• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a package of Kyle Lewis, Neidert and Vogelbach? Not sure.

I don't even think that'd be close with Oakland in our division. I think Haniger or Gamel would have to be included plus Moore. If they want to make any trade for any real help a GM isn't going to answer the call unless either Lewis is for sale or they are going to eat the entire contract.

Personally I thought Verlander for O'Neill and a PTBNL with Seattle taking on all of the contract should've satisfied Detroit. They got less than O'Neill for Martinez.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think that'd be close with Oakland in our division. I think Haniger or Gamel would have to be included plus Moore. If they want to make any trade for any real help a GM isn't going to answer the call unless either Lewis is for sale or they are going to eat the entire contract.

I agree and thought this earlier. It would have to be a young, MLB proven player and some young pitching. Moore makes sense. I just see the need to do it when you can sign a vet in the off season. We are more that Gray away from a playoff spot.

Personally I thought Verlander for O'Neill and a PTBNL with Seattle taking on all of the contract should've satisfied Detroit. They got less than O'Neill for Martinez.

I said this last week. Verlander and Miller for O'Neill and some pieces. I thought it made sense for both sides, but why trade for a vet when you can get an unknown?...with a broken wing...

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any team taking a chance on trading for this guy this year. This is the second or third time he has been pulled with knee issues this year.
I agree, I actually think he doesn't have much value in terms of a trade right now. He is injured too often. the guy has 200 plate appearances in the minors. He needs a full healthy season so we can see what kind of player he actually is.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I actually think he doesn't have much value in terms of a trade right now. He is injured too often. the guy has 200 plate appearances in the minors. He needs a full healthy season so we can see what kind of player he actually is.

I totally agree, but I actually would have had less problem if we traded Lewis instead of O'Neill in the same deal. Trading an injury unknown for an injury unknown made more sense to me than what JD did.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree, but I actually would have had less problem if we traded Lewis instead of O'Neill in the same deal. Trading an injury unknown for an injury unknown made more sense to me than what JD did.
absolutely, Plus Lewis is much further away from being relevant at the mlb level than O'Neill was. I know a lot of people are saying we have depth in the OF because Gamel, Heredia and Haniger have been pretty good for the most part. But in a lot of ways they are still "unproven" each of those guys have very limited experience at this point, we have seen prospects do well to start and fall flat on their face the next season and beyond. When evaluating a player it is a very fluid process especially with young guys. The O'Neill trade is so crazy to me I still can't believe it happened. The thinking that Dip has is not following a logical building plan

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing Motter with Espinosa makes no sense to me. Espinosa is hitting .162 and Motter has as much if not more defensive versatility as Espinosa. And Espinosa has shitty hair too.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and thought this earlier. It would have to be a young, MLB proven player and some young pitching. Moore makes sense. I just see the need to do it when you can sign a vet in the off season. We are more that Gray away from a playoff spot.

I said this last week. Verlander and Miller for O'Neill and some pieces. I thought it made sense for both sides, but why trade for a vet when you can get an unknown?...with a broken wing...

Initially I would've thought that O'Neill would've been too much for Verlander unless the Tigers ate a significant portion of Verlander's contract.

Now I'm wishing we would've just traded O'Neill for Verlander and ate Verlander's contract ourselves.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing Motter with Espinosa makes no sense to me. Espinosa is hitting .162 and Motter has as much if not more defensive versatility as Espinosa. And Espinosa has shitty hair too.

Also Motter has more upside. Maybe the Mariners wanted him down in AAA to work on some stuff instead of wasting away on the bench.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tbh I didn't really even think about trading Lewis. I probably would've preferred that to O'Neill. I'd say that O'Neill is a safer prospect at this point given his lack of injury history, strong minor league track record and close proximity to the majors.

Lewis doesn't really have any of those things on his resume.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Motter has more upside. Maybe the Mariners wanted him down in AAA to work on some stuff instead of wasting away on the bench.

I think that was a major part, no sense letting him sit game after game. He needs the AB's and working on his defense.....

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer we don't make moves for this year... We're not going to get to the WS with the pitching issues we have. We need at least 2 starters and another set up guy in the bullpen imo to have a shot...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer we don't make moves for this year... We're not going to get to the WS with the pitching issues we have. We need at least 2 starters and another set up guy in the bullpen imo to have a shot...

Obviously it would help to add another quality arm to the bullpen, but going forward I'm actually fairly comfortable with the guys the Mariners have in the pen right now.

Edwin Diaz: 3.24 ERA
Marc Rzepcynski: 3.57 ERA
Nick Vincent: 1.96 ERA
Emilio Pagan: 2.57 ERA
James Pazos: 4.10 ERA
David Phelps: 3.28 ERA
Steve Cishek: 3.57 ERA

The M's could use another dominant arm, but the much bigger concern right now is at SP. Also the pitching in general has improved over the last month or so. I believe if the Mariners add another starting pitcher and play more consistently, they're a playoff contender.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it would help to add another quality arm to the bullpen, but going forward I'm actually fairly comfortable with the guys the Mariners have in the pen right now.

Edwin Diaz: 3.24 ERA
Marc Rzepcynski: 3.57 ERA
Nick Vincent: 1.96 ERA
Emilio Pagan: 2.57 ERA
James Pazos: 4.10 ERA
David Phelps: 3.28 ERA
Steve Cishek: 3.57 ERA

The M's could use another dominant arm, but the much bigger concern right now is at SP. Also the pitching in general has improved over the last month or so. I believe if the Mariners add another starting pitcher and play more consistently, they're a playoff contender.

Forgot Tony Zych: 1.99 ERA.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Mariners wanted him down in AAA to work on some stuff instead of wasting away on the bench.

Like working on getting into a game in the 9th inning of a two run game and not getting picked off on the first play? Ya, he could use some work on that.

Motter is actually just a Bloomquist with a little less speed...and a lot more hair. I would have said with more power, but that ran out in April.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like working on getting into a game in the 9th inning of a two run game and not getting picked off on the first play? Ya, he could use some work on that.

Motter is actually just a Bloomquist with a little less speed...and a lot more hair. I would have said with more power, but that ran out in April.

I'd say a lot more power and roughly equivalent speed. I don't believe Bloomquist hit more than 20 career HRs and he had a pretty long career.