• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Speaking of massive contracts for aces, Rangers righty Yu Darvish was “very open” to discussing a five- to six-year extension worth around $30MM per annum earlier this offseason, but no serious talks have occurred yet, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. While the two could still reach a deal prior to the season, hammering out an agreement of that caliber during spring training would be difficult, Grant writes. For now, Darvish is on track to hit free agency after next season.

Who else could they get for that $? I would be for it probably

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against. 5 yrs is to long for a pitcher with his health record. We should have learned with the Choo and Fielder contracts.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils Advocate here.

Let's say they offer him exactly that and he turns it down. The team thinks he's out of their market. So, do you roll the dice for 2017 and see what happens? Hope he's pitching great and we trade him at the deadline?

I'd see what his trade value is on the open market right now myself.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils Advocate here.

Let's say they offer him exactly that and he turns it down. The team thinks he's out of their market. So, do you roll the dice for 2017 and see what happens? Hope he's pitching great and we trade him at the deadline?

If he won't come off the 5 yr deal, time to go shopping. Main concern is him holding up that long based on his past.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else could they get for that $? I would be for it probably

that's the thing... if the Rangers are going to want to bring in a Darvish-caliber pitcher, it's going to take $30m/year no matter who's name is on the back of the jersey. I haven't paid attention to who could be out there next offseason.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's the thing... if the Rangers are going to want to bring in a Darvish-caliber pitcher, it's going to take $30m/year no matter who's name is on the back of the jersey. I haven't paid attention to who could be out there next offseason.
We have never even been able to land a pitcher like that before in regular free agency. Now that could change with the new ballpark.

Within a couple of years $30 million/year may seem like a slight bargain.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils Advocate here.

They won't give up on 2017 before it even starts though and that would be what they would be doing by trading him now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't give up on 2017 before it even starts though and that would be what they would be doing by trading him now.

This may be very well true. But if we don't feel we can resign him, his value is as high as it can get right now. We could get a lot. Like maybe a starting CF, a top AAA pitcher, and a AA pitcher.

Even if he pitches terrific and the team isn't playing well, his value drops substantially by hanging onto him. And with his injury history, we're in a pretty scary position by holding on.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just know to contend you have to have top line starting pitching. Beyond Darvish and Hamels, for another year, there isn't anything that will come close to that in Texas at the moment. Nothing coming up in the system that will be close either. Bennie has already pointed out the fact that the Rangers don't sign top FA starting pitching either, so where are we at in a couple years without the pitching to contend for division titles

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just know to contend you have to have top line starting pitching. Beyond Darvish and Hamels, for another year, there isn't anything that will come close to that in Texas at the moment. Nothing coming up in the system that will be close either. Bennie has already pointed out the fact that the Rangers don't sign top FA starting pitching either, so where are we at in a couple years without the pitching to contend for division titles

I totally agree with ya about "how to contend without pitching". Totally.

But the way this team is assembled today, do you honestly think we can contend for the AL crown, much less the WS in 2017?

And I must point out, if you watched us the last month of 2016 plus the PO you saw what I saw. And that's Hamels and Darvish, for the most part sucking-out-loud.

For Hamels, he is on the backside of his fabulous career. But are you counting on him for much beyond next season? At least from what he has been? Hamels has pitched over 200 innings the last 7 seasons, and well over 2,000 for his career.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the way this team is assembled today, do you honestly think we can contend for the AL crown, much less the WS in 2017?

I've said this before - I've given up trying to predict what the Rangers will do, because every year they surprise me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I must point out, if you watched us the last month of 2016 plus the PO you saw what I saw. And that's Hamels and Darvish, for the most part sucking-out-loud.

For Hamels, he is on the backside of his fabulous career. But are you counting on him for much beyond next season? At least from what he has been? Hamels has pitched over 200 innings the last 7 seasons, and well over 2,000 for his career.
I agree about 2017, but we will need a pitcher like him when we are ready to contend and if we play our cards right that could be within a year or two. That is why I am for extending him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Between the two of them I would tend to worry more about Hamels than Yu. Yu was coming back from a major injury and actually had an ERA of about 3.56 over the last 2 months of the season while Hamels wasn't coming back from anything and his ERA over the last 2 months was up around 4.27.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers’ pitcher A.J. Griffin aims to recapture hot start and rotation spot

The aim for Griffin is to recapture the stuff he showed in the first month a year ago.

He held opponents to eight earned runs through his first five starts (31 innings) in 2016. Shoulder stiffness, however, hindered his sixth start and he was put on the disabled listed for over a month. He returned June 25 and made 17 more starts the rest of the season, many with more than five days rest in between.

“I was almost there until I got hurt last year,” said Griffin, who thinks he may have returned too quickly when injuries to Colby Lewis and Derek Holland left the rotation thin. His shoulder issue was “a lot bigger than people probably” realized, he said.

“I probably needed about two more weeks. But I wanted to get out there and help us win some ball games,” said Griffin, who was 7-4 with a 5.07 ERA in 119 innings. “I’m a competitor like that. I’ve always been a guy who gets mad when they take me out. It was more out of necessity. I could still go out there and get people out decently but it was pretty obvious when I was throwing 84 mph for a month and a half I wasn’t at my best but then I started picking up steam again and throwing 88-90 at the end of the year.”

Griffin allowed more than three earned runs in just six of his 23 starts, but only went six innings or more in seven starts. After missing most of the previous two seasons, stamina was an issue. He’s been throwing since mid-December and has stretched it out to 220 feet.

“I’ve been doing a good job working on my shoulder stability this off-season, doing a lot of exercises to get it dialed in and ready to go,” he said. “Way more than I have in the past. I’m feeling good.”

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The aim for Griffin is to recapture the stuff he showed in the first month a year ago.

I quoted several weeks ago I thought he'd make his presence felt in 2017.

So I hope he and I are both optimistic for all the right reasons. ha

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May be we are overly excited,nervous and anxious about 2017. I am for sure. Houston is the only divisional team at present that may be better and they can be self destructive.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May be we are overly excited,nervous and anxious about 2017. I am for sure. Houston is the only divisional team at present that may be better and they can be self destructive.

Seattle made some moves

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much it will help because I think they still lack the pitching to be great, but Houston and LAA both improved their teams.

Oakland will again be Oakland, and F the Oakland A's.

Seattle improved their roster enough to win the division IMO.

Texas will not be as good of a team in 2017 as it was the last 2 years, unless they improve the roster some more IMO.

9 days or so until pitchers and catchers report.