffs

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the life of me I can't figure out why we wouldn't sign Nap to a 2 year, team friendly contract. In fact, and I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'd kept Moreland for a one year $5.5 mil deal in the first place.

What I'm afraid we're going to do is either ruin or squander Profar's career because he's not a first baseman, nor at this age does he need to be a utility player.

Is it just me, but when I think of utility players I immediately think of guys like Rosales or Alberto. Guys who aren't potential starters, much less stars?

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the life of me I can't figure out why we wouldn't sign Nap to a 2 year, team friendly contract. In fact, and I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'd kept Moreland for a one year $5.5 mil deal in the first place.

What I'm afraid we're going to do is either ruin or squander Profar's career because he's not a first baseman, nor at this age does he need to be a utility player.

Is it just me, but when I think of utility players I immediately think of guys like Rosales or Alberto. Guys who aren't potential starters, much less stars?
I can't find one thing in your comments to dispute. Profar is a middle infielder and should be traded if we have no place for him. Regarding Mitch, we would not be in bad shape if we had resigned him on the cheap. He is far better at first than either Pro or Rua. Nap is ideal for the short term but looks like he is not coming. So march on and hope JD plays his ace soon.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers and Rays are suppose to be in trade talks. Profar is name is being mentioned.